What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: J-350 says "OH" but was not hot.  (Read 11329 times)

pratzert

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
J-350 says "OH" but was not hot.
« on: March 31, 2008, 09:04:33 pm »
Hi.  I have a Jacuzzi J-350 and have not used it for a month.

When I opened the cover to check things, the LCD display showed the temp to be 106.  But the setting was set to 90.

So I felt the water and it was no where near the 100's. In fact it did not even feel like the 90 it was set for.

So I turned the pumps on to add some chlorine and the display started showing "OH" meaning an overheat.

Other than that it ran OK.  But after a while it took the "OH" as official and shut down the big pump.

I don't know what type of sensor it has or where it's located.... but just for the heck of it I cut the power to the spa for a couple of hours and turned it back on and it seemed to be OK, but then did the same thing within 30 minutes showing a temp of 103.

The question is: What happened to cause this in the first place and what should I do to avoid it or correct it ?

We have had several power outages in the last month.... I wonder if one of them could have affected the sensor or circuit boards.

Any of you Pros out there have any ideas or suggestions ?

Thanks,  Tim
« Last Edit: March 31, 2008, 09:40:43 pm by pratzert »

Hot Tub Forum

J-350 says "OH" but was not hot.
« on: March 31, 2008, 09:04:33 pm »

Micah

Re: J-350 says "OH" but was not hot.
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2008, 09:13:24 pm »
You have several sensors one of them is a hi-limit.  The sensor uses resistance to determine the temp.  If the sensor goes bad it shows that the water is warmer than it really is.  People who have hard water have more problems with sensors.  Also people who use chlorine have more problems with sensors (and pump seals)
Jacuzzi, Hot Springs and Caldera dealer in Los Angeles

pratzert

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2008, 09:25:34 pm »
Micah,

Thanks for the info.

Are these sensors something which are "user replaceable" ?

I assume they are in water line somewhere... but where?  Are they marked
as hi limit or low limit etc. ?

Tim
« Last Edit: March 31, 2008, 09:41:00 pm by pratzert »

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2008, 10:26:22 pm »
 Also people who use chlorine have more problems with sensors (and pump seals)

People who use chlorine vs. what?

Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2008, 12:51:06 pm »
 Micah you comment on the chlorine sensor thing doesn't make sense?  There are only 2 sensors exposed to the water, 1 is the temp (plastic) the other is the flow switch.

Pratzert, you may still be under warranty?  the temp sensor is in the filter area a small gray octagonal  fitting, the high limit is connected directly on the heater tube and easy to get to.  It sounds like you either have a faulty temp sensor or a bad high limit.  That makes sense?  ::)

Anyway the high limit is set to shut the heater down if the spa water reaches I believe 112 to 120* cant remember exactly, and you will also get the OH error.  usually if the temp sensor is bad you will get SN1 or SN2 or the screen will go into watchdog  ---  

Both are pretty easy to change if you are handy at all, and should not be to spendy.   Its up to you call a tech or go to the dealer and get the parts, I can give you part #s if you like.  That will really impress them.  ;)

pratzert

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2008, 04:05:08 pm »
Jacuzzi Jim,

Thanks a lot for the info AND the offer to give me the part numbers.

I'll take you up on the offer for the part numbers for the Hi Limit sensor and the Temp Sensor just in case.....  ( It's a J-350 )

When I got home today I checked the tub and it has now gone into the "Watchdog" mode with the four dashes on the display.

I assume it could still be caused by a bad sensor ?

I never gave it a thought that it "may" still be under warranty.  I can't remember exactly when I took delivery of the tub, but I will look for my paper work. Or maybe my dealer can/will tell me if I have any warranty.

Otherwise, I have no fear of changing out the switches myself.... I am fairly handy and have already changed out the Ozonator myself without a problem.

Thanks again.  Tim

« Last Edit: April 01, 2008, 05:01:53 pm by pratzert »

pratzert

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2008, 11:02:59 am »
Well.... I have some good news.....

I am still covred under warranty... but just barely.  I called my local dealer sho confirmed my tub was delivered 5-28-03, so I am just within my 5 years.

The bad news is that they charge a $90 "Trip Charge" for the service call, but I am told that this is normal and reasonable.

I figure I was going to spend $50-100 myself in replacing sensors, so if it turns out to be something big, like the circuit board, I will still come out ahead.

I'll report back about what the Tech finds.  He is supposed to come out tomorrow.

Tim
« Last Edit: April 02, 2008, 11:03:22 am by pratzert »

pratzert

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2008, 11:08:48 am »
The Tech showed up first thing this morning.

He replaced the Temperature Sensor.  He was in and out in 15 minutes.

It was covered under warranty, other than the $90 service call charge, which is probably what I would have spent on parts anyway if I had done it myself.

All seems to be working as it should at this time.

I had to leave for work as soon as he finished, maybe I'll be able to take a soak tonight.

Tim

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2008, 01:54:17 pm »
 Glad they were able to help you out!  Be sure to keep those part #s I sent you!

pratzert

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2008, 02:08:01 pm »
Jim.

I got that PM you sent with the numbers.

Thanks!  I'll keep those for future reference.

I appreciate your offer of assistance.

Oh... BTW... Yes, it is the J350 with the ProTech LCD display with all the buttons and adjustments.

We really like the tub and have been very pleased with our choice.

Regards, Tim

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2008, 02:08:01 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42