What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Heavy Cover  (Read 7741 times)

bobhol

• delivery in 35 minutes......or its LATE!!!
Heavy Cover
« on: March 13, 2008, 04:47:22 pm »
After 5 years my cover is getting heavier and heavier .It seems waterlogged.  How can I get it dry again  :'(

Hot Tub Forum

Heavy Cover
« on: March 13, 2008, 04:47:22 pm »

Vanguard

Re: Heavy Cover
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2008, 04:52:32 pm »
Buy an oven that is large enough to insert the entire foam core, set it at about 150 degrees until dry.  ;)

Or, just buy a new cover.  You got five years - that's not too bad.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2008, 04:52:49 pm by aquatub »
The stars at night are big and bright, deep in the heart of Texas and my Vanguard!!!

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2008, 05:32:24 pm »
After 5 years my cover is getting heavier and heavier .It seems waterlogged.  How can I get it dry again  :'(

The average lifespan of a spa cover 3-6 years so you did well. Once waterlogged (as yours is), it is useless at retaining heat. You need a new cover...

BauerN

• "...to feel is to believe."
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2008, 07:51:31 pm »
In addition to a new cover, you can try to prolong the next one with:

1.  A cover lift.  (Makes handling the cover without damaging it much easier.)

2.  A bubble blanket.

3.  UV protectant for the vinyl outer layer.
Bullfrog Spas Dealer.  Raising the bar for customer service.

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2008, 10:56:16 pm »
And even better, a thicker vapor barrier, possibly double wrapped. And remove the cover completely when shocking.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Summitman

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2008, 05:41:42 pm »
And even better, a thicker vapor barrier, possibly double wrapped. And remove the cover completely when shocking.

or do what Arctic now does and completely wrap the interior foam portion with "Mylovac" to completely eliminate the moisture absorption.

BauerN

• "...to feel is to believe."
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2008, 06:48:40 pm »
or do what Arctic now does and completely wrap the interior foam portion with "Mylovac" to completely eliminate the moisture absorption.

Neat!

How long is their rated life?
Bullfrog Spas Dealer.  Raising the bar for customer service.

Tom

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2008, 11:09:27 am »
How long is their rated life?
Mylavac (note the spelling) is a registered trademark for Arctic Spas' use of Mylar plastic as a cover envelope.  I do not have figures for the anticipated lifetime but our R&D guys anticipate that it will be superior to that of other plastics used for this application.  No doubt time will tell.

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2008, 10:04:47 pm »
Mylavac (note the spelling) is a registered trademark for Arctic Spas' use of Mylar plastic as a cover envelope.  I do not have figures for the anticipated lifetime but our R&D guys anticipate that it will be superior to that of other plastics used for this application.  No doubt time will tell.

Sounds interesting Tom but I imagine that the statement; "completely eliminates the moisture absorption" may be slightly overstated...  ;) If THAT were true, one would only need to replace the skin as the foam would last...well....forever! ;D

RK23

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2008, 08:58:11 am »

Is this patented by Arctic, or can we expect other brand's covers to have similar material in the next few years?

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2008, 09:11:46 am »
Or simply order one of Doc's superior double-wrapped foam covers here.[/u]
 8-)
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

Tom

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2008, 10:58:22 am »
Sounds interesting Tom but I imagine that the statement; "completely eliminates the moisture absorption" may be slightly overstated...  ;) If THAT were true, one would only need to replace the skin as the foam would last...well....forever! ;D
Goarctic clearly has a passion for the product.

Is this patented by Arctic, or can we expect other brand's covers to have similar material in the next few years?
I have no knowledge regarding the patent issue, and imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.   8-)
« Last Edit: March 20, 2008, 11:04:35 am by Graybeard »

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2008, 12:41:25 pm »

Goarctic clearly has a passion for the product.

Ok then... we'll call it "passion"...  ;D

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2008, 12:44:36 pm »

I saw these covers and process...As you say time will tell...in the past it is my understanding that this process has been tried but the heat breaks down the plastic...not from the spa but in the manufacturing process....perhaps it has been perfected

Summitman

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2008, 12:50:06 pm »

Ok then... we'll call it "passion"...  ;D

Ok so I slightly overstated with the word "completely"  Im sure nothing you have spoken has been slightly overstated.  

And yes I have "passion" for the product, that product keeps my bank account rolling.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2008, 12:50:06 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42