What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: stain at bottom of my footwell  (Read 5079 times)

Ben_dover1

stain at bottom of my footwell
« on: April 07, 2008, 09:08:06 am »
I have a stain developing at the bottom of my footwell, its brownish looks almost like a burn mark. When I changed the water i tried to clean it but it won't come off. Any idea what is could be or what could cause it?

Hot Tub Forum

stain at bottom of my footwell
« on: April 07, 2008, 09:08:06 am »

Steve

• Ultimate Member
Re: stain at bottom of my footwell
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2008, 09:36:56 am »
My guess is that it's resin showing through at a thin area of acrylic. The acrylic can be stretched too thin in the footwell ( a common area for this to happen) when the mold is pulled and if not heated properly, the result is what you're seeing. Let your dealer know and take pictures to send to the manufacturer and your dealer.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2008, 11:57:38 am »
My guess is that it's resin showing through at a thin area of acrylic. The acrylic can be stretched too thin in the footwell ( a common area for this to happen) when the mold is pulled and if not heated properly, the result is what you're seeing. Let your dealer know and take pictures to send to the manufacturer and your dealer.

Interesting, I've not heard of that before. I guess this is where the experience comes into play.   Ben, lets us know how it comes out.  What kind of spa are we dealing with? how old?
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2008, 12:19:12 pm »
Steve's theory is a good one.  Especially visible in lighter colors.  Often excluded form warranty.

Could it be chemical?  Ozone?

Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2008, 12:34:37 pm »
Does anyone know how Chad finally resolved his stain issue? He had rust colored stains in his Jacuzzi...at one point, he thought it was his heater and minerals (among other things). I don't know if he finally got an answer though. :-/
Support your dealer so they can support you!

SerjicalStrike

• Reinstate Hank Williams!!
    • Great Bay Spa and Sauna
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2008, 12:43:40 pm »
I've seen it happen from the ozone jet.  The ozone generator oxidizes the minerals out of solution and deposits them right where it enters the spa.  It can usually be cleaned, when the spa is empty, with a solution of dry acid and water (be sure to use gloves) and some scrubbing.  

Ben_dover1

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2008, 12:52:32 pm »
It's a gulf Coast Spa and before anyone knocks it, its the first "issue" I've had in the 7 years I've had the spa.

Merlin

• Just here to help.
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2008, 12:57:29 pm »
We actually had the same thing happen in our spa the day after a customer wet tested and there was a few almost like burst burn looking marks and with an odor in the water but they came right off...
Knowledgeable, Friendly, Helpful and Award Winning Hotspring & Caldera Dealer in Southern California

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2008, 01:25:17 pm »
I've seen it happen from the ozone jet.  The ozone generator oxidizes the minerals out of solution and deposits them right where it enters the spa.  It can usually be cleaned, when the spa is empty, with a solution of dry acid and water (be sure to use gloves) and some scrubbing.  

This is exactly what I was thinking.

I know the appearance Steve's talking about but that is present at the time the spa is new and is the acrylic being stretched to its thinnest point at the deepest draw areas of the mold. It is and not something that just appears as I get the impression is the case here.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Spatini

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2008, 01:58:13 pm »
I noticed the same brown staining on the bottom of an Artesian Spa that I wet tested last friday, I was there 2 weeks before when they were filling it for the first time so water was only two weeks old , the stain was right at and around the ozonator inlet in the floor, and the shell color was whiteish ( dont remember the name of the color )

Ben_dover1

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2008, 02:12:33 pm »
I do not have an ozonator is this spa so it can't be that.

Thanks.

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2008, 02:35:30 pm »
Could be chemical related but the only thing I've seen do that is when a chlorine puck sits in the bottom of the footwell.  :-?

Did you notice it when you drained or prior to that? Maybe it was there all along?

A picture would be helpful...
« Last Edit: April 07, 2008, 02:35:52 pm by Steve »

Cyn

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2008, 03:57:34 pm »
Does anyone know how Chad finally resolved his stain issue? He had rust colored stains in his Jacuzzi...at one point, he thought it was his heater and minerals (among other things). I don't know if he finally got an answer though. :-/

Boni--I am sure Chad will answer later, but I believe that he is convinced it was from metals in his water.  He usually uses a metal-gone product when he drains and refills and for some reason, on that fill, he did not use the product.  He has since drained and refilled with the metal-gone and, as far as I know, no more brown dots.  

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2008, 10:52:05 am »

Boni--I am sure Chad will answer later, but I believe that he is convinced it was from metals in his water.  He usually uses a metal-gone product when he drains and refills and for some reason, on that fill, he did not use the product.  He has since drained and refilled with the metal-gone and, as far as I know, no more brown dots.  

From what I recall, you are correct.  Chad used Leisure Time Metal Gon on his fill and the dots disappeared.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2008, 10:52:05 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42