What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: HELP Gritty shell  (Read 16087 times)

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
HELP Gritty shell
« on: April 01, 2008, 08:25:17 am »
This ones got me concerned....anyone ever seen this? What to do?

The white sterling shell on my 2007 Caldera Geneva has a rough, girtty...almost sandpaper feel to it.  

Due to a lot of travel and insane work schedules, the tub hasn't been used in about a month.

The water was about 4 months old and in "ok shape"

A few weeks ago I tossed in some dichlor to ensure the water was clean.   I also added some Alkalkity Balance control. (Hmmmmmm). typically the ozinaotr does a terrific job, and I the water is decent.

Yesterday, my loving wife decides to do a water change out, and when filling it up, she calls me and tells me the shell is "bumpy".

I get home and yup. It feels like sandpaper!  It's all over the entire shell, were ever the water touches (however, above the water line is fine).  I've also noticed some discoloartion on the diverter valves.  I've seen this before, and that maybe due to 03 buildup (Cover kept closed for too long). I belive Caldera will replace discovered knobs under warrantey?

But the bumpy shell..what's up with that?

A Mr Clean Magic eraser does nothing.  I tried a cloth soaked in vinager and that seemed to help a bit.

What happened? Is my shell ruined? Is this a calcium build up?  the fresh water that's in the tub now reads perfect balance....what about internal plumbing?

HELP!    :-[
« Last Edit: April 01, 2008, 08:36:22 am by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

Hot Tub Forum

HELP Gritty shell
« on: April 01, 2008, 08:25:17 am »

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
Re: HELP Gritty shell
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2008, 09:24:57 am »
Most likely you had a high pH condition that allowed calcium to come out of solution.  

Since you have refilled, you cannot scrub it off.  The vinegar you were using has a low pH which is why you had some success.

Some people will temporarily bring the pH down, way down (scientific term) to help pull the calcium back into solution.  Low pH plus elbow grease should fix it.

Do not use pH Perfect and the like which claim to keep your water balanced.  If you have high calcium they will pull it out of solution.  They also tend to gum up circ pumps.

Good luck.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2008, 09:30:13 am »
thanks Dan.

So a couple of jugs of Spa down and let it run for....?
07 Caldera Geneva

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2008, 09:36:10 am »
Couple of jugs is too much.  Not sure what you want to bring pH to or for how long.  I'll do some checking for you.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2008, 10:20:30 am »
Relax. You have done what many have done before you  < scary music >

You need to drop the pH to about 6.8 and hold it there for about three or four days. Don't go lower than that or you could have other problems, and if you can only get it as low as 7.0 you're good. If you can't get it that low then your "pH tragic" or whatever you added is fighting you and you will need to change the water to get this all going.

Here are some tips -

Add Spa Down at about four ounces at a time, not more. The normal dose would be no more than three ounces at a time, but it is important to get the pH down fast now.

Don't bother to retest any sooner than four or five hours.

Do retest at least twice a day - the pH will attempt to climb. You must be strong! You must overcome!

Don't scrub. This stuff has the ability to dull the finish if you remove it by scrubbing. After three or four days, you may have a bit left here and there, you can usually just wipe if off with a towel by that time.

Vac up any calcium which falls to the floor - it will look like sand. The more you get out of the water, the easier it will be to keep the pH down and get this tragic chapter in your life behind you. Take lots of pictures...

Clean the filter daily by rinsing. Once this is all over, soak the filter in a good filter cleaner. You can get rid of the calcium by rinsing the filter in pool acid, but remember that you MUST degrease it first or you will ruin it.

This happened because the pH and TA both went high at the same time. In most cases, when the calcium comes out of the water you can just nudge it back. In your case - due to the water change - you will be forcing the new water to accept a load of calcium in addition to what it already has. Topping with soft water can help a bit, but go easy. Once the calcium has been absorbed into the water, you should do another water change. And this time, check the tap water. It may be higher than you are used to. Water districts can and do change wells or do other things which will send water with entirely different parameters. I know, because if I get one call like your post, I usually get a dozen over the next few weeks as it hits others.

I don't recommend any type of pH balance product. You have to have water which is amazingly perfect to start with, and even then they can do bad things. I have some customers who don't mind getting the pH, TA, and Hardness just right before they add the stuff, and it seems to work for them, but they are the rare exception, and I have already replaced one heater for them as it is!

8-)

Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2008, 10:33:06 am »
Thanks Chas.  I apprecaite the instructions. That's exactly what  I was looking for.

I'm glad to hear I haven't completey  F#@$@d   up my  tub.  I was just a bit concerned.  ::)

I'll start the PH down process tonight -  as you recomend, and once all is good, do another change out hopefully by the end of the week.

thanks! :)
« Last Edit: April 01, 2008, 10:34:13 am by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2008, 11:28:29 am »

Relax. You have done what many have done before you  < scary music >

Other people have screwed up MY tub??!?!?   That's kind of unsettling. :-?
07 Caldera Geneva

BauerN

• &quot;...to feel is to believe.&quot;
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2008, 01:28:27 pm »
A simple, low-cost prevention to this is to add an ounce of Leisure Time's Defender (or the equivalent product) every week.  Most of my customers use it, and we've never seen any side-effects.

And, YES, keep your pH and TA from getting so high.

Chas, love the "pH Tragic" - that is too true.  Would also recommend staying away from the "miracle" balancers.
Bullfrog Spas Dealer.  Raising the bar for customer service.

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2008, 03:16:35 pm »
Wow this is a great thread to keep as a reference...Is there any way to do that Bill?
Support your dealer so they can support you!

bosco0633

• Look into my eyes
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2008, 07:38:28 pm »
wow so strange, i have not been here forever, and just had to change out my water with the same issue, lack of use old water etc.  

Good to know, thanks

how have you all been

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2008, 08:48:45 pm »
Wow this is a great thread to keep as a reference...Is there any way to do that Bill?

I completely agree.  I see this situation often on the forums and look for Chas remedy.  I am surprised Doc hasn't put it in his FAQ section on his board...hint, hint.

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2008, 08:38:36 am »
Day 2 of the crunchy water:

by following Chas's instructions I've got the PH down to about 6.8 (I'm using test strips, so it's not exact).  I vacumed up a lot of calcium already.

I swapped in a clean filter and tried to clean the other filter. It's pretty bad; and filled with calcium.  I guess I need to get some pool acid?  I've never seen that before, but tonight I'll swing by my local pool store and see what he's got.

The game plan is to keep the PH at 6.8 for several days. Vacum any residual calcium up every day and swap filters as much as I can.  

I noticed the sandpaper walls are slightly better this a.m. So I am optomistic. but the flat horizontal surfaces are still pretty rough.

:-[
07 Caldera Geneva

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2008, 10:24:59 am »
Very expensive science experiment, Drew!! :-/
Support your dealer so they can support you!

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2008, 11:07:37 am »
Very expensive science experiment, Drew!! :-/

At first I thought I had performedd a $10,000. experiment.  :'(

I am hoping a few filters and the cost of some sodium bulsphate will  be my total expsense, but in the back of mind I have a haunting feeling I've shortened the life of my heater and pumps as well.  - Still,  not as bad as I first thought.  

Chas, should I be running the filters any more/less while I wait for the decalification? does it make a difference?
« Last Edit: April 02, 2008, 11:24:27 am by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

webboy

• hey bub
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2008, 11:51:02 am »

At first I thought I had performedd a $10,000. experiment.  :'(

Didn't you win this tub...or was that someone else? ;)

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2008, 11:51:02 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42