What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Monsoon Hot Tubs by Hanauma Bay Spas  (Read 12956 times)

Dalaina

Monsoon Hot Tubs by Hanauma Bay Spas
« on: April 08, 2008, 10:15:52 pm »
Hello.  I am new to the forum and was wondering if anyone had anything they could tell me about the Monsoon 2.0 hot tub.  It is for sale on Ebay and seems to be cheaper (and apparently better) than ones i found for sale locally.

My questions are specifically about insulation and its efficiency in a cold weather climate as I live in MN.  I was told that it had a polyurethane foam insulation around the tub and could be upgraded to insulate around the shell.  

Also wondering about servicing such a brand as i have heard that local dealers have had problems with online sellers not paying them after locals do warranty work.  

ANY information anyone could provide about this hot tub and company is greatly appreciated.  I just dont want to spend too much, but I dont want to get taken either.  Thanks for everyones assistance in advance.

Hot Tub Forum

Monsoon Hot Tubs by Hanauma Bay Spas
« on: April 08, 2008, 10:15:52 pm »

BubbaGump

Re: Monsoon Hot Tubs by Hanauma Bay Spas
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2008, 11:24:58 pm »
Hello.  I am new to the forum and was wondering if anyone had anything they could tell me about the Monsoon 2.0 hot tub.  It is for sale on Ebay and seems to be cheaper (and apparently better) than ones i found for sale locally.

My questions are specifically about insulation and its efficiency in a cold weather climate as I live in MN.  I was told that it had a polyurethane foam insulation around the tub and could be upgraded to insulate around the shell.  

Also wondering about servicing such a brand as i have heard that local dealers have had problems with online sellers not paying them after locals do warranty work.  

ANY information anyone could provide about this hot tub and company is greatly appreciated.  I just dont want to spend too much, but I dont want to get taken either.  Thanks for everyones assistance in advance.

Well it is cheaper...  Where do they make these?

$4990 buy it now price,
$798 curb side delivery

You have to hire the install crew and the electrician to install and get your tub off of the street.  $800+++?

Total Cost Approx $6588.00+++

You can return it if you notify them within 3 days, and you pay the freight to return it, probably $600-$800 freight to return, and the return is for store credit or exchange only.  

Full payment required within 3 days, 6-8 weeks to deliver.  Most local dealers will not require a paid in full, but they dont mind getting full payment up front.

Phone number on http://www.hanaumabayspas.com/contactus.aspx is a cell phone number, not a land line.

I know nothing about Monsoon 2.0...  But I would not buy a tub on Ebay.  And what I see looks like it would be a bad choice.  But this is my opinion.

You would be better off looking at Hot Spring, Caldera, Sundance, Arctic, Jacuzzi, etc...   You can buy a nice spa for $7000 from a local dealer...  

wewannahottub

• Time for your Sponge Bath!
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2008, 08:19:06 am »
Dalaina,

Hi, I haven't bought my spa yet, but one thing is correct, I would not buy on Ebay.   First of all, I am out $1400 for furniture I bought on line (not ebay) by using a debit card and they required it to be paid in full before it would be shipped (which never did--for a number of scam reasons).  I have bought on ebay before, using paypal and once had to use paypal's dispute system to get my $$ back.

But, like Bubbagump said==look at the whole picture-- what "nickle and dime" costs are going to be needed as well--electircal, hook up, delivery, crane guys if being lifted up...  Plus, I wouldn't recommend buying a spa I haven't seen, sat in, or wet tested!!!!  You want to know if it is going to fit you, feel right, etc.  

Good luck and happy spa hunting!!  

BUt, Check with your locals, though! ;)

CHrisi :)
The grass is greener on the other side because the bulls**t is better...

104 degrees

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2008, 09:09:50 am »
No Wet Test No Sale :)

wewannahottub

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2008, 09:12:39 am »
WHOOOAAAA!! :o :o :o

Dalaina--I looked at the Ebay site and saw the hot tubs---they look nice, full of bling, tons of stinging little jets, and the Tornado looks JUST like the Clearwater Orlando we wanted to get. :-?

I am also seeing RED FLAGS since they want PAYMENT IN FULL with a return WITHIN 3 DAYS with MERCHANDISE CREDIT ONLY and I don't see that they accept PayPal----I WOULDN'T BUY ONE OF THESE TUBS-- looks like people are giving great reviews--but I always am suspicious. >:(

Be Careful and look around.  You may spend a little more at a dealer, but there are other expenses involved that will be taken care of, not to mention the after-sale--the service, set up, and chems and water testing,... just to name a few.

Keep posting and let us know what you find.

CHrisi :)

Totally Agree with BubbaGump
« Last Edit: April 09, 2008, 09:15:00 am by wewannahottub »

loosenupspas

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2008, 10:25:51 am »
So you spent just under 6k on ebay, lol, and you have a hot tub without any service or dealer network, what do you do if something goes wrong?  Email ebay about your problems.....good luck there.  What I think many who are straight up price shopping fail to consider is longevity of the product, in other words how long is the tub going to last?  I think this tub is a totally disposable product.  In three years, it won't work and will need repair, parts will be difficult to obtain, a number of expensive problems will confront you and at that time you will decide to rid yourself of the tub, thus dispose of it.

6k is a good deal of money and for another one or two thousand dollars, you could have purchased a spa that will be with you for the rest of your life and be trouble free.

