What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: New Balboa VS510 giving me problems  (Read 5372 times)

nickPSD

New Balboa VS510 giving me problems
« on: March 22, 2008, 04:24:02 pm »
Ok, so a couple months back I was given a 1999 Cal Spa with freeze damage. I tore out a ton of foam out and fixed the cracked and broken pipes. I decided not to chance it again, and go ahead and buy a new Balboa VS510 from a online supplier. Installation was super easy,  all pumps hooked up with 4 pin amp connectors. New digital screen fit right in the old cal spa slot on tub. So today I go ahead and get electric hooked up, fill the tub. The spa pack goes into "priming mode" and the manual states to try and turn on the pumps to make sure to get all the air out. I try to turn the pumps on and all I get is a click. nothing happens, tried it a few more times, still only getting a click out of it. I double check everything, all seems well. Still only getting a click?  Any help would be great. Im stumped :'(

Hot Tub Forum

New Balboa VS510 giving me problems
« on: March 22, 2008, 04:24:02 pm »

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
Re: New Balboa VS510 giving me problems
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2008, 05:03:37 pm »
 Couple of thoughts, is the voltage on the pump 110 or 220 assuming its the original pump.  Even if the new pack is hooked to 220 it can still use a 110v pump.

The other is can you get a volt meter and see how many volts if any are going to the pump, long shot are the jumper settings right not sure if that matters on that system or not?

To me it really sounds like its not getting enough power.

nickPSD

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2008, 05:26:53 pm »
Well, there is 3 pumps total. There are (2) 5hp pumps for jets, and one smaller pump for the heater. The 5 hp pumps only say 5hp on them, I cant find a sticker on them that lists anything. The smaller pump on the heater lists the "V 230". Thanks for the help so far

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2008, 05:46:32 pm »
 I would really get the volts checked coming from the pac, go from there.

nickPSD

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2008, 05:49:20 pm »
Thats what Im thinking also. Im going to grab my multi meter from the shop on monday. Im wondering if some how a fuse got blown. I know the relays are working cause I can hear them clicking.

Does anybody have one of these that could help me in figuring out where the jumpers are supposed to go? I didnt get any type of instructions or anything from Balboa when I bought it,....
« Last Edit: March 22, 2008, 10:23:29 pm by nickPSD »

BauerN

• "...to feel is to believe."
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2008, 07:19:36 pm »
It's usually just one jumper wire to go from 110v to 220v on the Balboa Packs.
Caution:  I have yet to retrofit a 2-pump system with 110v pumps (doubt I will), so there may be a second wire.
I use the same Pack to retrofit old spas (and it's little brother for 1-pump spas).
If the jumper is the problem it would be going from near the pump 1 plug in (W1 on the BF05 I'm looking at) to "white AC", for 220v pumps this needs to go from W1 (or the equivalent) to "red AC".

Although...I've done quite a few upgrades with the VS510S, I've never encountered this problem.  Only had it with the 1 pump VS501, now I check them to match the pump voltage before I install.

Finally, after all that, I doubt it's the problem.  JJ's right about not getting enough power (that's exactly what that jumper does - convert from 110v to 220v and vice versa).  I'd check the power coming into the pack (and I'd start at the power connection on the board), it's not unheard of to have a breaker go bad or be miswired.
Bullfrog Spas Dealer.  Raising the bar for customer service.

tinybubbles

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2008, 04:05:15 pm »
Nick, a few people have had this problem on another forum.  It's always been a wiring issue.  Not within the spa, but at the main panel or breaker.  I'll see if I can dig up more info.

Dipstick

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2008, 02:55:57 pm »
The heater in that system will come on regardless of water flow so if you let if go for a while and you DO NOT get any diagnostic codes (mainly DR or DRY) then you do not have 240-volts to the spa.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2008, 02:55:57 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42