What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Hot Tub Dealer Boot Camp?  (Read 7730 times)

James

Hot Tub Dealer Boot Camp?
« on: February 19, 2008, 08:38:05 am »
I saw an advertisement/article in the most recent Spa Retailer magazine (Can you imagine!? A Magazine dedicated to hot tub retailers? Only in America!)

The headline reads “Spa Dealer Marketing Boot Camps Announced”

It goes on to describe 6 separate 2 day camps around the country focusing on spa retailing and marketing from a company named “Street Smart Sales & Marketing

David Carlton, is the teacher and is credited as being a “recognized Industry Leader” and has spent the last 6 years as a VP of “A Major US-Based Spa Manufacturer”.

So far, 4 of the 6 camps have already taken place.

Does anyone have any info on these camps or this company mentioned?

The web site for this camp is listed as WWW.SPADEALERBOOTCAMP.COM.

James
Backyard Destinations
Caldera Dealer
Redding,Ca

Hot Tub Forum

Hot Tub Dealer Boot Camp?
« on: February 19, 2008, 08:38:05 am »

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
Re: Hot Tub Dealer Boot Camp?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2008, 09:23:08 am »
Sleuthing around:

David Carelton was Vice President of Dimesion One Spas.

David Carelton runs Sporting good success;   www.sportinggoodssuccess.com/

David runs power sports success   www.powersportssuccess.com/index.html

David runs  free referal workshop.com  www.freereferralworkshop.com/

Seems like a lot of similliar workshops that he targets specific industry to sell to.

I couldn't find anything in the BBB, but maybe someone involved with D1 could help us get a better understanding if he's  slick salesman, or the real deal branching out to other industries?
07 Caldera Geneva

James

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2008, 06:17:16 pm »
Come on now troops!

Let’s not let this topic die a quick ugly death.

There must be over 2 million spa salespeople in this most excellent forum.

Someone must know the real deal with this outfit.

Let me know.
James
Backyard Destinations
Caldera Dealer
Redding,Ca

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2008, 07:01:03 pm »
   They most likely do sales training boot camps for all kinds of salesman no matter what there selling just a guess?

We get all sales training from Jacuzzi, and I have been to many seminars in Vegas when the Aqua show was going on.  Its all good stuff, but I am not going to spend the money on it, nor the time involved.  

Don't get me wrong I love sales training its always good to brush up on stuff, but we also have 3 different Home shows coming up so I will have more than enough time to fine tune the pitch from the winter slowdown.

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2008, 10:51:50 am »
I'm not in sales  and never had a proffesioanl sales course so take what I say with a grain of salt...or two.  ;) given that

1) the sites claim that it's not a SALEs course, but a MARKETING course. (not how to close, but how to attract and get new business.  (But why do I feel he's selling me something?!?)

2) He's got a ton of seperate websites targeting different industry's but it's clear he's selling the same product: Markerting techiques and a Unique Selling Position stratagey.  

The above seems like a quality legit position. But here's where I get suspicous:

He's got a bunch of crappy web sites. I mean hokey.  They make  our favortie scam artist in Colorado look profesional. This puts me off as he promotes how to use the internet to attract new business and claims to be an expert at it.   Well, by looking at his own product/pages, it looks rinky dink to me.

He tells folks he's got 6 years a VP of a major hot tub company (and it appears to be true), however, when you read his bio on other pages, he mentions Duracell, and Black and Decker by name, and bold, but not Dimesion 1 spas? Why not? you'd think he'd put that on the top of the list for a spa course. Perhaps D1  wont let him? Why?

Hes' got a bunch of cheesy photo's of past attendees. They look like mug shots taken from the seminar, among the folks a couple of big names jump out....

He's got  James Keirstead:  A co owner of Arctic right on the front page endorsing him.  Can anyone from Artic ask James what he really thinks (and does he know he's being used to promote this product?)

The same goes for Jaden Kemp, a VP with Bullfrog. Anyone from BF know Jadem and ask if what he really thought (and does Buillfrog know they are endorsing this program?)

I have a gut feeling these folks/corporations don't really know they are being used to sell a product.  

The cost is $1500. (which he guarantees will gernerate $15000 in new sales or your money back.)

The thing looks rinky dink to me, but I'm an industry outsider. Sales and marketing always fascinated me for many reasons, but this has a slimey feel of used cars salesmenship. For instance, on one web page where he promotes his strategy for the powersports industry he promotes his students to give out flyers titled "how to pick the right dealer"  which looks like a non biased industry publication, but we all know it's written and geared to steer the customer to you.  Do these things really work? As a customer Those things ALWAYS turn me off and send up big warning flags.  On other publications he has students put in their store, he has them put phoney prices on them to create an illusion of value. (Here's a $25.00 phanplet on how to care for you spa, I'll give it to you free!"  

This just smaks of sleeze.

No?

