What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: How far is too far?  (Read 8872 times)

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
Re: How far is too far?
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2008, 11:52:03 am »
How far away can someone safely or realistically go away from there home to purchase a spa?  At what cost: increased fees for service visits.  There is a Marquis dealer in Houston and that is about 230 miles away from where I am.  Is the thought of putting Marquis on my "list" even feasible or should I just say forget it.  Experts / Dealers / regular guys and gals your thoughts!

Normally I'd think you were nuts for choosing to go that far but with the right dealer maybe it would work fine. It doesn't hurt to check into it but I'd want in writing what service would cost and under what time frame.

Go for it all: top quality/service/dealer/energy efficiency/wet test/aesthetics and a manufacturer known for backing their product. Marquis is a very good spa maker but I gotta think you have access to other top makers who may be local like Arctic, Artesian, D1, Caldera, Jacuzzi, Hot Spring, Sundance...
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2008, 11:52:03 am »

Tailhooker

« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2008, 08:35:09 pm »

Normally I'd think you were nuts for choosing to go that far but with the right dealer maybe it would work fine. It doesn't hurt to check into it but I'd want in writing what service would cost and under what time frame.

Go for it all: top quality/service/dealer/energy efficiency/wet test/aesthetics and a manufacturer known for backing their product. Marquis is a very good spa maker but I gotta think you have access to other top makers who may be local like Arctic, Artesian, D1, Caldera, Jacuzzi, Hot Spring, Sundance...
I will be checking out all the locals too.  A couple of the big dealers in town may not have the most ideal service reputation narrowing my choices a bit.

Tailhooker

« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2008, 09:47:48 pm »

I'm not aware of a Marquis dealer in Houston.  Who is the dealer there?  I checked their dealer locater and didn't find one on there either.  Just curious who has Marquis in Houston.
Update there appears to be a new Marquis dealer in San Antonio now only 165 miles away vice the 230+.  Going to check this out, they might cover my area.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2008, 12:33:02 pm »
Update there appears to be a new Marquis dealer in San Antonio now only 165 miles away vice the 230+.  Going to check this out, they might cover my area.

Service from 165 miles away is asking (or promising) a lot. When we talk about 50 or 60 miles I understand because I’d go that far for a quality spa if my surrounding choices were not satisfying but 2½ hours away? I know a lot of dealers that would say no way (ok, maybe a few more would go for the sale in this economy). I could see this more if you were on some outlying Wyoming ranch or some place like that where people drive 50 miles to the big city for groceries but in a metro area to go that far is unusual it doesn't hurt to check it out.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2008, 12:33:57 pm by Spatech_tuo »

Swell-Tub

• Scott
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2008, 01:13:20 pm »
I know this question is going to be a hard one, but how often does a spa need to be serviced. I asked this of a saleman and he said if maintained correctly then most problems are handled in the first 60 days. After that a spa only needs an occasional pump or seal replacement. So what have people on this site experienced? The reason I ask is that would determine how close a service dealer would need to be.

Scott  :-?
2008 Jacuzzi J-470

wewannahottub

• Time for your Sponge Bath!
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2008, 12:36:48 am »
I agree, Scott--

since Hubby wants an Artesian to look at, and ther are only like, 3 dealers in the US ??!!!!???  kinda hard to see and wet test them.

Any Artesian DEALERS on the forum??

Guess not, since I posted a thread about Artesians and where r they--no one that sells'em or represents 'em responded.  Only happy customers.  

I still don't know just how far is too far...

WWHT
The grass is greener on the other side because the bulls**t is better...

Tailhooker

« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2008, 08:06:25 pm »
I know this question is going to be a hard one, but how often does a spa need to be serviced. I asked this of a saleman and he said if maintained correctly then most problems are handled in the first 60 days. After that a spa only needs an occasional pump or seal replacement. So what have people on this site experienced? The reason I ask is that would determine how close a service dealer would need to be.

Scott  :-?
Hopefully not very much, I might be out of luck anyway as the dealer 160+ miles away doesn't have a Marquis Epic to test right now.

wewannahottub

« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2008, 09:26:16 pm »
Hopefully not very much, I might be out of luck anyway as the dealer 160+ miles away doesn't have a Marquis Epic to test right now.

TH--what other dealers/brands are in your area?  Anything comparable?

WWHT

Tailhooker

« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2008, 10:01:41 pm »

TH--what other dealers/brands are in your area?  Anything comparable?

WWHT
Sundance, jacuzzi, hot spring, D1, Cal Spa.  There have been some really good posts that put Marquis Epic as one of the best therapy tubs they tested over the rest of the above (Look at IL Parrothead's wet test journey).  Still looking to wet test the above.  Fit good dry in the Cameo (favorite so far), have to work a little deal to wet test (not at store site, they don't wet test anymore) won't buy without a wet test!  Can only get a J-465 to wet test and Jacuzzi Jim says that this model is not the 400 series to try (470, 480) so is it worth trying and not liking and putting blind faith that I'll like the 480 (new dealer, I found I knew a lot more about the models then they did).  There is the D1 Chairman II, good lounger (dry) but confined seating and small foot well might be a problem.  I can schedule a wet test for the vanguard and aria I think but dry the lounger felt a little small (I'm 6'3").  Cal spa nice dealer but the brand has had less than stellar reviews on this forum.  San Antonio has a Marquis and a Caldera dealer, but as many have suggested that is pretty far for service at over 2 hours away (large trip charge $$) 8-)
« Last Edit: March 29, 2008, 10:06:07 pm by Tailhooker »

wewannahottub

« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2008, 10:18:50 pm »

