What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Technicians without the right tools?  (Read 6066 times)

Im not Dr. Spa

Technicians without the right tools?
« on: March 03, 2008, 08:14:44 pm »
First off... this is my first post here. I like the forum and look forward to learning and contributing. I have been in the industry many years and recently read an interesting article in Spa Retailer discussing spa technicians, and how the large majority don't have the right tools with them to correctly troubleshoot, and effectively save their company time and money. Believe it or not, service deparments can and most definately should be a profit center.

I see many retail store owners posting here. If you haven't read the article, I suggest doing so, it's a good read. Also, i'm curious as to what feedback you have.

For those of you operating a top notch service department, how do you set your technicians up for success? Are you purchasing them the right tools? Are they set up with a company van? How about uniforms? Share your secrets of success with us!

I know it's also possible to hire outside service providers to handle service work. Any success stories? Horror stories? Let's talk pros and cons.

Hot Tub Forum

Technicians without the right tools?
« on: March 03, 2008, 08:14:44 pm »

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
Re: Technicians without the right tools?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2008, 08:29:38 pm »
I don't think this is the right place to do this -

There is a web discussion board for Retailers on another site....

See you there.

8-)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Micah

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2008, 08:47:00 pm »

See you there.

8-)
The service that a retailer provides is a key deciding factor in who to purchase a spa from.  I think this discussion might be productive for both consumers and retailers alike.  

To answer the original question I firmly believe that sub-contractors are the devil.  Either for repairs or installations having an "in-house" crew makes all the difference. We use Vans that are fully stocked.  Our goal is to make every service call a one trip fix.  There is nothing worse than making 2 or 3 trips to a customers house.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2008, 08:48:20 pm by Micah »
Jacuzzi, Hot Springs and Caldera dealer in Los Angeles

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2008, 09:22:39 pm »
Can we really have 2 Dr Spas here? Confusing!!!  ;D

I am a service tech but in the medical industry. I am a contractor in this industry but I would pit my abilities against hospital employees and I would also say my work ethic is the same as theirs. Not all contractors are scum sucking people. But with that said a lot are. The problem is contractors work for the person that pays their salary and unfortunately going out of the way is something a lot of contractors aren't known to do.

If you can find a contractor that will give it 100% for you - it may be worth it but many times they won't ... of course you could come upon a gem of a contractor that treats your business like his/her own. Having everyone on the same page business wise is a great asset when it comes to the customer - take it from someone who sees this stuff all the time.

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2008, 08:32:24 am »

See you there.

8-)

I think there are many non-spa-retailers, like myself,  on this board that would be very interested in reading the discussion.  Please continue on here.
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2008, 08:47:55 am »
AN IMPOSTOR !
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2008, 09:15:42 am »
AN IMPOSTOR !

How is that possible?

Im not Dr. Spa

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2008, 11:13:04 am »
Sorry for the confusion. I'm not sure how I was able to create a user name already taken, trying to change it now. Also, if someone could link me to the dealer forum mentioned that would be nice. Chaz pmed me but I can't reply until I have 5 posts.

Thanks.  I'll start the convo over there.

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2008, 11:32:50 am »
If folks want to talk about how service technicians show up unprepared, don't show up late or not at all, don't call, let the dog out, flatten the flowers, make a mess, use the bathroom and dirty the good towels, stink.... that would be perfect here. We can all relate to that, and some of us have even had a repair guy show up on time, with the correct parts, as promised, do the job the first visit, call on the way, lock the gate behind them, clean up after themselves, and bath regularly! I sure aim for all of that from our techs.

But the discussion of profit vs. loss, and related business things seems like a natural fit for the retailer board.

BTW - nice change on the name - you will fit right in around here!

8-)

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2008, 11:44:54 am »

BTW - nice change on the name - you will fit right in around here!

8-)

I was thinking "Dr Spa TUO" (a-la spa tech)  ;)
07 Caldera Geneva

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2008, 11:47:40 am »

I was thinking "Dr Spa TUO" (a-la spa tech)  ;)

That would have been a wise choice!!
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Water Boy

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2008, 11:59:29 am »

See you there.

8-)

That forum is pretty much non existent. I went and checked it out and there are about a total of 8 posts between the five different forums on there. Seems like a good idea, but one that isnt being used at this point in time.
Arctic Spas Dealer of the Year- 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2008, 12:03:32 pm »
Well, in any event I hope I didn't make you feel less than welcome. We all contribute around here, and I do welcome you.

What part of the world are you in? I'm in Southern Cal between Santa Barbara and LA. And LA is between fantasy and reality.

As to your questions - I supply my techs and delivery crew with T Shirts. Right now, they simply say "HotSpring Portable Spas" on them. The shirts, that is, not the techs. I don't promote tats.

We have the name of our business on only one of four trucks - but that is because two of the trucks get driven for all manner of things from picking up spas at the factory to towing my ski boats. I was about to buy a new truck, and turn the old one over to only family use - if the economy picks up a bit I might do it. Then I will plaster the name of the company all over it.

As to showing up with parts to do the job - I have been doing this a couple of decades, and we have pretty much got the spa problem trouble shooting done before we leave the warehouse. So it is rare to have to go back. It happens to all of us, but if we think it might happen, we let the customer know and then they can decide to have us wait until the part is in hand, or show up on the chance that it might be something else which can be fixed on the spot.

We cover a huge part of California for Caldera, but not much for HotSpring. I have had some hassles with that. I get calls from a hundred miles away to go fix Caldera, and that is the one line we are the least prepared for, and the line we are least familiar with. We almost always have to do some research and order parts in advance before we hit the road on those trips. That area is open for new reps, BTW, and I'm not going to complain if it gets carved up a bit!

8-)

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2008, 12:12:08 pm »
And as to Spa Retailer being so slow - it really IS slow over there. I guess we could post a link since it is not truly in direct competition to this or other consumer-based boards - right?

Anyway, I was thinking about starting some sort of scandal. Always builds the traffic here. Costco, Colorado man and family, a big 'free spa contest' or something real crazy. Any suggestions?

Dr. Spa (real or imagined) do either of you want to volunteer for anything?

8-)

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2008, 12:22:27 pm »
We have the name of our business on only one of four trucks - [glow]but that is because two of the trucks get driven for all manner of things from picking up spas at the factory to towing my ski boats. [/glow]I was about to buy a new truck, and turn the old one over to only family use - if the economy picks up a bit I might do it. Then I will plaster the name of the company all over it.
 8-)

Why would the fact that those trucks get used for spa pick up and even pulling ski boats stop you from advertising on them? I would think you'd want to take advantage of the advertising as much as possible?
« Last Edit: March 04, 2008, 12:23:17 pm by Spatech_tuo »
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2008, 12:22:27 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42