« Last Edit: February 22, 2008, 11:02:23 am by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2008, 11:06:25 am »
James,

You have been in the Hot Tub Industry for decades.  You have sold Caldera before it was with Watkins and today.  You have sold Hot Spring and been exposed to their training.  Now you own you Caldera store in Redding.

From the looks of the Boot Camp web site, it appears that there is very little you could get there that you won't get from Watkins.  Look at the testimonials.  Dynasty, Arctic, Bullfrog...

I won't say there is no there there.  It looks like a lot of great info, if the dealer applies it.  Love your customer.  Work your data base.  Send me $1500 please. ;)

Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

Water Boy

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2008, 11:47:13 am »
I'm not in sales  and never had a proffesioanl sales course so take what I say with a grain of salt...or two.  ;) given that

1) the sites claim that it's not a SALEs course, but a MARKETING course. (not how to close, but how to attract and get new business.  (But why do I feel he's selling me something?!?)

2) He's got a ton of seperate websites targeting different industry's but it's clear he's selling the same product: Markerting techiques and a Unique Selling Position stratagey.  

The above seems like a quality legit position. But here's where I get suspicous:

He's got a bunch of crappy web sites. I mean hokey.  They make  our favortie scam artist in Colorado look profesional. This puts me off as he promotes how to use the internet to attract new business and claims to be an expert at it.   Well, by looking at his own product/pages, it looks rinky dink to me.

He tells folks he's got 6 years a VP of a major hot tub company (and it appears to be true), however, when you read his bio on other pages, he mentions Duracell, and Black and Decker by name, and bold, but not Dimesion 1 spas? Why not? you'd think he'd put that on the top of the list for a spa course. Perhaps D1  wont let him? Why?

Hes' got a bunch of cheesy photo's of past attendees. They look like mug shots taken from the seminar, among the folks a couple of big names jump out....

He's got  James Keirstead:  A co owner of Arctic right on the front page endorsing him.  Can anyone from Artic ask James what he really thinks (and does he know he's being used to promote this product?)

The same goes for Jaden Kemp, a VP with Bullfrog. Anyone from BF know Jadem and ask if what he really thought (and does Buillfrog know they are endorsing this program?)

I have a gut feeling these folks/corporations don't really know they are being used to sell a product.  

The cost is $1500. (which he guarantees will gernerate $15000 in new sales or your money back.)

The thing looks rinky dink to me, but I'm an industry outsider. Sales and marketing always fascinated me for many reasons, but this has a slimey feel of used cars salesmenship. For instance, on one web page where he promotes his strategy for the powersports industry he promotes his students to give out flyers titled "how to pick the right dealer"  which looks like a non biased industry publication, but we all know it's written and geared to steer the customer to you.  Do these things really work? As a customer Those things ALWAYS turn me off and send up big warning flags.  On other publications he has students put in their store, he has them put phoney prices on them to create an illusion of value. (Here's a $25.00 phanplet on how to care for you spa, I'll give it to you free!"  

This just smaks of sleeze.

No?

Drewstar,

I can tell you that after being in sales for my entire adult life, this type of sales training goes on in all lines of business no matter what you are selling. I am not saying that I agree with everything that he is saying, but when it comes to sales, espceially say in insurance sales, its all about when are you going to get infront of your next client or lead. This type of lead generation has been going on for years, and will continue to go on. The reason that they have to be more creative with webite slogans is that the do not call list put a big damper on the way in which people can get in contact with customers. This way if someone responds to a mail lead, or a web generated lead, they can rightfully call the client, even though they are on the do not call list. I dont know where I am going with all of this other than to say that this goes on every day in sales. I have never been a huge fan of these type of seminars, but they do seem to work very well for some people

Arctic Spas Dealer of the Year- 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2008, 11:52:56 am »
Water boy,

Absolutely. I agree with your post 100%.  But some programs are better than others. My own opion I was left with a slight feeling of cheeyness for the program. but What do I know? I'm in a completely unrelated field.

What are your impression of the program? Do you get the impression that this is a quality program? Why? Why not?

Is $1500 cheap, moderate or expensive for this type of course?
07 Caldera Geneva

Water Boy

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2008, 12:00:59 pm »
Water boy,

Absolutely. I agree with your post 100%.  But some programs are better than others. My own opion I was left with a slight feeling of cheeyness for the program. but What do I know? I'm in a completely unrelated field.

What are your impression of the program? Do you get the impression that this is a quality program? Why? Why not?

Is $1500 cheap, moderate or expensive for this type of course?

As far as the price goes, 1500 in not cheap but not expensive. It is a moderate amount if he truly guarantees an increase in ones business or your money back. I think these programs are full of great ideas and do work well for some. The problem for most is that when you go to these seminars, it gets you all excited and you say that when you get home you are going to start implementing this into your business right away. But what most people do is that when they get back home the folder of info that they brought home gets set in the corner of their desk, and it starts to become a dust collector. It’s the ones that actually take the training and change what they are doing that will see the results.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2008, 12:04:04 pm by Happy_Madison »
Arctic Spas Dealer of the Year- 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009

Vanguard

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2008, 01:46:40 pm »
I don't have the article any longer, but I did see in Pool & Spa News that this guy had resigned as VP of Marketing from D1.  He resigned so he could conduct these Marketing seminars.