This is how my experience has been with my MasterSpas LSX.  At the time of my purchase and install (July, 2004), there was only 1 MS dealer in Florida...in the Tampa/St. Pete area...about 250 miles from me.  When I asked about possible service calls, the dealer was very upfront and said that he would make arrangements with a local tech to install/repair any parts that he would ship overnight.  As it turned out, I've never had a service call and, subsequently, a local spa dealer in Tallahassee added the MS line about a year after my purchase and has been very willing to support me should it be necessary.  So, in my case, I took a chance to get what I felt was the best spa for me from a non-local dealer and, so far, it has paid off.

For me, I don't know it would be worth the risk.  We wanted to look at Artesian Piper glen, but it is a 3 hour trip.  I called the dealer, who seemed very opinionated, especially when I mentioned Coleman (that dealer carried artesian for 6 mos befor dropping the line d/t business relations)----and I did ask about trip charges for service calls (I didn't even ask about delivery!!) and he told me at LEAST $150.  I just can't be that interested.  And, I doubt any other local places will be adding Artesian to their line up.  Or be so gracious if they did. :-?

WWHT
 :)

wewannahottub

« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2008, 10:29:10 pm »
Sounds like u r in the same boat as us.  My hubby is almost 6'3" and broad shouldered, and Sundance was too narrow and short for him, (we weren't interested in the Maxxus).  We want to try a J470--there is a dealer with a local store, but of coarse, the store further out in Morgantown, WV has the tub ready for testing.  Another dealer about 45 min away has tubs coming in, and will call when they arrive, and funny thing is, as soon as both places found out I was interested, they were already breathing down my neck to "give me a great deal that Ends Monday"--no go.  I will see and wet test first.

I am waiting for the Arctic/Dynasty dealer to get the tubs I want to wet test.

Artesian, IMO, would be out for the lack of dealers, but hubby is hooked on looking.

WHose to say, I know the HS dealers on this site are pushing me to try a Grandee--just doesn't bite me in the arss. :o ;D :P

I unfortunately have spent more time BS'ng about spas today than looking...
or anything else.

Incidentally--the D1 just didn't suit us either, except for the awesome therapy chairs in the AMore. :-? :-? :-/ :-/

WWHT :)

wewannahottub

« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2008, 11:10:32 pm »

Spatech tuo--You seem to be one of the most neutral posters on this site.  
While sitting here, we are looking AGAIN at D1 and wondered what opinions you may have to offer about Lotus Bay.  We had seen the Amore, but the only seating we liked were the 2 massage seats.

Do you, or any other spa person out there, know whether LB  costs about the same as the AB??

Thanks all 8-)

WWHT

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2008, 02:02:49 pm »

Spatech tuo--You seem to be one of the most neutral posters on this site.  
While sitting here, we are looking AGAIN at D1 and wondered what opinions you may have to offer about Lotus Bay.  We had seen the Amore, but the only seating we liked were the 2 massage seats.

Do you, or any other spa person out there, know whether LB  costs about the same as the AB??

Thanks all 8-)

WWHT

Those spas you speak of are pretty unique styling wise and D1 is a well thought of spa. Take your time and wet test untill your heart is content. Don't be surprised if you wet test the Lotus Bay and love it but also don't be shocked if you come out thinking its not right for you. Just don't find those things out in your back yard; use the dealer showrooms to discover what fits/feels best.

wewannahottub

« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2008, 06:47:40 pm »
[size=16][/size]Well, Spatech!!

We got a call for the D1 dealer (that also sells Master and Down East).  They had an AMore wet, and dry Lotus and Sarena.  So, we went out.  They dry run on the Lotus was a no-go as the very curvy seating meant my husband was banging knees.  Prior to this, the Amore was the best seat (the total massage seat) fit wise.  They also had a Master LSX wet and it looked nice, except for the lounger.  Jumped in that first,  I liked the reverse pull neck jets, but otherwise, I had to hold myself back in the seat.  THe other seat--some other total massage, was a little deep, though the dealer did state they had too much water in it.  

Then, once the dealer had all the loose parts fixedon the Amore, we hopped in that.  THe seats were perfect==we didn't float, but the neck blaster headrests left us SOAKED and splashed in our faces, until we turned them way down.  But at least we didn't float out.  Hubby still doesnt care for the Bench seating, and as we moved around the bench, either it was a thigh blast (cool) 8-) or some other parts in the nether-region getting knocked.   :o :o :o

All in all, it doesn't look like either will be a choice. :'(

We happened further down the road trying to get to the SOnic burger joint, and saw the Jacuzzi place,  I had already called the dealer earlier, and they were expecting a truck load very soon.  We only really wanted to look at the J470, but they had 2 480's on the floor.  So, for shitz and giggles, we hopped in the dry==Still not quite the height for Hubby, (headrest, he wants to chill back), and the leg jets were good only if I sat like I was in church  :-? ;)

Well, in the meantime, we are waiting for the Arctic Tundra and Dynasties.  Unless an Artesian dealer opens up here again, but I am not holding my breath.

Thanks for the opinions, though!!

CHrisi :(

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2008, 06:47:40 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42