What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Ipod and transducer systems (Marquis)  (Read 6852 times)

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
Ipod and transducer systems (Marquis)
« on: March 12, 2008, 11:54:15 am »
I guess this is a tech question, but I am wondering if any of the Marquis dealers or owners with transducer speakers in the tub shells (the Soundsations systems) have figured a way to integrate an MP3 player. I guess you would have to be able to hook the Ipod through the receiver. I know my son has a system in the car that allows him to put something into his old tape slot and play his Ipod, but does something exist to allow you to connect the Ipod in the house to the receiver if you don't have an old tape player? :-/
Support your dealer so they can support you!

Hot Tub Forum

Ipod and transducer systems (Marquis)
« on: March 12, 2008, 11:54:15 am »

IL Parrothead

• Owner of 2008 Marquis Epic #2
Re: Ipod and transducer systems (Marquis)
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2008, 12:57:51 am »
Yes.  They make RCA jack adaptors for IPOD's.  As long as your receiver has an Aux input, you can plug it right in there.
Mike

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2008, 01:31:19 am »
Go to http://www.Crutchfield.com and search for iPod adapters - you will need to know what the make and model of the stereo is. But if they make an adapter specifically for the deck you have, it is much better. It will show the name of the tune on the display, gives you control via remote if you have one, and charged the iPod. If you have to use a universal adapter, it will just put the music in but not have those other features.

This is the page for Ipod adapters. http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/Category/GroupMenu.aspx?g=770&tp=502

8-)

Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2008, 07:47:40 am »
Thanks so much guys, I would like to surprise my husband. He loves the music on his Ipod and I really don't feel like burning all those CDs to play in the tub.

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2008, 01:21:29 am »
Bonni,

If I understand what you want to do... it is easy....it really has nothing to do with your spa....just as it was already mentioned....get an adapter and plug into what ever you are now using to run the transducers....(the new system has an ipod plug in)

BauerN

• "...to feel is to believe."
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2008, 12:44:53 pm »
Boni-

A couple of companies make a device that plugs into your MP3 (or whatever) and broadcast a weak radio signal.  Works with any FM radio.

Similar setups are used in satellite radio also.

Should be able to find one at Best Buy (if not Wal-Mart) - relatively inexpensive.
Bullfrog Spas Dealer.  Raising the bar for customer service.

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2008, 01:59:05 pm »
Chas gave me a website that had info about a Sony receiver that would accomodate a Ipod connection. I searched on circuit city and found not only the reciever, but the Ipod contraption and it was included for free!! The reciever that we bought to use for our tub never really worked effectivly with my Dolphin remote, although my Sony CD player did. I am hoping  that the new reciever will work fine with the Dolphin AND let him play that darn Ipod....

Thanks for the help..I always find great ideas and answers here!

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2008, 03:23:41 pm »
Bonni,

What ever your now using to run your music from most of the time will have an empty or auxiliary input available that most people refer to as RCA jacks. You can go and get an ipod connector in fact I think I have one here from bliken which is one of the better cable makers and they run less than 20.00...in fact if you want this one...new in the box...I will ship it to you for 21.00....but what you do is plug this into your current receiver and run your ipod from it. I think what is throwing you off is that the ipod will still be next to your receiver and not out near your spa.

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2008, 10:14:40 am »
Well, that plus the fact that using a simple AUX input cord doesn't integrate the Ipod. It just puts the music into the deck, but using the correct interface allows you to see the song title/artist info, charge the Ipod, and in some cases it gives you control over the Ipod as far as scrolling menus, advancing songs, pause/play etc.

They are two very different animals.

8-)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2008, 10:36:14 am »
I actually did buy that RCA cable at Radio Shack  before I even posted any of this. I am afraid of messing up the Ipods so I didn't connect it..I asked here instead to be sure I was doing this right. I opted to just buy the new receiver with the free ipod connector and like Chas said, it will display the info on the reciever.

For some reason I never was able to get my Sherwood reciever to work with my Dolphin Remote. My Sony CD player would work, but I couldn't control volume or turn it off or on..so this may resolve both issues and I will have a happy husband... ;) :)

Thanks for all the help, you guys always have the answers!!

