What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Hot Tub Placement  (Read 9835 times)

aznative75

Hot Tub Placement
« on: March 04, 2008, 08:51:31 pm »
Hello everyone and thank you for such a wonderful resource.

I am preparing for a backyard oasis that includes a pool and above-ground, acrylic spa.  I've seen too many backyards where the spa is an after thought and usually ends up in a corner or away from where people congregate.  I am trying to incorporate it into my design so that it flows with the rest of the yard and is part of the overall design.

I have not yet decided on which spa I will be purchasing, but would love it if anyone can tell what is bad or good about my design. I've been working on the design for about a year and I've never owned a pool or spa in my life, so my design was made with little knowledge overall knowledge.  

Specifically, with the place of the tub, are there any things I should be mindful about, careful of or generally cautious about.

Thanks again and look forward to your replies.

Hot Tub Forum

Hot Tub Placement
« on: March 04, 2008, 08:51:31 pm »

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
Re: Hot Tub Placement
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2008, 09:09:12 pm »
Typically, the further the spa is from your back door, the less it will be used.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

IL Parrothead

• Owner of 2008 Marquis Epic #2
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2008, 11:14:53 pm »
Yeah, unless you live in a very warm climate year-round, I was going to say the exact same thing.
Mike

cwstnsko

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2008, 11:52:11 pm »
Nice Plan, looks like a strong 5 figure, almost 6 figure project  :o  I looks suspicously like a So-Cal, AZ or Vegas back yard :)  We had a similar concept in mind for our yard.  After a few years of fighting the grass, we opted for more patio and no grass :)  We ended up with our Spa on one end of the covered patio to keep it close to the door and keep the sun from tearing it up too fast, but we don't have the seamless integrasted effect that you plan has.  

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2008, 12:52:13 am »
Nice Plan, looks like a strong 5 figure, almost 6 figure project  

Totally irrelavant but that plan is way over 5 figures.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2008, 12:53:37 am by WHY_NOT »

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2008, 12:57:23 am »
Typically, the further the spa is from your back door, the less it will be used.

They're an Arizona native....I don't think they need to worry about the long walks to the spa in cold weather.

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2008, 01:05:08 am »
aznative75,

Everything looks good to me except for maybe moving the fire pit a little father away from the pool. I've seen people put them that close and even closer only to kick themselves later as the debris from the fire has a tendacy to blow in to the pool. Or is it gas??

aznative75

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2008, 02:15:30 am »
Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Yes, I am in Phoenix so having a long walk to the spa wouldn't be as much of a concern as say, someone in Michigan.  Not to rub it in to the rest of you, but it was 83 here just last week.  Snow is not something that we have to be concerned with.  

For those times when it is cold, the thought that those who want to get into the spa vs. those who want to be outside but not get into the water, can all congregate around the same general area.

The reason I'm doing an above-ground is for the therapeutic aspect.  Everyone tells me that having an in-ground spa with the pool looks so much nicer.  I don't want nice, I want functional.  An in-ground to me is just a hot swimming pool with bubbles.  

Chad, good point about debris from the fire pit in the pool.  It shouldn't be too much of an issue as the prevailing wind across the yard will be from right to left, so any breeze would push the silt into my neighbors yard.

Again, thanks for all the feedback.

spaman--

• Hot tubs are not for soaking, they are for selling
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2008, 06:27:43 pm »
Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Yes, I am in Phoenix so having a long walk to the spa wouldn't be as much of a concern as say, someone in Michigan.  Not to rub it in to the rest of you, but it was 83 here just last week.  Snow is not something that we have to be concerned with.  

For those times when it is cold, the thought that those who want to get into the spa vs. those who want to be outside but not get into the water, can all congregate around the same general area.

The reason I'm doing an above-ground is for the therapeutic aspect.  Everyone tells me that having an in-ground spa with the pool looks so much nicer.  I don't want nice, I want functional.  An in-ground to me is just a hot swimming pool with bubbles.  

Chad, good point about debris from the fire pit in the pool.  It shouldn't be too much of an issue as the prevailing wind across the yard will be from right to left, so any breeze would push the silt into my neighbors yard.

