What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: pH is high but Alkalinity is low  (Read 11449 times)

solo

pH is high but Alkalinity is low
« on: March 26, 2008, 12:52:09 pm »
I had nice stable water chemistry for months, then came time to drain and refill.

It doesn't look bad:

Calcium= 280
pH= 7.8
TA = 61

But I would prefer the pH to be a tad lower and the TA to be a tad higher.

What should I do?

Hot Tub Forum

pH is high but Alkalinity is low
« on: March 26, 2008, 12:52:09 pm »

soak-king

• Where did that dang duck go anyway?
    • Backyard Oasis
Re: pH is high but Alkalinity is low
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2008, 01:05:53 pm »
I am far from being a chem expert and hopefully a few will chime in, but, in my limited experience you always address Alk first and then fine tune your PH afte Alk is in range.

Hope this helps.
If you can smile when things go wrong, you have someone in mind to blame.

It IS as bad as you think and they ARE out to get you.

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2008, 01:27:12 pm »
Soak King is correct.

Raise TA.

Then drop pH.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2008, 03:52:09 pm »
I had nice stable water chemistry for months, then came time to drain and refill.

It doesn't look bad:

Calcium= 280
pH= 7.8
TA = 61

But I would prefer the pH to be a tad lower and the TA to be a tad higher.

What should I do?
If those readings are what you got right after your refill  w/o adding anything, I'd recommend just letting it be for a few days and see where your pH and alk go. Typically, a low alkalinity will draw down your pH.

sonofsail

• Hi Y'all
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2008, 11:33:39 pm »
Wait a few days, as Chad suggested. If the pH is still high, add a little pH down (or dilute muriatic acid) to lower pH to 7.0 - 7.2.  Then add  some baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) to raise TA.  This should also pick up the pH a little.  Easy does it when adjusting chemicals, you can always add more, but once its in there you can't easily get it out.
"Growing older but not up..."

TubsAndCues

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2008, 01:50:10 pm »
There's no reason to wait.  In fact, the longer you wait the more potential damage you can do.  As your total alkalinity drops on you, your pH will drop as well, but you could very well see a drastic drop in pH.  

If you allow your pH to stay low over a period of time, a few things will happen:

1.  Corrosion of the surfaces and equipment.  Allowing your pH to stay acidic will drastically shorten the life of you tub.
2.  Chlorine leaves the water prematurely with a pH below 7.2
3.  Skin, eye and possibly breathing irritation.
4.  Degradation of your cover.

And for the record, if you are adjusting levels in your tub, the proper order is this:
1.  Total alkalinity
2.  pH
3.  Calcium hardness
4.  Sanitizer (or shock)

Hope this helps.

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2008, 07:04:44 am »
I also agree with Chad.  In this case the pH is on the high side of normal and TA is slightly low, but not too low.  The lower TA should draw the pH down at which time you can raise both with a little baking soda.  Just keep an eye on pH to be sure it doesn't drift out of the recommended 7.2-7.8.

magoomba

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2008, 10:17:50 am »
Is there an ideal time to test for these readings?  Meaning, should they be tested before adding chlorine, after adding chlorine; before using the tub, after using the tub; etc.?  I use a digital tester that someone recommended here and I find the pH, Alk and Cl levels change before and after adding chlorine and before and after using the tub (I use MPS 10 mins before each soak).  Given this, which reading is the "accurate" one, or should it always be within the recommended ranges, regardless of when tested?
Thanks.

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2008, 10:39:42 am »
I never test more than once a week.  Testing too often causes water micromanagement...definitely not a good thing.  Normally I soak with a cup of coffee first thing on Saturday morning and then test after soaking before my normal apres-soak chlorine addition...works for me... 8-)
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2008, 10:45:17 am »
Being that your pH is in range, I too would suggest leaving it for a few days and retesting. There is no concern of damage or skin irritation considering that the water is NOT acidic at this point. A low TA will tend to draw down pH so you do need to keep an eye on it though. Chances are that your pH will not stabilize until you have a TA which is in range (80-120ppm). Adjust TA and use small doses of pH +/- as to not effect the TA over the period of 2 or 3 days.

I will however totally disagree with sonofsail!!

Muriatic acid should IN NO WAY be used to adjust pH even if diluted.

This product is ONLY used for EXTREME cases of high TA (500ppm+) and should not be used in a spa otherwise!! It is designed to knock out high TA and not for minor adjustments of pH.

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2008, 10:50:48 am »
Muriatic acid should IN NO WAY be used to adjust pH even if diluted.

This product is ONLY used for EXTREME cases of high TA (500ppm+) and should not be used in a spa otherwise!! It is designed to knock out high TA and not for minor adjustments of pH.

Not to mention how much harder it is to handle and store muriatic acid (liquid) compared to dry acid (powder)... 8-)
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2008, 10:53:01 am »

Not to mention how much harder it is to handle and store muriatic acid (liquid) compared to dry acid (powder)... 8-)

Zactly! That too!  :)

104 degrees

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2008, 10:11:41 am »
Soak King is correct.

Raise TA.

Then drop pH.

This is what i do. Hows the family and Jacuzzi been Solo??

solo

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2008, 04:30:56 pm »
The hot tub has been great.  No problems whatsoever.  The fam has been doing well too, though my health is still not quite right.  Gettign better, but not quiter there.

But I feel good enough that I don't feel like I must soak every day.  Down to 2-3 soaks per week.  

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2008, 04:30:56 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42