What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Bullfrog 331 jetpaks loud!  (Read 17125 times)

boatbuilder

Bullfrog 331 jetpaks loud!
« on: March 24, 2008, 12:03:30 pm »
New member here. I just purchased a nice Bullfrog 331 that was manufactured in June of 2000. Love the tube so far except for one major annoyance. The jet paks are loud at certain water levels! They chatter like crazy and its very annoying since its right behind your head. What is weird though is that if my wife gets in and we raise the water level more the sound goes away since it has more water around the jet paks I guess...but then if I raise out a bit it comes back... but then if she gets out of the tub and level of the water sinks even further then the 'chatter' suction sound goes away.

This is my 3rd hot tub... I rebuilt my previous two and I am new to this 'Jetpak' feature of the bullfrog tubs. The concept seems great for leaking for containing leaking issues...but man it is just weird how loud these jet paks can get behind the insert. Can anyone please advise if this is just the norm for these jetpaks or if there is a way to possibly pipe these babies down a bit in the decibel department??
« Last Edit: March 24, 2008, 12:03:56 pm by boatbuilder »

Hot Tub Forum

Bullfrog 331 jetpaks loud!
« on: March 24, 2008, 12:03:30 pm »

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
Re: Bullfrog 331 jetpaks loud!
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2008, 01:01:56 pm »
Can you raise the water level up without overflowing? If its a 4-6 person tub and it is usually just the two of you, I wouldn't think this would be a problem.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

boatbuilder

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2008, 01:35:19 pm »
Yeah I could raise the water up a bit, but when we are both fully submerged in the tub... the water goes above the top of the filter intake opening and at that point its like the jets lose all of their 'bubbling' action. I'm guessing that the  filter intake is where it may get air into the jets a bit? I may be wrong.

I was wondering if anyone has an older bullfrog or newer model for that matter and knows what I am describing with the loud suction noise you get from behind the jet paks at varying water levels. Anyone? :-?

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2008, 01:53:28 pm »
Come on Bullfrog sellers.  Where are you? ;)
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

goodearth

• HAPPY Bullfrog owner
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2008, 03:39:36 pm »
Not a seller here but a Bullfrog owner. Question; is the sound from all the packs or just one if it's just from one move it to another location and try it or you cam go to a dealer to borrow a different pack to test with.

boatbuilder

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2008, 03:42:47 pm »
I got a response from a tech at bullfrogspas.com:

The sound is coming from the air intakes on the neck jets in one of oyur
jetpaks. If the water is lower than the air intake it works fine, and if
the water level is completely over the air intakes it is fine. The
problem occurs when the water level is right at the level of the intake,
because the jet is trying to draw air through the water, which causes a
sucking, gurgling sound. With a few of the neck jets doing this at the
same time, the sound is quite loud and distracting. I would raise or
lower the water level above or below the point at which this happens.
Thanks,
Bullfrog Spas

This explanation makes perfect sense to what I am experiencing. I was suprised I got a reply from a used tub yet I still email their website directly and got great turnaround feedback. Very impressive.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2008, 03:43:14 pm by boatbuilder »

In Canada eh

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2008, 04:44:26 pm »
Boatbuilder,

Don't be surprised by Bullfrogs response, the couple of times I have e-mailed them they responded in 4 hours.  They really are a great company to deal with!

I'm not sure what to tell you about the air intake noise,  we have had our 451 for almost 2 years and have not experienced a "gurgling noise" from, the jetpack. There are a couple of Bullfrog dealers on this site maybe one of them can provide a solution when they read your post.

What I can tell you is that the air intakes are not anywhere near your filter compartment so go ahead and raise your water level.  The air intakes are located in your equipment compartment so that they can draw in the warmer air that comes from your motor.

The 331 is a great tub, your really going to enjoy it
Bullfrog 451

BauerN

• "...to feel is to believe."
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2008, 04:45:11 pm »
boatbuilder,

Was working on Show prep today, and just got on the forum.

I've addressed that problem a few times for customers in my area.

Very simple permanent fix, and you don't have to regulate your water level.

Using a small amount of clear silicone sealant, fill the air intakes* - no more sucking, gurgling, or otherwise.
Because of the nature of those jets, you'll never notice a difference.  I've "Pepsi-challenged" customers, co-workers, and myself.

If you would like more info on anything Bullfrog, including upgrades, PM anytime.

*Put spa on "standby mode" first, and give the silicone at least 2 hours - so you don't have to do it twice.

