What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Breaker Keeps tripping - caldera niagara 2008  (Read 13257 times)

run1stride2nd

Breaker Keeps tripping - caldera niagara 2008
« on: March 03, 2008, 08:20:53 pm »
I have a 1 month old caldera niagara that has a problem this evening :(

When I came home from work this evening, the 30amp breaker was tripped on the GFCI box.  I reset the breaker, and within a few minutes the automatic startup cycle started on the spa.  As soon as the Jets started up, the breaker pops again.

Second time, I manually started the spa back up, and pressed Jet1 and the 30amp breaker trips.  
Third time, I manually started the spa back up and pressed Jet2 and the 30amp breaker trips.

Is it the breaker that is weak? or am I having an internal spa problem?  I placed a call to my dealer (after hours) and left a message.

............just looking to see if there's something I can do so we can enjoy the tub tonight, but can be patient to wait until tomorrow.  

Thanks in advance for any help.

run1stride2nd.

Hot Tub Forum

Breaker Keeps tripping - caldera niagara 2008
« on: March 03, 2008, 08:20:53 pm »

Vanguard

Re: Breaker Keeps tripping - caldera niagara 2008
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2008, 10:55:31 pm »
Try cleaning your filter.  You may have a dirty filter that is causing an issue with the heater which could cause the breaker to trip.

One easy way to find out if that is the problem is just take out the filter and see if the breaker still trips.  If it does, call your dealer for warranty service.  If the breaker does not trip, then you have found the problem.  Clean the filter and you'll be good to go.
The stars at night are big and bright, deep in the heart of Texas and my Vanguard!!!

run1stride2nd

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2008, 07:30:30 am »
Vanguard,

Thanks for the reply.  Unfortunately, Filter is clean, even tried taking it out, but when ever I press Jet1, or Jet2, the breaker still trips.

Water is 102F, ozone is running, circ pump is running, air works...........just can't start either Jet1, or Jet2 without a trip.

Any other idea's?

run1stride2nd

Vanguard

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2008, 10:29:12 am »
Probably need to call your dealer at this point.  I'm not much of a technician, but the filter thing is one of the first things people will try.  You're covered under a strong warranty, so not much to worry about.
The stars at night are big and bright, deep in the heart of Texas and my Vanguard!!!

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2008, 10:33:11 am »
Sounds like the breaker.  One of the advantages of a Watkins spa is the breakers come with the spa and are part of the warranty.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

run1stride2nd

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2008, 10:38:29 am »
That's what is looks like to me as well.

They just called me, but the tech is off today, he'll be out tomorrow.

.........bummer, 2 nights without the tub. :(

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2008, 10:42:09 am »
You can soak with no jets. :-?  It's better than nothing. :P
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

Im not Dr. Spa

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2008, 01:19:52 pm »
The odds of 2 pumps failing and tripping the breaker is slim to none. Chances are there is another piece of equipment activated when any of your pumps are activated, which is bad, thus tripping the breaker. Some spas have a fan installed that activate when the pump does, does yours?

It's likely that or a bad GFCI. You can pick up a GFCI tester at some hardware stores for around 20 bucks.

run1stride2nd

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2008, 02:35:17 pm »
Since I'm not an electrician (and don't play one here on the forum) and "fear the black box on the wall," I spoke with Caldera tech support and the dealer (run on sentance??).  Seems that they both feel its a weak breaker and will come out tomorrow morning to diagnose and repair/replace.  The service tech needed a day off today.

I"ll keep ya'll posted on what the end result is.  

I'll stick to working on what I know and leave the tough stuff to the experts....... ;)

Since I'm so new at this tub thing, I like soaking with all the jets beating me up, and can't just sit there in still waters....... :D

run1stride2nd

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2008, 05:31:20 pm »
Spa tech just left........great guy, great company, and I'm glad I'm backed by an awesome dealer who represents a great manufacturer...  

