What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Pool chlorine in a spa  (Read 4537 times)

BauerN

• "...to feel is to believe."
Pool chlorine in a spa
« on: March 13, 2008, 03:35:01 pm »
Hey everybody,

I know this gets talked about occasionally, I've read a few threads with info on it.  I know the concensus here is not to do it (I share that opinion).

I have a new customer (2008 Cameo) who is a first time owner, and was told by his father that "it's the stuff to use".  My technical knowledge is limited (he wanted a more in-depth explanation), and I am very busy this week, so can anyone here throw out a post or two with some pros and cons?

Thanks in advance.

Btw:  I have turned him on to the forum as he is quite internet savvy.
Bullfrog Spas Dealer.  Raising the bar for customer service.

Hot Tub Forum

Pool chlorine in a spa
« on: March 13, 2008, 03:35:01 pm »

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
Re: Pool chlorine in a spa
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2008, 03:48:23 pm »
Tell him to refer to page 17 of his owner's manual and the section that states he will void his warranty.

If he argues with this, refund his money and pick up his spa.

Terminator
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

BauerN

• "...to feel is to believe."
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2008, 04:02:22 pm »
Thanks Term!  That was painfully simple.   :'(

He's a really reasonable guy, he'll be fine with dichlor I'm sure.  No need to return or refund.   ;D

The only ones I've had demand a refund were the ones who wanted someone else's delivery appt.   :P  I've always looked at that as a choice between two customers (if not a bluff), of course I'm going to keep the appt with the nice one.  ::)

Funny, no one has ever actually refused delivery.   :-?
Bullfrog Spas Dealer.  Raising the bar for customer service.

Vanguard

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2008, 05:02:39 pm »
Many times when someone says "pool chlorine" they are referring to Calcium Hypochlorite.  That is the most common shock used in gunite pools.  While Cal Hypo will certainly sanitize your water, it will also add calcium to your water every time.  Cal Hypo also has a pH of 11.8, so it will raise your pH considerably.  That can cause scale which is rough and can damage your shell, thus voiding your warranty.  Plus, it is difficult to dissolve.

Some granular "pool chlorine" is called Tri-Chlor.  This contains cyanuric acid.  Adding too much cyanuric acid (conditioner) can cause chlorine "lock" and will eventually render the chlorine useless.  It has a pH of 3.0, so it's like adding dry acid to your water.  It can be very, very difficult to dissolve.

Dichlor ph is 6.0, so it is much closer to neutral so it doesn't have as large an effect on the pH.  It dissolves very easily and doesn't add other stuff you don't want.  It is best to stick with Dichlor labeled for spa use.
The stars at night are big and bright, deep in the heart of Texas and my Vanguard!!!

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2008, 07:06:47 pm »
Like Vanguard said pool chlorine is usually Calcium Hypo or Trichlor, but people do use Dichlor as well. I have seen it used as a shock. It can also be liquid ... bleach is a low dose chlorine.

Something that Vanguard didn't say is that dichlor adds stabilizer as well. I believe it adds more than trichlor.

There is also lithium chlorine that seems to be popular in some area but it adds less chlorine than the others.

I have seen one manufacturer, Emerald, endorse the use of trichlor in their tubs.

Voiding the warranty is something that I warn newbies about all the time when they want to use bleach. All forms of chlorine are OK IMO as long as you're up on water chemistry. The problem is newbies are usually not up on water chemistry.

If your reading this ---> use dichlor!

Richs100

• From a 1993 HS Prodigy to a 2006 HS Envoy
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2008, 07:57:12 pm »
First, let me say that I understand that there are people out there who need to get away from chlorine based sanitation systems with their tubs, and I certainly endorse their efforts to find a system that works for them.

With that said, I know that in the last few years, I've seen dozens of these questions about using (insert: bleach, salt, trichlor, pool chlorine, what have you) in their hottub.  Fortunately, the pros here always take the time to warn the user why they shouldn't (void warranties, scale, high pH, cyanuric acid).

But I really don't understand why any new spa owner, after spending $5,000 or $10,000 or more on a tub, would ever want to take a chance using this stuff to save a few bucks.  I just checked Dr. Spa's site and he's selling 5lbs of dichlor for 30 bucks.  That will last a long, long time and obviously, IT'S NOT EXPENSIVE STUFF !!  (I've caught sales where the price is even lower!

