What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: proprietary parts  (Read 6053 times)

Chubby Johnson

proprietary parts
« on: March 30, 2008, 05:22:38 pm »
Do proprietary parts matter that much when it comes repair time after the warranty has expired?

Does every hot tub maker use proprietary parts?

Is there even one tub on the market that does not use any proprietary parts?

A repair tech cautioned me against buying a new Jacuzzi because they use so many proprietary parts.  The same tech also said Emerald and Nordic have proprietary plumbing manifolds that were expensive to replace.

Hot Tub Forum

proprietary parts
« on: March 30, 2008, 05:22:38 pm »

Steve

• Ultimate Member
Re: proprietary parts
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2008, 07:21:37 pm »
If it's a salemans approach to gaining a sale by suggesting why someone shouldn't purchase an alternate brand, that is a very weak presentation.

If there is something specific you are referring to, we could maybe provide more detail.

A larger concern would be purchasing from a "no-name" brand and trying to find parts as opposed to obtaining a Jacuzzi (or other major brand) part readily all over North America.

« Last Edit: March 30, 2008, 07:23:19 pm by Steve »

Chubby Johnson

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2008, 09:01:01 pm »
Sorry Steve but I can't get any more specific than I already have.

I simply did not know if proprietary parts should be a big concern when shopping for a tub.

It sounds like it's the same as auto parts. For some things you can go to the repair guy down the street. Other times you have to go to a dealership, such as for air bags and some electrical componants.  It is a forced buying situation.

Correct me if I'm wrong.......

Vanguard

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2008, 09:26:19 pm »
I don't really think that is something you need to worry about.  If a spa manufacturer is large enough to have proprietary parts, then they are probably big enough to keep your parts available.

I know of a manufacturer in Oklahoma City who uses nothing but off the shelf parts.  The problem is they don't keep records of what they use at any particular time.

Hot Spring is at the other end of the spectrum.  You can still get parts for your 1982 spa.

I am sure all the other majors are just that way as well.  Again, don't let this be a deciding factor.
The stars at night are big and bright, deep in the heart of Texas and my Vanguard!!!

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2008, 12:19:42 am »
Like Vanguard said... if it's not a specific concern you are dealing with presently, I wouldn't factor it in to your buying decision as long as your NOT dealing with some shmuck from Colorado selling rebranded, home made spas with "special" tin foil... ;D
« Last Edit: March 31, 2008, 12:20:21 am by Steve »

Swell-Tub

• Scott
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2008, 01:06:16 am »
JJ can chime in here when he returns from the weekend. I think the only parts made for the Jacuzzi by Jacuzzi are there jets.

Scott  :)
2008 Jacuzzi J-470

clover

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2008, 01:22:07 pm »
Proprietary parts are common amongst manufacturers in the industry.  Some manufacturers use motors with unique applications which make them not compatible with “generic” replacement parts.  It is strongly suggested that one would have a good working relationship with a dealer making this a non-issue.  On the other hand, if and when you try to find a replacement items for your spa, it could turn into a frustrating and expensive time consuming experience.  Not all parts you buy are going to be interchangeable and may not returnable.  

Jacuzzi pumps are intentionally “clocked” in an unusual angular rotation attached to the plumbing, but they can always be replaced with a generic pump, but you, or the service person, will have to do some plumbing modifications and/or new union attachments making service more costly than replacing it with the same identical pump.  

Things that may be hard to come by, or considered proprietary and available only through the Spa Manufacturer’s dealer network would be circuit boards, temp sensors, some plumbing components, such as, manifolds, unique water features, jet components and attachments, flow switches, heaters etc.  Replacement filters also could be proprietary and available only through the dealer network.
Trying to be the unbaised voice of reason.

BauerN

• "...to feel is to believe."
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2008, 01:10:25 pm »
Chubby,

it technically could be considered "forced buying", but with the major manufacturers who use proprietary technology (i.e. Hot Springs, Jacuzzi, Sundance) - you will have no problem finding an outlet for replacement parts.
You shouldn't have a problem finding a qualified service tech either.  Those are very popular brands which have been around for a long time (building dealer and service networks).
As for the parts being much more expensive - that's not typically the case with the larger brands.  Buying a comparable quality "common" part will cost very close to the same quality "proprietary".

If you have a good dealer, and they have a spa that fits you - don't let this issue stop you.
Bullfrog Spas Dealer.  Raising the bar for customer service.

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2008, 03:16:18 pm »
JJ can chime in here when he returns from the weekend. I think the only parts made for the Jacuzzi by Jacuzzi are there jets.

Scott  :)

Jacuzzi and Sundance jets are designed by Jacuzzi and Sundance, and built by Waterway and or  Pentair depending on jets.  

Most jets  come from these manufacturers, and probably Hydroair as well?

Most smaller and some larger manufacturers use the same generic  jets, I know for a fact that I can take one  certain Sundance jet and put in an Artesian,not sure they are still using that one? Same with other spas and probably the new limelight, as well by looking at the pics I have seen of their jets.  
 Not a bad thing, but when a company states they have unique hydrotherapy because of their  jets it can be true to a point, but most lower end of the scale manufacturers use the same style jets from the same builder, D1 being one of them teir jets are identical to Artesians.
  I have however not  found a jet yet that feels like the new FX2 or the RX jet designed by Jacuzzi, same can be said for Sundance and Hot springs Moto massage, not sure on H,springs other jets I would have to see the jet back to tell if it is interchangeable with other spas.

As for Jacuzzi/ Sundance parts the circuit boards and topsides and a couple of senors will be hard to find,that being said you or I can find older Sundance and Jacuzzi parts on line and I am sure you can get them either way from any dealer if they are nice like me. ;D
« Last Edit: April 01, 2008, 03:26:41 pm by Jacuzzi_Jim »

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2008, 03:16:18 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42