What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: I bought a Spa Blanket and a Digital Water Tester  (Read 3818 times)

Richs100

• From a 1993 HS Prodigy to a 2006 HS Envoy
I bought a Spa Blanket and a Digital Water Tester
« on: March 02, 2008, 05:48:16 pm »
SPA BLANKET:  
I have been using the blanket for about a month.  I bought the 7 foot square, 1/8 inch closed cell ThermoBlanket (not the bubble wrap) for $39.99.  It came with instructions and cutting it to size was not difficult using a black Sharpie marker and household scissors.

When I use the tub, I do have one more step to do, but its not bad.  The blanket is easy to handle and I just fold half of it over the cover and then use the lift.  It stays draped on the cover while I'm in the tub.

My only beef with the blanket is that it does bunch up when I use the clean-up cycle after a soak.  I have a Hot Spring with a small circulation pump so I don't have timed filter cycles.  But even with my tub, I have to go back out and straighen it out after the cleanup cycle has run.  

I am not sure this blanket would work very well on a tub that uses its main pump for a regualr timed filter cycle.  Because of this problem, I think I would do one thing different in fitting the blanket to the tub.  I would leave "tabs" of the material on the corners that could be placed under cover to hold the blanket in place during filtering.  That might solve the problem.

I can't tell if its saving any energy, but there is a lot less condensation on the bottom of the cover when I open it.

DIGITAL TEST STRIP READER:
I also bought the AquaChek TruTest Digital Test Strip Reader.  It is really simple to use and gives you readings for Free Chlorine or Bromine, pH and Alkalinity.  The reader also automatically stores your earlier readings for easy comparison.

Previously, I had been using a Taylor kit, but I still had a heck of a time seeing the chlorine readings.  With this tester, it gives you the digital readings on its screen.  So much easier.  So far, it tracks with the Taylor readings.  Obviously, the reader is not able to give you a total chlorine reading, but I already have a semi-schedule for shocking so it not really a problem for me.  

I also bought the extra bottle of test strips.  They are exactly like other strips except the test pads are on a black stick rather than a white one.  I wonder if the standard strips would work?  I suspect the reader may need the black background to accurately read the pad.  Anyone know if this is correct?

Overall, I really like this product and would buy it again.

If you don't have anything nice to say about someone, come sit next to me.

Hot Tub Forum

I bought a Spa Blanket and a Digital Water Tester
« on: March 02, 2008, 05:48:16 pm »

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
Re: I bought a Spa Blanket and a Digital Water Tes
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2008, 06:04:09 pm »
I bought the 1/8" spa blanket also but I don't like it as much as Doc's blanket. I didn't trim it for the reason that you said - bunching. I'm thinking that when it goes I'll try the bubble type with the same no cutting and see how that is. My only beef with Doc's blanet is that it only lasted 2 years and I thought I would get at least 3 out of it. If I get about the same time (I'm thinking not though) it costs me less per year ... I am cheap!!!

Richs100

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2008, 06:13:47 pm »
I thought about Doc's blanket, but I was worried it would be too cumbersome due to its increased thickness.  I may try it next time.  

I have the leftover strips I cut off my blanket and I am just trying to think how I could attach pieces to it to make the "tabs" to hold it in place.  I don't think glue would work and any type of metal staple would rust.  Still thinking about it....

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2008, 06:21:03 pm »
I don't think the 1/8" will hold up to being held by strips. I have Doc's cover leash and I didn't install the new blanket onto it ... I think the bubble would work with them though.

Here's my thought on the tabs... I would glue Velcro to the cover and the spa blanket. I would then glue the opposite velcro to the strips ... when the blanket wears out - toss it and repeat. I used Sumo Glue and it does work in hot, humid conditions. It gets a brownish look and it foams up and can get everywhere but it holds!

If the bubble seems less fragile than this foam then I will attach the blanket using that method.

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2008, 09:41:43 pm »
I've been using Doc's blanket for the past few months and I've been pretty pleased with the results.  Though I haven't measured electric use, I will go out on a limb and say it definitely must be saving money.  The 1/4" blanket does not bunch even with all jets on high.

Richs100

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2008, 10:22:46 pm »
I've been using Doc's blanket for the past few months and I've been pretty pleased with the results.  Though I haven't measured electric use, I will go out on a limb and say it definitely must be saving money.  The 1/4" blanket does not bunch even with all jets on high.

Hey Tony,
how difficult is that blanket to handle getting in and out of the tub?  That was the only reason I hesitated with it.  There's nothing worse than wrassling with a large piece of wet plastic in the winter.

Gomboman

• My Pride and Joy
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2008, 11:45:21 pm »
Thanks for the update Rich. I'm getting ready to purchase a Spa Blanket for my Envoy. I would pay a little extra if the cover was fitted for my particular spa. Not too excited about marking it with a Sharpie and cutting it with my wife's sewing scissors.

Still not sure which blanket to purchase. Can the experts here recommend a particular brand/manufacturer for me? I live in Southern California so I'm not sure how much electricity I will save. If it helps prolong the life of the cover that would be cool.

Thanks in advance.....
2005 Hot Spring Envoy still going strong. Million-Mile Club....

I want to get in the spa business so I can surf the internet and use Photoshop all day long.

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2008, 07:18:03 am »
I'm experimenting making my own blanket. I just purchased closed cell foam and will let you all know how it works...My last one didn't last as long as I would have liked, so I thought I might try it myself.

With my old one, I actually laid my blanket on the top of my spa, rather than cutting it to fit in the tub. I know that the best energy savings would come from floating the blanket, but like Gombo, I think fitting to the contour of the tub would be really tough. The underside of my cover looks like new, so I am happy that the old blanket has effectivly protected it. ;)
Support your dealer so they can support you!

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2008, 04:16:19 pm »

Hey Tony,
how difficult is that blanket to handle getting in and out of the tub?  That was the only reason I hesitated with it.  There's nothing worse than wrassling with a large piece of wet plastic in the winter.

I find it pretty easy to use.  I do the same that you do...open front half of cover, fold blanket over, lift with lifter, adjust as needed.  I always avoided a blanket because I thought it would be a pain to deal with but it really has been no problem.  I imagine that the heavier blanket may be easier to use than a lighter one because it pretty much stays when it is draped over the lifted cover.  I do have the advantage of being very protected from wind and this may be one reason why I have good luck with it.

Richs100

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2008, 08:16:36 pm »
I wanted to edit my first post in this thread to update some bad results with the spa blanket but couldn't figure out how to do it.  For anyone reading this thread in the future, be aware I posted an updated review with a picture of the damage done to the blanket by the ozone within a month and a half.

Rich

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2008, 08:16:36 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42