Considering the vast majority of manufacturers only attempt to provide marketing help for their dealers, this could be of some benefit to some retailers.  

Watkins has been holding sales camps and marketing camps for some time now.  I know they do it on a level that really is not equaled in the industry.   The dealers who attend these camps really benefit from great information.  

Who knows how these camps will be until they are actually held, someone has attended and reported back?

And oh, the cost from Watkins is a fraction of what this guy wants, but you have to be a Caldera or Hot Spring dealer.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2008, 01:48:23 pm by aquatub »
The stars at night are big and bright, deep in the heart of Texas and my Vanguard!!!

BauerN

• "...to feel is to believe."
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2008, 01:51:31 pm »

Jaden is Director of Marketing - I cannot confirm his knowledge of this, but he's a very sharp guy - I doubt this would slip under his radar (it's possible - just not likely in my opinion).

There has been nothing in recent factory communications from Bullfrog about this - we learned of it through the magazine itself.  When Bullfrog endorses programs such as this (or others) - dealers are always in the know in advance.

We are not attending.  The GM in this store is extremely capable at marketing.
Bullfrog Spas Dealer.  Raising the bar for customer service.

James

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2008, 02:13:04 pm »
James,

You have been in the Hot Tub Industry for decades.  You have sold Caldera before it was with Watkins and today.  You have sold Hot Spring and been exposed to their training.  Now you own you Caldera store in Redding.

From the looks of the Boot Camp web site, it appears that there is very little you could get there that you won't get from Watkins.  Look at the testimonials.  Dynasty, Arctic, Bullfrog...

I won't say there is no there there.  It looks like a lot of great info, if the dealer applies it.  Love your customer.  Work your data base.  Send me $1500 please. ;)

Sir Dan! I loved your "Love your customer. Work your data base." comment. And hats off to Scott I and the team @ Watkins for keeping it simple.

It always seems that regardless of how complicated and sophisticated things get, it all really comes back to the basics. It's how the race is won.

While I have no intention of going to such a camp, I am completely intrigued that someone has introduced non-brand specific training into the mix.

PS ........and not just ANY Caldera Dealer, we are now an AWARD winning dealer. Watkins honored us with Caldera Showroom Design of the Year 2007.

Keep an eye on your mail box. That $1500 check should arrive anytime soon.

James
James
Backyard Destinations
Caldera Dealer
Redding,Ca

Tom

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2008, 10:33:36 am »
He's got  James Keirstead:  A co-owner of Arctic right on the front page endorsing him.  Can anyone from Arctic ask James what he really thinks (and does he know he's being used to promote this product?)
James writes a monthly marketing column for our dealer newsletter and gives seminars in North America and Europe.  I doubt that he'd endorse a product that he didn't think worthy.  If he's in today, I'll ask him about it.

David Carleton

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2008, 01:57:45 am »
Spa Dealer Boot Camp Mystery Solved

Hello Everyone,

My name is David Carleton and I am President of Street Smart Sales and Marketing.  My company focuses on helping dealers that sell big ticket products (like spas, billiards tables, pools, ATVs, Snowmobiles, etc) market their products and dealerships better.  I use public speaking, free workshops and several different websites to market my company.

I am also the creator and instructor of the Spa Dealer Boot Camp.

I was VP Sales and Marketing for Dimension One Spas for 6 years and left in November to start my own marketing consulting company.  The Boot Camp is sponsored by SpaRetailer Magazine which also publishes SpaSearch and PoolSearch Magazine.  There are 2 articles about me in the current issue - One that I wrote and one that is written about the boot camp by SpaRetailer.

My boot camp focuses strictly on lead generation - getting people in the door.  I do not do sales training or closing techniques.  The spa companies already do that.  

I have a varied background in consumer products - Duracell Battery Company, Black & Decker and Buck Knives and have used that experience plus the best practices of the Power Sports industry to create the boot camp.  

I know for a fact that the other spa companies do not teach what I do since I have had dealers from other factories attend the camp and have had several well known spa sales trainers work for me at D1.

The testimonials on my site are real and legitimate and I would be happy to speak to anyone about my background and the boot camp.

Recently I have "paired down" the boot camp to a one-day workshop and am only charging $500 per person now.  Since my costs have gone down and I have done away with the bonuses, I can offer the boot camp much cheaper and most dealers do not have to pay for overnight hotel rooms and meals.

My next one-day boot camp is in Cherry Hill NJ and Minneapolis in April.  You can check it out by going to http://www.SpaDealerBootCamp.com

Sorry it took me so long to find this forum and answer your questions.

If any dealer have any questions, feel free to ask.

Regards,

David Carleton
http://www.SpaDealerBootCamp.com

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2008, 01:57:45 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42