What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Breaker Keeps tripping - caldera niagara 2008  (Read 13235 times)

run1stride2nd

Re: Breaker Keeps tripping - caldera niagara 2008
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2008, 07:05:23 pm »
Yah, I could barely wait the one full day, can't imagine 3 weeks.

:o

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2008, 07:05:23 pm »

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2008, 09:55:48 pm »
What I don't understand is why pump 1 also appeared to trip the breaker.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

run1stride2nd

« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2008, 10:15:54 pm »
Since I'm not an electrician, or spa tech, I can't explain all, but it had something to do with the mV levels when and the "ground" block.  He had the ground disconnected several times and tried measuring some type of level, and it was always "0"

Like I said, I don't really understand that stuff, but after several tests, he was able to isolate that it was Jet Pump2 and the problem was gone after the replacement was installed.

.......maybe one of the techs can explain?

:-/

spaman--

• Hot tubs are not for soaking, they are for selling
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2008, 05:40:06 pm »
O.k I am not a tech but I play one on the internet. The reason that both pumps would trip the breaker is because on this spa both pumps are on the same circuit on the board when pump one is engaged on high. When pump one is turned high a short from pump 2 is detected and caused the breaker to trip. This of course would also occur when he tries to engage pump 2.
-SpaMan~

run1stride2nd

« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2008, 05:52:58 pm »
......show off. 8-)

Thanks for the explanation.    Water is ready!  FC is at 4.5, TA is at 120-ish, and Temp is 102F ......and water is like a botttle of spring water, no foam, no slow bubbles, just Sprite looking water!

I'm so happy I have tear's in my eyes!  :'(

Enjoy you're evening :)

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2008, 06:08:48 pm »
O.k I am not a tech but I play one on the internet. The reason that both pumps would trip the breaker is because on this spa both pumps are on the same circuit on the board when pump one is engaged on high. When pump one is turned high a short from pump 2 is detected and caused the breaker to trip. This of course would also occur when he tries to engage pump 2.

What I don't know is whether you had someone sit at your computer to type that or whether the response was e-mailed for you to simply copy/paste?
220, 221, whatever it takes!

spaman--

« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2008, 06:27:43 pm »

What I don't know is whether you had someone sit at your computer to type that or whether the response was e-mailed for you to simply copy/paste?

That my friend is the result of years of experience, skillful training, a 3 minute conversation using process of elimination to determine the exact part of the board that was picking up  said short, and another 30 seconds to determine the exact wire on the capacitor of the second pump that was causing the short in the first place.Whew! ;)

Oh and NOONE sits at my computer!

I tried copy and paste once and I had to use a razor blade to get it of of my monitor.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2008, 06:28:29 pm by spaman_dot_com »
-SpaMan~

run1stride2nd

« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2008, 06:36:26 pm »
Thanks O-B-1.

That is about how the service call went as well.

......young pada-wan.

;)

spaman--

« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2008, 06:38:11 pm »
Try cleaning your filter.  You may have a dirty filter that is causing an issue with the heater which could cause the breaker to trip.

One easy way to find out if that is the problem is just take out the filter and see if the breaker still trips.  If it does, call your dealer for warranty service.  If the breaker does not trip, then you have found the problem.  Clean the filter and you'll be good to go.

Not to under mind your theory but, a dirty would typically cause a lack of flow to a pressure or flow switch depending on the brand of spa and it would disengage the heater (to protect it from self destruction) and show a flow error on the topside, in this mode  the spa would not heat.It is not probable that a dirty filter would cause a trip of the breaker.  ;)
-SpaMan~

run1stride2nd

« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2008, 06:41:36 pm »
Filter is clean (like new).

It was a good first check, but not the problem as was figured out.

Vanguard

« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2008, 12:54:22 am »

Not to under mind your theory but, a dirty would typically cause a lack of flow to a pressure or flow switch depending on the brand of spa and it would disengage the heater (to protect it from self destruction) and show a flow error on the topside, in this mode  the spa would not heat.It is not probable that a dirty filter would cause a trip of the breaker.  ;)

But, you never know.  It was just a quick try before calling the dealer.  
The stars at night are big and bright, deep in the heart of Texas and my Vanguard!!!

run1stride2nd

« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2008, 06:13:05 am »
Absolutely!

I was hoping for something quick to fix the issue so I could enjoy that evening.

Being very new at this, I figured it "could" possibly be something I had done wrong, unfortunately/fortunately, it wasn't

I alway enjoy, and appreciate any guidance from forums like this where people are happy to offer help.

Thanks.

:)

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2008, 06:13:05 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42