What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: '05 Sundance Optima plumbing question?  (Read 5040 times)

Ronnie526

'05 Sundance Optima plumbing question?
« on: March 22, 2008, 05:12:44 pm »
Hi, All ....
  Doing a flush/drain/ water change today.  Got tub empty, & found a SOLID MAT of "fur" in the "hole" (for lack of technical term) which my manual says is the Aquaterrace Waterfall Filtration Return.  Three questions ....

1. Could that be causing a "flo" error message?

2.  Does the cover come off?  I started to try & turn it with a big pair of channelocks, but it's either on REALLY tight, or it doesn't come off that way. (Obviousley there's no center allen bolt). I don't want to force it & create a leak.  I did take the back skirt off, but there's no access from there.... maybe from the side?

3.  I tried spraying water INTO the waterfall "outlet" with a garden hose to try & flush it out while picking at all the little holes in the cover with a piece of thermostat wire ...GRRRRR ...but I'm getting aggravated .. >:(  Is there another way to get water to come OUT of the waterfall return for flushing purposes?

Thanks for any advice!!

Hot Tub Forum

'05 Sundance Optima plumbing question?
« on: March 22, 2008, 05:12:44 pm »

Ronnie526

Re: '05 Sundance Optima plumbing question?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2008, 05:11:01 pm »
Hmmm ... NO responses ... :-/  Running out of daylight here & I have to refill ... Guess I'll just have to wing it.

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2008, 10:56:40 pm »
Not a Sundance expert, but it sounds probable your flo message is related to the "fur".
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

Richs100

• From a 1993 HS Prodigy to a 2006 HS Envoy
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2008, 07:30:21 am »
I will defer to the techs here, but could Ron try a flush product to remove the fur?  Swirl? Is that what it is called?
If you don't have anything nice to say about someone, come sit next to me.

Ronnie526

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2008, 11:00:15 am »
Thanks for the responses.  Typical of my Dealer, ( I BUY ALL MY CHEMICALS there & HAVE since I bought tub 3 years ago) .. kid explains(?) plumbing .... actually starts asking ME questions about the plumbing, then shows me where the "Jet Clean" (similar to "Swirlaway"?) is.  Followed instructions, didn't help.  Still have the "cake" in the tub.  Kid then explains that when he was working @ MacDONALDS recently ..... I'm SERIOUS! .... @ that point my eyes kinda glazed over & I left.  I really do enjoy my tub, but I would seriousley consider selling it & buying a different brand JUST so I could get some support.

BauerN

• "...to feel is to believe."
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2008, 03:33:56 pm »
Ronnie,

VERY sorry to hear about your dealer experience.  I recommend calling Sundance directly, in regards to their "support".

I would have responded sooner, but I thought a more senior Sundance tech would answer.

The problem with trying to backflush at the AquaTerrace itself is that you have a pump and heater between the waterfall and that inlet - your hose will not be able to create adequate pressure at the waterfall itself.

The backflush would have take place after the heater.  It  may be easier to clean it out from that intake.

Either way, I'm going to contact the factory for you on Monday.  I'll get back with a response ASAP.
Bullfrog Spas Dealer.  Raising the bar for customer service.

Ronnie526

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2008, 06:04:03 pm »
     BauerN .... Thank you.  I REALLY appreciate your help & the effort you're going to for me.  I'm not exactly sure how to get in touch with Sundance directly.  If you could let me know how, I'll do that (I don't expect you to do ALL my homework .. :))
     Looking forward to any more suggestions, and once again ... Thank you VERY much!

clover

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2008, 07:16:15 pm »
Hi, All ....
  Doing a flush/drain/ water change today.  Got tub empty, & found a SOLID MAT of "fur" in the "hole" (for lack of technical term) which my manual says is the Aquaterrace Waterfall Filtration Return.  Three questions ....

1. Could that be causing a "flo" error message?

2.  Does the cover come off?  I started to try & turn it with a big pair of channelocks, but it's either on REALLY tight, or it doesn't come off that way. (Obviousley there's no center allen bolt). I don't want to force it & create a leak.  I did take the back skirt off, but there's no access from there.... maybe from the side?

3.  I tried spraying water INTO the waterfall "outlet" with a garden hose to try & flush it out while picking at all the little holes in the cover with a piece of thermostat wire ...GRRRRR ...but I'm getting aggravated .. >:(  Is there another way to get water to come OUT of the waterfall return for flushing purposes?

Thanks for any advice!!

Ronnie526, I believe the water for your waterfall is supplied by the large circulation pump which is sucking water through your 1 micron filter.  Your filter is likely to be the source of your “fur”.  That filter should be changed 3 to 4 times a year.  It is imploding, and being sucked through your circ system. How long has yours been in?  
Trying to be the unbaised voice of reason.

BauerN

• "...to feel is to believe."
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2008, 07:51:45 pm »
    BauerN .... Thank you.  I REALLY appreciate your help & the effort you're going to for me.  I'm not exactly sure how to get in touch with Sundance directly.  If you could let me know how, I'll do that (I don't expect you to do ALL my homework .. :))
     Looking forward to any more suggestions, and once again ... Thank you VERY much!

Ronnie,

Check your PM's, I included the phone # for the Sundance factory, as well as a brief run-down of my conversation.

If you would, please let me know how this ends up for you.
Bullfrog Spas Dealer.  Raising the bar for customer service.

Ronnie526

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2008, 05:09:38 pm »
     Clover .... thanks for your response.  This stuff isn't my filter.  It's kinda offwhite & pasty.  
     I've been the whole route with filters.  Tried the cleanable ones, the permanent disposable ones.  I've been buying the $68 "disposable" ones about every three months for awhile now.
     What really irks me (and I realize there's a lot of Dealers here, so PLEASE pay attention .. ;)) is that I have bought all my chemicals & filters from my Dealer (30 minute ride from home).  Since I have realized that I'm NOT getting much "service" other than "lip" service .. I will now be buying my supplies ONLINE at a much lower price & they will be delivered.  I did try to do the right thing.
     Sorry for the rant, just getting a little frustrated. Thanks for your help!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2008, 05:09:38 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42