Turns out that JET PUMP2 was bad.  He had a brand new pump in the van and ended up draining the tub, replacing the pump after many diagnostic checks isolating the issue to Jet Pump2, and finally refilling.  Once everything was completed, he did a nice thorough 1 month checkup on all the jet covers, components, etc, cleaned up the area, and went on his way.   I also had a chance to get a nice quick coat of GEL GLOSS on the tub, and around the water line area before the tub was refilled.

Two Thumbs up for a great dealer and great service.  Only regret is that they didn't bring a truck load of hot water to refill the tub........guess I'm waiting one more day to soak :D

spaman--

• Hot tubs are not for soaking, they are for selling
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2008, 06:02:53 pm »
Spa tech just left........great guy, great company, and I'm glad I'm backed by an awesome dealer who represents a great manufacturer...  

Turns out that JET PUMP2 was bad.  He had a brand new pump in the van and ended up draining the tub, replacing the pump after many diagnostic checks isolating the issue to Jet Pump2, and finally refilling.  Once everything was completed, he did a nice thorough 1 month checkup on all the jet covers, components, etc, cleaned up the area, and went on his way.   I also had a chance to get a nice quick coat of GEL GLOSS on the tub, and around the water line area before the tub was refilled.

Two Thumbs up for a great dealer and great service.  Only regret is that they didn't bring a truck load of hot water to refill the tub........guess I'm waiting one more day to soak :D

I am amazed they don't have slice valves. It would have made it so much easier on you, the tech and your power bill. The corners manufacturers cut to cut cost are truly  absurd at times. Glad its back up and running. ;)
-SpaMan~

run1stride2nd

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2008, 06:07:10 pm »
Yes............agreed.  I asked about that as well, and he said the same.

It is what it is.  Hopefully we won't need a slice valve long term.

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2008, 06:34:02 pm »
Another conviction to those that have not bought yet and are thinking about it.  Yes Lurkers and others hanging around I mean you!

Doesn't matter what brand, they can all at some point have some sort of problem.  The dealer/manufacturer makes all the difference in the world!!!  ;)

Glad they fixed you up!
« Last Edit: March 05, 2008, 06:34:44 pm by Jacuzzi_Jim »

run1stride2nd

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2008, 06:51:22 pm »
Ya know, I did look at the big box tubs, and the "truck specials" that you find on the weekends, but............I ended up with the local dealer who I knew that I would eventually need a local relationship with.

My neighbor ended up with a Costco tub, and had some electrical problems from a storm that affected our area last fall.   He waited close to 3 weeks to get service on that tub.  He was bummed, so that actually played into our decision.  He also did all his own wiring (phone call after phone call to a family member that is an electrician in another state), moved the tub into position from the street, etc.  Too much BS for me..........I like to do it myself with lots of things (that I know about).

I buy "quality" sometimes at a premium on most everything I own, right down to the carbon fiber, exotic metals, and combination material bicycles that I race, and never have regretted the decision, and the after sales service that I've recieved.    I'm in sales and I'm also not the lowest price guy in our industry, but have some of the same customers for close to 18 years...............relationship, relationship,relationship.

I feel that we negotiated a very good price that I was happy with in the end, and so is my dealer, so he doesn't regret seeing me or my wife coming in the door.

One of the things that he mentioned early in the sales cycle was that my 2 young daughters would probably be spa owners one day as well since we were becoming spa owners.  I figure,  better to set a good example for them now with quality rather than seeing the old man working on the thing at night in the dark to save a few extra dollars.   We spend more time together enjoying the tub or any other product rather than working on it.  Hopefully, they'll look for a husband like me! ;)

........in the end, some who read this couldn't give a c%&P, but for those who do, make sure to figure out what you can "live with" for the next 15+ years before you make your purchase; both product and service relationship, the dealer is not just the supplier of your chemicals.

Done babbling, water is 70F, after 2 hours..........bummer.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2008, 07:01:23 pm »
My neighbor ended up with a Costco tub, and had some electrical problems from a storm that affected our area last fall.   He waited close to 3 weeks to get service on that tub.  He was bummed, so that actually played into our decision.  

Wow, he got service in 3 weeks? He must have known someone!! ;) ;D
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2008, 07:01:23 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42