What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Water smells Old...  (Read 3749 times)

Shanezam203

Water smells Old...
« on: April 04, 2008, 12:32:26 pm »
Hey Guys, I have had my tub for about 3 months now and I love it.  I went away for a week for work and came home and the water now has a must to it, it smells "old."  I don't know if something can smell old, but it doesn't smell as clean as it was weeks ago.  

I plan on draining it and refilling it, but any suggestions so I don't let this happen again?

Thanks,
Shane

Hot Tub Forum

Water smells Old...
« on: April 04, 2008, 12:32:26 pm »

Swell-Tub

• Scott
Re: Water smells Old...
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2008, 01:24:06 pm »
Hey Guys, I have had my tub for about 3 months now and I love it.  I went away for a week for work and came home and the water now has a must to it, it smells "old."  I don't know if something can smell old, but it doesn't smell as clean as it was weeks ago.  

I plan on draining it and refilling it, but any suggestions so I don't let this happen again?

Thanks,
Shane
Put fresh cleanwater in it every 3 months.....
2008 Jacuzzi J-470

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2008, 03:39:22 pm »
Drain at 2 months and 29 days next time! ;)

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2008, 04:53:59 pm »

Thanks,
Shane

Besides the brillian replies you have recieved, before you leave turn the tub down 10-20 degrees and hit it with a big doze of sanitizer.   THe hotter the water the faster it goes bad.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Shanezam203

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2008, 05:15:49 pm »

Besides the brillian replies you have recieved, before you leave turn the tub down 10-20 degrees and hit it with a big doze of sanitizer.   THe hotter the water the faster it goes bad.
Good idea, I will try that.

I appreciate it, Thanks Guys!

Shanezam203

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2008, 06:27:38 pm »
The water is fine now after I shocked it...  That was strange, I wonder what it was.

Thanks guys,
Shane

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2008, 11:03:27 am »
The water is fine now after I shocked it...  That was strange, I wonder what it was.

Thanks guys,
Shane

Generally, when water starts to get an odor, it is because of a high sanitizer demand or lack of sanitizer.  Bacteria is starting to take over.  A good shock dose of chlorine will usually cure the problem.

Shanezam203

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2008, 01:16:40 pm »

Generally, when water starts to get an odor, it is because of a high sanitizer demand or lack of sanitizer.  Bacteria is starting to take over.  A good shock dose of chlorine will usually cure the problem.
Like I said, I was gone a week, and came home and it had the musty smell.

I was thinking of draining it as it's been 2-3 months, but I shocked it and it is better than ever now.  

So I will continue to watch it, thanks for the advise.

Shane

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2008, 01:16:40 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42