What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: mold/mildew on pillows  (Read 4829 times)

txwillie

mold/mildew on pillows
« on: March 09, 2008, 01:51:07 pm »
Any tips to get this off? I've taken them off, soaked them in bleach, scrubbed with a green scrubbie. Nothing. They are in the dishwasher right now. Not sure that will do anything, but nothing else has worked. BTW, they are Sundance, pretty spongy material.

txwillie

Hot Tub Forum

mold/mildew on pillows
« on: March 09, 2008, 01:51:07 pm »

Richs100

• From a 1993 HS Prodigy to a 2006 HS Envoy
Re: mold/mildew on pillows
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2008, 05:14:32 pm »
I have the same problem.  Posted some pics in an earlier thread, but not a lot of suggestions as to the cause or  remedy.  I don't have this problem anywhere else in my tub.  Mine are Hot Spring pillows.  About a year and half old.  I didn't want to replace them if they are just gonna do this again.
If you don't have anything nice to say about someone, come sit next to me.

txwillie

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2008, 08:06:20 pm »
as expected, the DW didn't do much. What did work reasonable well was soft scrub with bleach and a small vegetable brush. It did not get everything, but did make a big improvement.

Richs100

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2008, 07:39:25 am »
It is frustrating.  I take good care of my tub, but I still get this.  I know my ozone is working (it blew a hole in my spa blanket in a number of weeks).  Since some people get this and others don't I wonder if it relates to specific batches of pillows?

Anyone else got any ideas?

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2008, 09:33:10 am »
It is frustrating.  I take good care of my tub, but I still get this.  I know my ozone is working (it blew a hole in my spa blanket in a number of weeks).  Since some people get this and others don't I wonder if it relates to specific batches of pillows?

Anyone else got any ideas?

I had this same issue with my first pillows.  I also found that softscrub helped.  I don't have this issue with my second set of pillows.  The only difference is no ozone.  I do not believe it is mold or mildew but effects of ozone.  The softscrub did a nice job of cleaning up the oxidation of my old pillows.  My new pillows have no oxidation.  My old pillows fell apart at three years.  My new pillows are over 2.5 years old and still look new.  Your picture of your spa blanket is evidence of what ozone can do to certain materials.

Richs100

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2008, 12:01:06 pm »
Thanks for the info, Tony.  As far as I can tell, my pillows do not show any structural breakdown whatsoever.  Just this black streaking which looks like mildew that appears on the face of the pillow.  Given what you say, I may just replace them to see what happens.

Rich

DirtyD

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2008, 03:49:52 pm »
Call me crazy, but maybe try a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. Those things are incredible. They are very popular on the car forums. Obviously try it on the back first.

Richs100

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2008, 07:21:01 pm »
I tried that, DD.  Just tore up the magic eraser.  The black stuff is deep in the structural makeup of the pillow.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2008, 07:21:01 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42