What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Newbie just beginning to look - advice requested  (Read 5545 times)

gcdcpakmbs

Newbie just beginning to look - advice requested
« on: March 05, 2008, 05:58:24 pm »
I'll list what i currently think is important.  But having never owned a hot tub, I would also like
to be informed of things it appears I am not considering.  Probably won't pull the trigger for a
month or so as I want to make a very informed decision.  Thank you in advance for any
and all help, and your patience with a newb.

-Budget - $10K (don't mind paying less)
-Will most likely get near daily use by 2 people, then once or twice a month perhaps 4.
-Not concerned about stereo and lights, but it certainly doesn't hurt anything.
-I plan on building stairs to and a wooden walkway around the perimeter with stone-veneer walls.
(I mention that because of potential cost of exteriors and the possibility that tub structure potentially could be enhanced)
-No health problems (knock on wood)
-I have seen FF and TP.  FF = Full Foam (I got that) TP has no meaning to me yet.  (Thermal Pump???  :-[ )
-Live in the south.  Not constant extreme humidity, but we get our share.
-We get our share of insects, etc., so advice on precautions would be wonderful
-Reliability and EZ maintenance are strong +'s

Hot Tub Forum

Newbie just beginning to look - advice requested
« on: March 05, 2008, 05:58:24 pm »

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
Re: Newbie just beginning to look - advice request
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2008, 06:09:50 pm »
As far as size goes, some regret going too big and others regret going to small. Remember one thing, how ever many people the spa says it holds subtract 1. For instance, if it says its a 6 person spa think of it holding 5 max.

Thermo Pane (TP) means they are not filled with foam but use a foam wall to create an air barrier. Done properly this can work well but IMO most thermopane spas fall short of doing it well so you have to be careful on that one (many say Arctic and Coleman do that well).

As far as reliability and maintenance go, here is a list of what many consider to be some of the top spa makers in the industry (in no particular order). These links should put you at the dealer locator sections of their websites where you can enter your zip code to see who is local to you:

http://artesianspas.com/main/dealer_locator.asp
http://www.hotspring.com/index_spas_hot_spring.html
http://www.calderaspas.com/Locator/index.html
http://www.arcticspas.com
http://retailer.sundancespas.com/Retailers/index.php
http://www.jacuzzi.com/products/
http://www.marquisspas.com/locator.asp
http://www.dimensiononespas.com/findadealer.asp

There are more certainly but those make the majority of the spas sold in the US and have good reputations. You can also check out others like Coleman, Vita, Bullforg ...Visit 3, 4 or 5 of the closest and see what you like. It's always best to wet test to find the spa that fits and feels best to you but you at least want to compare rather than buy the first one you see. Good luck.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2008, 06:12:53 pm by Spatech_tuo »
220, 221, whatever it takes!

gcdcpakmbs

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2008, 06:27:16 pm »
Local Dealers
Jacuzzi
Hot Spring
Coleman
Tiger River
Calderaspas

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2008, 06:59:04 pm »
Local Dealers
Jacuzzi
Hot Spring
Coleman
Tiger River
Calderaspas

You’ve got good choices on that list. Go visit them, ask a lot of questions (how long in business, ho long with this brand, do you service your own, etc.), sit in them at least dry initially and when you have an idea what you want wet test and let us know what questions you may have. There are people on this site that own or sell each of those brands so if you go visiting and come back with spa information overload there will be people here to help clear things up.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2008, 06:59:26 pm by Spatech_tuo »
220, 221, whatever it takes!

gcdcpakmbs

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2008, 08:52:02 am »

You’ve got good choices on that list. Go visit them, ask a lot of questions (how long in business, ho long with this brand, do you service your own, etc.), sit in them at least dry initially and when you have an idea what you want wet test and let us know what questions you may have. There are people on this site that own or sell each of those brands so if you go visiting and come back with spa information overload there will be people here to help clear things up.

Thank you. Will take that approach.

Vanguard

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2008, 09:33:08 am »
One of the most important things to remember is to have fun while you are shopping.  You will most likely get overloaded on information.  Don't let that frustrate you.  This is a fun product to own, so have fun while shopping for your spa.  And wet test.  You have to wet test.
The stars at night are big and bright, deep in the heart of Texas and my Vanguard!!!

gcdcpakmbs

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2008, 10:44:10 am »
I realize this is a personal preference.  But the question keeps slapping me in the face.  How often is the "lounge" seat used in your tub?