New guys:  Dichlor or Bromine have been tested, tested and tested.  They work the best in the hot environment that is your tub.   Protect your tub and your warranty and, unless you're allergic, give these systems a chance!  
« Last Edit: March 13, 2008, 07:59:38 pm by Richs100 »
If you don't have anything nice to say about someone, come sit next to me.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2008, 08:11:36 pm »
I think for some it's a way of them "beating the system". There are a few people who are afraid of the dreaded hot tub itch and don't want to use dichlor because of the CYA buildup and the potential not to kill that bacteria. There are also others that are worried about CYA and it's potentially harmful effects.

I buy chlorine from Doc and it does last a long long time. I also use MPS and it lasts as well. I'm not too concerned about the hot tub itch bacteria in my tub and if I have a party (very infrequently) I make sure I use chlorine before, during and after. But I use all forms of chlorine for my pool.

But then there's the other side of the coin with people who have to use every potion available to keep their water "good". The correct way is to treat it every day with chlorine or bromine and the use of any other sanitizer helper is not needed. Most of us don't dose correctly - me included.

I think it's just a mind set that people get into and believe what they read or hear from someone.

Vanguard

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2008, 08:25:20 pm »
In my former life when I ran a pool service, I switched from Cal Hypo as my choice of shock to Dichlor.  One reason was the pH difference, another was Cal Hypo could cloud a pool.  In all those years, I never ever realized Dichlor had stabilizer.  Amazing what you can still learn.   :o
« Last Edit: March 13, 2008, 08:25:43 pm by aquatub »
The stars at night are big and bright, deep in the heart of Texas and my Vanguard!!!

cburk0677

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2008, 10:22:14 am »
 I buy my chemicals at lowes.

I use the dupont spa products. For chlorine I use the dupont pool chlorine in granular form. I bought a 25lb bucket for $83.00  Should last me 3-4 years by my estimation or even longer.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=232445-23132-1

Now some people might think that pool chlorine should not be used in a hottub but I doublechecked the type of chlorine and it is the exact same type of chlorine used in the leisure time spa chlorine line.

Just a side note I have been using the dupont chlorine for the past 8 months and it has performed flawlessly.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2008, 10:23:24 am by cburk0677 »
Enjoying SpaTopia in my 2006 Hotspring Vanguard

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2008, 11:14:02 am »
My only heads up is that whenever you expose chlorine to air it starts to degrade.  Some people who buy 25 or 50# buckets put their chlorine in smaller containers for daily use to avoid the degradation.

You are also violating federal law if it si only labeled as pool chlorine.  You have been warned! :)
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2008, 11:23:43 am »
I have used dichlor in my spa for almost six years along with ozone, Frog, N2 and MPS in different combinations.  Since my last water change in early December I have experimented with liquid chlorine and shocked with MPS, not to beat the system or to save money, but purely for water quality.  I have been very dedicated to this "experiment" and will post my experience after my next water change in early April.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2008, 05:31:22 pm »
You are a seasoned owner that knows about water care, there is a difference. I too would experiment with any chlorine, I was thinking about doing just that with bleach and maybe cal hypo.

What I said before about beating the system I believe especially after being a "only use bleach" pool forum member. The truth is that cal hypo on sale is just as cheap for me as using bleach.

People, myself included as a newbie, also don't know squat about the chemicals and their interaction on water care. "chlorine is chlorine" is what most people think. Some choose to become educated in water care and some do not.

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2008, 01:18:39 am »
You are a seasoned owner that knows about water care, there is a difference. I too would experiment with any chlorine, I was thinking about doing just that with bleach and maybe cal hypo.

What I said before about beating the system I believe especially after being a "only use bleach" pool forum member. The truth is that cal hypo on sale is just as cheap for me as using bleach.

People, myself included as a newbie, also don't know squat about the chemicals and their interaction on water care. "chlorine is chlorine" is what most people think. Some choose to become educated in water care and some do not.

Vinny, I believe as you do that some try to beat the system.  Cal hypo is kind of interesting.  I haven't used it in my pool or spa, but I imagine I could, especially with my tap water being relatively low in calcium hardness.  I would not encourage anybody to do what I am, but I will tell you I am pleased with the results so far.  I also feel there is more to TDS than I believed before, but that is a subject for another time.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2008, 01:18:39 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42