Again, thanks for all the feedback.

I have some connections with Arizona dealers so let me know who you plan on visiting to potentially buy from I can possibly help with pricing. ;)
-SpaMan~

thearm

• EMERALD CLASSIC all the way!!!
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2008, 08:14:30 pm »

Have to totally agree with this statement. Even though you are from Arizona. I would put it as close to the house as possible. You will find that hot tubs are much more enjoyable when using them in the nude. Therefore the less you have to expose ;D on the way to and from is a major plus. Also checking your chemicals and adding can be tedious if not handy to just pop outside and take care of. I know it probably doesn't seem far today but I believe there is a direct correlation on how much a spa gets used by how close to the house it is in whatever climate.

H823Putt

• My backyard oassis
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2008, 08:23:13 pm »
[glow][/glow]Typically, the further the spa is from your back door, the less it will be used

For some it is true but not for me. I have it about 50 feet from my house at the end of my deck. I get a full view of the night sky, no house blocking my view. I use it everyday here in the Poconos. Nothing better then when sitting in the tub having a morning cup of coffee as the sun is comming up.

The cold weather never stopped me from going in. :)

aznative75

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2008, 01:31:57 pm »
Actually, there is one very good reason I DON'T have it close to my house.  Not the house directly behind me, but the two on either side of it are two story houses.  Here's a quick little diagram of my situation.  I'm the house marked as 'X'.  '1' indicates a one-story house and '2' indicates a two-story house.

| 2 | 1 | 2 |
-------------
| 1 | X | 2 |

If I put the tub close to my house, both houses behind me would have a nice view.  By leaving it toward the back of the yard, I only have to worry about the one house to my right.  That view I can take care of with some trees.  My only option for complete privacy was the back right corner.  However, if I put it there, it didn't really flow well with my design and I couldn't make it work with what I was trying to do.

Also, we have several windows along the back porch (as can be seen on my original plan).  If I tried to put it right up on the patio, it would have blocked the view from inside the house.  So, those are the primary reasons for the location of the tub.

SPAMAN...

I'm definitely interested.  I haven't started looking at tubs yet so have absolutely no idea where I will start.  I do want high quality and high efficiency so I'm still gullible to peer pressure! :)

mjb

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2008, 03:01:15 pm »
Nice design.  Looks some of the projects we are working on
up in Prescott.
When you are looking to incorporate your new spa into
your design keep in mind access to the spa equipment
and how best you can enter and exit the spa.

tinybubbles

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2008, 04:25:10 pm »
We were originally going to put our spa on our deck.  Our basement is completely above ground in the back, so the deck is off the second story.  After giving it some thought, we didn't want to look out our window into the spa.  We live on property and have a pretty view.  We ended up installing a paver patio at the bottom of the stairs leading from our deck.  We weren't thrilled with the prospect of the long walk to the spa, but that's how it had to be.  Just the other day my husband mentioned how thrilled he is with the spa placement and how he doesn't mind the walk at all.  I had to agree with him.  We are only cold the moment we step out of the spa.  Once our robes are on we feel great.  So far we use it daily, despite the walk.  Hopefully you will be able to enjoy yours just as much.
On a side note, being in the pool biz, I got a kick out of the "jumping rock" in your design.  We've gone one step further now and it's a "decorative rock".  You have to love the legal system.
I do have one suggestion.  You might try incorporating a two sided stone wall along the pool side of your spa and the firepit side.  You would set your spa behind that wall with clearance to move around it for maintenance, etc.  It would help the spa area blend into the pool area and with the firepit, which I assume will also be stone.  If you make it the same height of the spa, it won't obstruct your view when you are in the spa, but should enhance the view from your house and pool.

spa-ing

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2008, 08:34:42 pm »
my hot tub is 8 feet from my back door and when it is 4 degrees, that is 8 feet too far!

Nice design! But is seems your seat area is limited to two loungers. Where will the table go? Or is it elsewhere?

Tinybubbles: my deck is the same as yours. The spa is built into the deck. Not the best use of space (we bought it that way) but still nice and close.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2008, 08:39:26 pm by spa-ing »

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2008, 08:34:42 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42