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2008, 01:19:46 pm »
I think Chas, Bonni and myself may be speaking about 3 different things...The bliken ipod connector allows you to plug an ipod into a receiver that does not have a ipod input. Perhaps I am missing something but I do not think this will have any influence on displaying its music information. I referring to the units that displays the information on the ipod or mp3 players themselves. Bonni if you have the right cable there is no chance in your harming the ipod from using it in this manner.

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2008, 01:52:36 pm »
the cable I bought has only the plug for the Ipod ear buds or speakers and 2 RCA connections. I guess it might work, but ...and this info came from my friend...(her son left his ear phones plugged into the Ipod unit. the unit stopped working so my friend called technical support and they told her he voided the warranty by leaving it plugged in and doing that destroyed something inside the Ipod). I have no clue, but I figured it might be better to use a docking station configuration to transfer the music.

On a similar note, I bought my kids Homedics Ipod clock radios for Christmas but they wouldn't work with their 3rd generation Ipods. I called and Homedics told me they would ruin the Ipods if they tried to dock them in the radios...they needed a new special adapter...The $10.00 adapters came yesterday (yeah...they get to use their Christmas presents for Easter!!). The device is only a plastic contraption that positions the Ipod on the clock radio..but it works. so I am very leary of doing anything to the ipods that isn't specific for that application....somehow I have good intentions that often turn into disasters.. :-/...that's why I ask so many questions ;)

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2008, 02:04:12 pm »
As I am recent XM radio purchaser I think Mendo may be right.

Not knowing what type of reciever a Marquis spa (Boni's) has ... I will assume it is a car/marine radio.  Some radios do have a Aux connector (2.5 or 3.5 mm) that resembles the IPOD headphone connector. I will say I never heard of a car radio with RCA jacks, I think this is usually reserved for home stereos but I am not into car stereos at all. There is a cassette adapter that can also be used ASSUMING that you have a cassette player in the radio. There is also a FM transmitter that transmits on a unused frequency; the problem with this is the FCC has put a limit on it's power and they don't transmit far. The last way is to hardwire the radio and I think it's between the antenna connection and the radio itself.

Since Boni has a Marquis stereo I would assume it is a standard one that all Marquis of that year came with. Getting cassette decks is something that most people don't get now a days sop I will assume again that it is a CD unit. Idf this radio has an Aux connector this would be the most convienient way to hook it up. I just would either buy a waterproof encloseure for the IPOD or just use a ziplock bag. I use a ziplock when I take my MP3 player out there to listen to music - cheap and effective.

Boni can you post a picture of the unit it's going into?

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2008, 02:23:33 pm »
I am unsure on how anything could be hurt. All the ipod is going to is to send to the receiver a signal with whatever music you have saved on it and than it will be played though your home receiver and speakers or in Bonni's case though her spa.

Now perhaps if you were sending something to the ipod you could hurt it, as in using an output jack but you should be plugging into an input jack and I would be really surprised that you could cause any damage doing this.

Vinny the Marquis system actually does use a home receiver or amp it does not car an actual head unit with it only speakers.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2008, 02:26:20 pm by Mendocino101 »

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2008, 02:37:22 pm »
This is what the Ipod docking part looks like...

http://www.circuitcity.com/rpsm/oid/180226/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

it will also charge the Ipod (I know-not a big deal) but it will work with the Sony receiver that I am hoping will work with my Dolphin Remote. So I guess I am trying to achieve two things here...Being able to use all the digital music that I have purchased and placed on Ipods (opposed to burning tons of CDs) and being able to finally use the remote as it was intended. Initially I had no intention of buying a new reciever, but the Ipod connection was in the range of $80.00 by itself, so since it was bundled (supposedly free), I ordered the receiver..maybe a dumb move, but I do lots of stupid stuff. If it doesn't work, I will just take it back!

Vinny, my tub has the speakers (transducers) built into the shell of the tub. Via a hard wired connection, the speakers are connected to my home audio system. While the sound may not be nearly as great as Marquis new system (where the ipod/CD and radio system is actually built into the spa and the speakers pop up from the shell).

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2008, 02:37:22 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42