What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Ampere v.s. Volts  (Read 8018 times)

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
Re: Ampere v.s. Volts
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2008, 04:21:07 pm »
Specs and electrical requirements are very different in Europe.

We would call that spa an "Export Spec."

Since you run 220 to everything, it is about the same as having an 80 amp main here in the US. That's not as bad as it seems.

You should go ahead and get your electrician and your Caldera Dealer together.

8-)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2008, 04:21:07 pm »

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2008, 07:06:23 pm »
Specs and electrical requirements are very different in Europe.

We would call that spa an "Export Spec."

Since you run 220 to everything, it is about the same as having an 80 amp main here in the US. That's not as bad as it seems.

You should go ahead and get your electrician and your Caldera Dealer together.

8-)

OK, now I have questions ...

If the oven and dryer are electric they and if they are 20 amps each (don't have either so I can't say, here in the States they put a HUGE plug on it - I'm thinking 35 or 40 amps) so that would be 40 amps with both running - the amount of the 40 amp breaker. Add a couple of other things and then maybe another 5 amps ... we are now at 45 amps (using European standards of 220 volt service) which is 5 amps over the main breaker.I will agree that it probably could handle that load.  Am I missing something?

If you add another device that has a high current draw - a tub - and it needs 50 amps (for sake of argument - what does it really need/) then you are approaching 95 amps, 220 Volt on a 40 amp 220 volt main breaker. This is assuming that everything is on at the same time - which might or might not happen.

How much more can a 40 amp breaker hold? IMO not much more than 45 amps running 220 volts.

80 amps here is not a large breaker panel anymore. A friend of mine who is an electrician explained that older houses had smaller circuits because they didn't use the amounts of electricity that we use today (same thing with closets - they had less clothes).

I would certainly get someone who's qualified (I am not) to analyze the power consumption af the house and answer the question. I would not put a tub on a small circuit breaker but I am very conservitive when talking about electrical capacity.

BauerN

• "...to feel is to believe."
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2008, 05:14:50 pm »
Deltanex,
Going to 3 phase should provide nothing but benefits (except for the initial investment), and will probably increase the value of your home.

Chas,
I shouldn't have missed the European standard one phase 220v.  This makes a difference in amps needed for some things as Watts = Amps x Volts.  So, you're right about the 80 amp example - making this a bit more minor.

Vinny,
If a 40 amp breaker does not trip at 40 amps, then it is not functioning correctly.  A 40 amp breaker is designed to trip due to the heat created at 40 amps.  Anything over 40 amps is a potential hazard in that case.  That's why we use the breaker - for protection from damage, fire, electrocution.  If a 40 amp breaker allows 45 amps, your safety is not functioning correctly.  

All things considered, an upgrade is most likely the best total solution.

Bullfrog Spas Dealer.  Raising the bar for customer service.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2008, 08:00:11 pm »
I asked my questions because in my head to say it's ok to add the spa just doesn't seem right.

As far as being 40 amp or 80 amp - we are talking 220 volts and 220 volts 40 amp is just that, it is not 120 volt 80 amp. I believe that in Europe they don't use the 120 volt standard at all. Running 220 volt appliances drawing 220 volt current gives the final rating of the panel. I upgraded to a 200 amp panel to get the most out of current and future power requirements knowing that it will be split between 120 volt and 220 volt appliances.

Breakers are capable of supplying a little more current than they're rated. For some reason main breakers can handle higher than rated loads. Cola, who posts here is an industrial electrician and he would say something to this effect on how long you can get by with over amping a circuit. Yes it will heat up but it can be done ... and this is his business to know this stuff and not the average person's.

Unless the Caldera is a 220 volt 10 amp spa I doubt it would be safe to have it installed in the current box. Imagine the tub turning on to heat with the oven on while drying clothes and you now have a overly high current situation.

Not trying to be a PITA but "thinking out loud" to get a correct answer.

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2008, 10:45:50 am »
Actually some of our Export models have 1500 watt heaters. That's 1500 watts on a 220 line, so it only draws 6+ amps for the heater. The pumps are different as well - for one thing they are Fully Enclosed Fan Cooled, and the 50 hz does some funny things with the HP they can produce per watt consumed.

All in all, I think the best bet is to get the local dealer and electrician together.

8-)

Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Vanguard

« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2008, 07:15:08 pm »
I agree with Chas.  Most of us here in the good ol' U. S. of A. know very little about European power requirements.  I just know that my wife's hair dryer fried 3 transformers last time we were over there.

Deltanex, the best advice is to speak with your dealer and your electrician - if possible at the same time - and determine the best course of action.  I know Caldera's system in the EU is a hertz based system, so most of us here in the States are not familiar with the particulars.

Good luck.
The stars at night are big and bright, deep in the heart of Texas and my Vanguard!!!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2008, 07:15:08 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42