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2008, 10:51:34 am »
How often is the "lounge" seat used in your tub?

In my experience, most people do not opt for a lounge when they buy their second spa due to (a) the amount of space they take up in the spa and (b) because most of the time their womenfolk float because of high bodyfat content.

I personally like lounges so that I can keep my distance from other people and their grubby little hands.

Terminator
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

rick_in_cleveland

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2008, 11:06:11 am »
My wife and I use the lounger a lot and would get it again...Its personal preference.     Shopping for a hot tube is fun.   Your first time at each dealer say you just started looking and know nothing about hot tubs and let them talk.  You can get an idea just by listening to the speech if they are a dealer you are comfortable with.  Next return to the dealer and say you would like to wet test but your wife doesn't want to do it with a lot of folks around, Most will allow you to come as they close and test them after hours.  Its a great date....an hour or so in hot tubs and then out to dinner.    After you have narrowed it down to a couple re wet test settle on a price and enjoy.  It took us about 4 months to settle on a tub

Have fun

Cyn

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2008, 11:27:23 am »
I realize this is a personal preference.  But the question keeps slapping me in the face.  How often is the "lounge" seat used in your tub?

We got the lounge seat for me because I wanted it and actually my husband uses it more than I do!  Once again, it depends on what you are comfortable with.  Wet test all the seats in all the models and some you will find are just so-so and some you will hate and some you will be saying, "ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh" the whole time you are in the tub!

SPORT

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2008, 11:48:23 am »

We just ordered our second spa and love the lounge!  We made a point of only considering spas with a lounge.

If choosing the lounge models, consider your leg length.  Some are meant for the really tall, and some for the average leg length.  Another consideration is where the knee bends.  Many we tested bent at our ham-string, making it uncomfortable.  One last thought, consider the amount of bend in the lounge.  the more stretched out you are, the more apt you are to float away.  Try it dry, then try it wet.

Have fun on your search for the perfect spa.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2008, 11:49:13 am by SPORT »

Water Boy

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2008, 11:59:08 am »
My best advide to you is to try several differnent tubs out, some with the loungers and some without and you will know which you prefer after that. I personally like loungers in spas, but certain people do not. To me it would be like not having a recliner in my living room. :)
Arctic Spas Dealer of the Year- 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009

96SC

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2008, 12:09:33 pm »
Something we realized after owning our tub for 7 months, we seldom use the jets.  Mostly we just sit in hot water.  When we do use the jets they feel great but it's not an every time thing.  Something else to consider.
Before I speak, I have something important to say--Groucho Marx

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2008, 01:20:27 pm »

gcd,

Stick with a quality brand, and take your time and WET TEST.

Louge seats:  I've had tubs without and my current tub has a lounger.   I like it, and it gets used every time  I use the tub.  It took me a bit to get used to it and seat myself correctly in it, but I do like it.    When I entertain, and have 5+ people in the tub, sure, I wish I had just seats, but it's not a big deal. 90% of the time it's me and the wife.

Wet Test. Wet test several different tubs to get a good feel for what the differences are.

By a quality brand tub.

Choose a tub with a varietly of seating and jetting. I find that i go through phases, for several months, I like a certain seat, and then I discover another seat.  You don't want all the seats to be the same, you want to have vairety to target different areas.

Don't forget to budget in electrical work and landscaping $$.

Oh yea....cup holders. Get a tub that has cup holders. I love my Caldera Geneva, but what the #$@$ were they thinking when they didn't add cup holders? Do you know what a pain in the A$$ it is to keep a cigar dry, hold a beer and play with all the buttons?  

I think you are on the right track with water falls, lighting and such (Dont  let it be a priority).  Go for qaulity and fit. :)
« Last Edit: March 06, 2008, 01:23:48 pm by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

TubsAndCues

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2008, 07:33:01 pm »

In my experience, most people do not opt for a lounge when they buy their second spa due to (a) the amount of space they take up in the spa and (b) because most of the time their womenfolk float because of high bodyfat content.

I personally like lounges so that I can keep my distance from other people and their grubby little hands.

Terminator

I agree with you, Term, but as far as your first point (space) is concerned, most people only point out that you lose a seat.  You also gain extra space in the foot well area since one more pair of feet are out of it.

Speaking of the foot well, I think this is one area very easily overlooked.  Don't just look at how many seats there are, look to see how many legs and feet can be accommodated if you don't want to play footsie!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2008, 07:33:01 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42