What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Mold on Underside Of Cover  (Read 3263 times)

bohms

• 2006 Artesian Piper Glen
Mold on Underside Of Cover
« on: March 21, 2008, 10:32:28 am »
We noticed some mold has formed on the underside of the cover.  It has a smell to it as well.  I did a search and it looks like most people use either Clorox Clean Up or bleach and water.  Has this worked for everyone?  We haven't tried it yet.

Hot Tub Forum

Mold on Underside Of Cover
« on: March 21, 2008, 10:32:28 am »

Richs100

• From a 1993 HS Prodigy to a 2006 HS Envoy
Re: Mold on Underside Of Cover
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2008, 12:27:22 pm »
When ever I shock the tub, I use a sponge to wipe down the topsides of the tub and the underside of the cover with the superchlorinated water.  Seems to do a pretty good job (except on my pillows.....my recurring beef!)  Have you tried this?

Rich
If you don't have anything nice to say about someone, come sit next to me.

bohms

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2008, 01:10:40 pm »
No we haven't tried that.  Forgive my ignorance b/c I never do the chemicals, we use bromine and I know my husband shocks it but I'm not sure how often.....

Richs100

• From a 1993 HS Prodigy to a 2006 HS Envoy
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2008, 05:46:31 pm »
No we haven't tried that.  Forgive my ignorance b/c I never do the chemicals, we use bromine and I know my husband shocks it but I'm not sure how often.....

If you use bromine, that's even better.  I used bromine with my old tub and as the cover aged, I would sometimes get mold on the underside.  I found the best way to deal with it was to make it a habit of spashing some water from the tub up on the affected area every time I got out of the tub.  I kept a plastic cup out by the tub to do this.  Since the bromine levels in the water are fairly constant (unlike dichlor), I found this would take care of the problem when it would appear.  Give it a shot!

Rich
If you don't have anything nice to say about someone, come sit next to me.

Shaamus

• America's SPA-MART
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2008, 10:01:11 pm »
I just bought some Sporaclean and am gonna try it.  The home improvement talk shows around here all talk it up.  I'll let you all know how it works.  You can find info on it at http://www.killmoldfast.com.

I've always used bleach or ammonia in solution with water.  But as a cover manufacturer, we've always been on the lookout for less harsh ways to tackle the problem.

bohms

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2008, 11:43:49 am »
Rich - I would have never thought of doing that!  Thank you!

Shaamus - I'm going to check out that website.  I want my cover to last as long as possible.  Let me know how it works.  Thanks!

Swell-Tub

• Scott
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2008, 11:59:33 am »
I went and checked our RV in storage yesterday and found black mold in the fridge. I took some clorox and water and it wiped right off. A 50/50 mix of clorox and water is molds worst nightmare. My wife and I have used it for years in the restaurant business. Most eating establishments use one cup of clorox to a 5 gallon bucket of water to keep the table tops and counters germ free.

Scott  ;)
« Last Edit: March 22, 2008, 12:00:29 pm by Swell-Tub »
2008 Jacuzzi J-470

Webini

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2008, 10:16:17 am »
I would add to this that when you clean the underside of your cover use a Mr Clean Magic Eraser.  Works, well - like magic.  I also use this to clean the waterline of the tub.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2008, 10:16:38 am by Webini »

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2008, 10:16:17 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42