ICE:  neck jets draw air at the jet themselves - they don't use the same heated-air lines from the equipment compartment.  The equipment compartment lines do have check valves to prevent backflow into the equipment area.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2008, 04:48:47 pm by BauerN »
Bullfrog Spas Dealer.  Raising the bar for customer service.

boatbuilder

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2008, 04:58:41 pm »
Ok where will I see these air intakes on the jetpaks? Will it be obvious when I pop the top cover to get access to them? Please advise.
Thanks!

boatbuilder

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2008, 05:01:10 pm »
looks like I need a '5th' post to PM someone...so here is number 5 ... sorry for the spam on the board!

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2008, 05:01:20 pm »
But by doing that you're just plugging the hole and stopping any air addition to the jets altogether. Isn't there a better way? Where does the hose terminate?

boatbuilder,

Was working on Show prep today, and just got on the forum.

I've addressed that problem a few times for customers in my area.

Very simple permanent fix, and you don't have to regulate your water level.

Using a small amount of clear silicone sealant, fill the air intakes* - no more sucking, gurgling, or otherwise.
Because of the nature of those jets, you'll never notice a difference.  I've "Pepsi-challenged" customers, co-workers, and myself.

If you would like more info on anything Bullfrog, including upgrades, PM anytime.

*Put spa on "standby mode" first, and give the silicone at least 2 hours - so you don't have to do it twice.

ICE:  neck jets draw air at the jet themselves - they don't use the same heated-air lines from the equipment compartment.  The equipment compartment lines do have check valves to prevent backflow into the equipment area.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2008, 05:03:43 pm by Spatech_tuo »
220, 221, whatever it takes!

In Canada eh

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2008, 05:12:11 pm »
But by doing that you're just plugging the hole and stopping any air addition to the jets altogether. Isn't there a better way? Where does the hose terminate?

The hose terminates high up above the waterline in the equipment compartment with a air check valve.   Each seat has its own air injection line, just cover the check valve with your hand to determine which one is for the seat in question.  I guess you could glue in a ball valve to limit the amount of air to that seat.
Bullfrog 451

BauerN

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2008, 05:13:59 pm »
Spatech -
No, the only other way is to add tubing, and a way to secure it above the water line.
Like I mentioned, this style of jet (direct, deep tissue - variable to lighter tissue) is not noticeably effected by a lack of air, because it is so direct, and very forceful.  The displacement caused by the air induction varies from jet style to jet style - in this case NO ONE has ever been able to tell with air from without air.  
This method solves the problem without continued attention to the water level being just right.
Btw - there is no hose connected to the jets in question - they draw a minimal amount of air right behind the JetPak.

Boatbuilder,
It's pretty easy to see, look at the four neck jets on the back of the JetPak.  There's a small fitting with a hole in it on each neck jet - only one on each, can't miss it.  Fill it completely, I try to make sure to get the silicone at least 1/8" into that fitting (so it stays in over time).
It's much easier with the JetPak removed, that's why I suggest putting the spa on "standby" mode.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2008, 05:15:42 pm by BauerN »

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2008, 05:38:08 pm »
Spatech -
No, the only other way is to add tubing, and a way to secure it above the water line.
Like I mentioned, this style of jet (direct, deep tissue - variable to lighter tissue) is not noticeably effected by a lack of air, because it is so direct, and very forceful.  The displacement caused by the air induction varies from jet style to jet style - in this case NO ONE has ever been able to tell with air from without air.  
This method solves the problem without continued attention to the water level being just right.
Btw - there is no hose connected to the jets in question - they draw a minimal amount of air right behind the JetPak.

Boatbuilder,
It's pretty easy to see, look at the four neck jets on the back of the JetPak.  There's a small fitting with a hole in it on each neck jet - only one on each, can't miss it.  Fill it completely, I try to make sure to get the silicone at least 1/8" into that fitting (so it stays in over time).
It's much easier with the JetPak removed, that's why I suggest putting the spa on "standby" mode.

That what I was thinking, just add a hose to the end to raise the level where it draws the air. I'd advise the owner to temporarily plug the hole in some way to see if he feels a difference in the jets with no air being drawn. If he feels no difference as you indicate should be the case then plugging he hole permanently with silicone makes sense.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

BauerN

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2008, 06:20:00 pm »

That what I was thinking, just add a hose to the end to raise the level where it draws the air.

This would be an awkward solution at best (I've looked at a couple ways to do this).

I'd advise the owner to temporarily plug the hole in some way to see if he feels a difference in the jets with no air being drawn. If he feels no difference as you indicate should be the case then plugging he hole permanently with silicone makes sense.

That's exactly how I did it for the first several.  Like I said, NO ONE has ever been able to tell a difference.  These jets are just not that dependant on air induction for optimum performance.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2008, 06:20:00 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42