What is changing in the market place is many lower end tubs are for sale which on the surface look good but have no more than a three year life span. Go look at a venerable dealer and manufacturer and understand that the money you are planning on spending is a lot and for just a little more you can go first class and have long term satisfaction...........Warmly Hottubtommy

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2008, 11:01:34 am »
I agree with everyone. This is NOT a wise purchase!!

Do consumers REALLY pay in full to just anyone within 3 days of the purchase for a merchandise only exchange? I don't feel sorry for people that enter these types of transactions and lose their money. I really don't... ::)

At least Dalaina came here first! Now, we can only hope she takes our advise...

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2008, 11:12:13 am »

Apparantly better according to whom, the seller?

Every tub has foam around the tub perimeter. That statement tells you nothing about its effectiveness. The fact that foam on the shell is an upgrade leads me to believe the standard foam is, um, substandard on its own. The added foam will help but they've shown already they keep costs down in this area and I doubt their "upgrade" will take them into the "well insulated" range.

Once you get this spa and there isn't anyone local directly responsible to care for it you don't know what you'll get in this area. I personally think you should expect that you'll be on your own here. You'll pay the service person to do the work (NO chance he'll go after them to get paid) and then will have to hope to get reimbursed. Iffy at best. My opinion on this type purchase is you need to expect that you will be the service person and if that doesn't sit well now how hard will it be to accept later if/when it becomes reality?

ANY information anyone could provide about this hot tub and company is greatly appreciated.  

I've never heard of them.

I just dont want to spend too much, but I dont want to get taken either.  

Its not uncommon for people to buy based almost solely on price but in the end you get what you pay for. If you go in with the attitude "It may not be a great quality spa and I may need to be a DIYer when issues arise but I'm spending less $$ up front and realize I'll be having to put some back in to keep it going" then you're in touch with reality and maybe this will work for you.

Thanks for everyones assistance in advance.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2008, 11:31:09 am »
Here is the problem.  For the average consumer the expectation is all hot tubs are about the same.  They all are containers of hot water that bubble.  The expectation is that they work.  After all if you buy a car, fridge, washer, dryer, etc. it works.  Who thinks about dealer support or cost of operation with above products.  Or, if you are concerned there is real data about energy use or typical repair use.

With our industry there are few if any facts.  Hot Spring and Arctic have third party energy studies.  One can debate them, but they are there.  There is the self reporting system with the CA Energy Commission.  

This leaves the market wide open for companies to create snake oil web sites or marketing programs.  It allows dealers to say whatever they can to make the sale.  We have sold at home shows and state and county fairs.  I have always wondered how a consumer could spend $10,000 at the state fair?  What a strange place to buy a high end product.  How does a consumer seperate fact from fiction? :o :o :o

Bottom line, do your research.  If you cannot find out any facts, move on.

Oh yes, the holy chant of the forum:

Wet test, wet test, wet test. 8-)
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

wewannahottub

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2008, 11:41:13 am »
Dalaina,

hottubdan said it well.  Dan--could you tell her about the new Limelight series--youknow the bling, pricing, support, ets...?

Dalaina--I am not a seller, but a future buyer (still looking and waiting for tubs to arrive to wet test) but if you are limited in your budget, there a beautiful tubs like Hot Springs new Limelight line that would cost about what you'd be spending on the Monsoon (please don't scr** yourself with that deal :o) and have the dealer support, warranty, service, and, as dan said it--wet test.. ;D ;D ;D

Good luck--the dealers on this forum will not lead you astray.  If so, all of us other consumers will set them straight!! ;D ;D ;D ;)

Chrisi

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2008, 11:54:05 am »

Good luck--the dealers on this forum will not lead you astray.  If so, all of us other consumers will set them straight!! ;D ;D ;D ;)

Chrisi

And Chrisi packs needles and mind altering drugs on her so we don't mess with her! ;)

:-*

wewannahottub

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2008, 12:20:46 pm »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D :o :o ;D ;D ;D ;D

I thought you'd like that!! ;D :-*

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2008, 02:38:03 pm »
Dalaina,

hottubdan said it well.  Dan--could you tell her about the new Limelight series--youknow the bling, pricing, support, ets...?

Chrisi

Per Chrisi's request...

Briefly...

There are hundreds of companies that assemble, manufacture and private label spas.  There are few who are considered leaders in the industry.  Watkins Mfg., the maker of Hot Spring Spas is one.  I am proud to be a long time dealer.

One segment we have been missing is what I will call the bling spa.  Most of what is sold on line has lots of bling, but little or no local support.  We now have a product line, made by the industry leader, that has lots of lights, lots of jets, waterfall, energy effiency at great price points, sold exclusively by Hot Spring dealers, giving consumers great support by the dealer and the manufacturer, Limelight Hot Tubs  For more info search Limelight here or go to Chas' web site @http://www.hotspring-ventura.com/Limelight.htm

There are 2 models out now, the Flair and the Pulse, with the Glow coming soon.

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2008, 02:38:32 pm »

And Chrisi packs mind altering drugs on her so we don't mess with her! ;)

:-*

SPEAK FOR YOURSELF frozen tundra boy!
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2008, 02:42:32 pm »
Update.

We have Limelight on our site now.  You can see a tease @ http://www.hottubstore.com/portable-spas.html#limelight
 :) :) :)

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2008, 02:42:32 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42