What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Nordic shells  (Read 9305 times)

Chubby Johnson

Nordic shells
« on: March 30, 2008, 05:11:41 pm »
I heard that the round Nordic shells are made of recycled plastic milk cartons.  Wondering if it's true or not.  If it is true then wouldn't they be very cheap to manufacture?

Hot Tub Forum

Nordic shells
« on: March 30, 2008, 05:11:41 pm »

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
Re: Nordic shells
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2008, 06:34:09 pm »
I do not know if that is true or not or really how much it matters one way or the other. I do know that they used to be made from a company that used the same material and also made white water river kayaks. Now you know what a beating those take I doubt you will ever see an acrylic kayak slamming into rocks. But to also be fair this is not how a spa is used. The point is the material they are made from is very tough and durable it may not be as pretty as the acrylics but it is tough.

Just to add they started producing thier own shells late last year.

Sudzz

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2008, 10:03:25 am »
The shell on my 2006 Nordic is made out of the same material as truck bed liners.  It is extremely durable. We've had our tub for over a year now with several tub parties since and it still looks like new.
Nordic Crown XL - Purchased 12/06

TubsAndCues

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2008, 12:44:16 pm »
Nordic makes a nice quality tub.  The only thing I'm not a fan of is that you can't use bromine in their tubs as it will void the shell warranty.

I know that's not a big deal for most of the people on this forum as the majority seem to use chlorine.  I, however, prefer bromine.

Just wanted to point out that part since I'm a bromine fan.

104 degrees

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2008, 01:40:15 pm »
Nordic makes a nice quality tub.  The only thing I'm not a fan of is that you can't use bromine in their tubs as it will void the shell warranty.

I know that's not a big deal for most of the people on this forum as the majority seem to use chlorine.  I, however, prefer bromine.

Just wanted to point out that part since I'm a bromine fan.

They sold us Bromine when they sold the crown to us(we use chlorine now). did you hear this from nordic or is it in your instructions book?
« Last Edit: March 31, 2008, 01:42:05 pm by 104_degrees »

104 degrees

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2008, 01:41:36 pm »
I heard that the round Nordic shells are made of recycled plastic milk cartons.  Wondering if it's true or not.  If it is true then wouldn't they be very cheap to manufacture?

We have rolled our Crown xl to three different houses. up on a triler and roll it off. still works new. oh its i think now on its 6th year.

Chubby Johnson

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2008, 01:57:50 pm »
I called Nordic today and asked them about their shells and recycled milk cartons. Turns out their ABS base is made of recycled milk cartons. The round shells are polyethylene( truck bed liners and kayaks).

The girl I spoke with told me that they have had to replace one round shell because a consumer somehow put a nail through one.  

Something else I had no idea of, two men started Viking Spas. The quality of Viking was/is less than great so one of the two owners quit Viking and started Nordic.

A good conversation.  Nordic is very proud of their whirlpool therapy.

TubsAndCues

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2008, 02:20:26 pm »

They sold us Bromine when they sold the crown to us(we use chlorine now). did you hear this from nordic or is it in your instructions book?

We used to sell Nordic.  It was (or at least used to be as of about 1-2 years ago) in their warranty printed from the company.

Did you buy direct from the factory or from a dealer?

104 degrees

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2008, 02:49:43 pm »

We used to sell Nordic.  It was (or at least used to be as of about 1-2 years ago) in their warranty printed from the company.

Did you buy direct from the factory or from a dealer?

Dealer. they are belly up

TubsAndCues

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2008, 04:06:14 pm »

Dealer. they are belly up

I hate to say it, but I bet they gave you misinformation.  

As I understood it, the reason they didn't want people to use bromine was due to the floaters.  If a small piece of a bromine tablet was to fall out of the floater and sit for an extended period of time on the shell, it could potentially create a weak spot.  (HotSpring has a similar clause in their warranty, but a screen on a floater can fix that problem)

Nordic has a life-time warranty on their shell, so I think this is why they say no bromine.  However, since the material they use is different than other manufacturers, there may be a problem with discoloration or some other reason from bromine, but I'm just guessing on that.

One catch, though, and this is not against Nordic or any other spa builder, but at least in my state "life-time" means 7 years by state law.  The people at Nordic are all stand up people (I'm personal friends with a few of them) and I'm sure they would honor the warranty regardless of how long it'd been.  However, I doubt all companies would if the law was on their side.

Food for thought, at least.

And Chubby:  for the record Nordic does not want you rolling your spa!  I wouldn't suggest telling them about it if you ever do need a new shell!

Sudzz

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2008, 04:38:24 pm »
Nordic is very proud of their whirlpool therapy.

They should be.  It's my favorite feature of the tub.  Get those two massive whirlpool jets going and I could sit in there forever!
Nordic Crown XL - Purchased 12/06

104 degrees

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2008, 04:58:20 pm »

And Chubby:  for the record Nordic does not want you rolling your spa!  I wouldn't suggest telling them about it if you ever do need a new shell!

I roll my nordic.  I like the people behind the nordic spas also.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2008, 04:58:20 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42