What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: A question or a comment for other dealers  (Read 5025 times)

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
A question or a comment for other dealers
« on: February 27, 2008, 09:34:17 pm »
I know I am not alone in experiencing this. How many of you just have a wet floor model spa who's water goes bad and no matter what you do you just can't get it right? I had a spa that I emptied about 2/3 on Saturday (due to time) and having been battling dull, a bit cloudy water since. It balances perfectly, hit hard with dichlor, shock but nothing and I just can't figure why. I have had this happened probably 2 other times in 4 years and I have yet to learn the cause.

Hot Tub Forum

A question or a comment for other dealers
« on: February 27, 2008, 09:34:17 pm »

Steve

• Ultimate Member
Re: A question or a comment for other dealers
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2008, 11:35:08 pm »
I know I am not alone in experiencing this. How many of you just have a wet floor model spa who's water goes bad and no matter what you do you just can't get it right? I had a spa that I emptied about 2/3 on Saturday (due to time) and having been battling dull, a bit cloudy water since. It balances perfectly, hit hard with dichlor, shock but nothing and I just can't figure why. I have had this happened probably 2 other times in 4 years and I have yet to learn the cause.

You should talk to some brilliant guy on the phone about this.... ;D

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2008, 09:33:17 am »
Though mine is not a dealer model on the floor, when I get that dull water that just won't sparkle...thats when I use a clarifier.  Always does the trick.  This may happen to me a couple of times a year.

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2008, 11:47:42 am »
Maybe it is the filtration system on the spa you sell.  ;) :) :D ;D
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

BauerN

• "...to feel is to believe."
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2008, 12:30:08 pm »
Funny timing Mendo.

We've been dealing with the same thing in a floor wet model for about a week.  First time it's happenned that we couldn't find an explanation.

We're giving it a shot of clarifier now, we'll see where it goes from there.  Enzyme might be attempted later.

This is on a very new spa.  Ozone working, lots of filtration, new filters rinsed after shocking, pH 7.4-7.6, ample dichlor.

Would love to hear any insights, or out of the ordinary things we could check.
Bullfrog Spas Dealer.  Raising the bar for customer service.

The_real_Clown_Shoes

• Hot Spring Salesman since '05.
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2008, 12:56:24 pm »
We try to remember to pull the drain caps and flush the lines with a little fresh water before filling.  Sometimes we've gotten some nasty water in there from transport.

MarKee

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2008, 01:36:08 pm »
Have you had wet testers lately?  I bet it's particles of detergents in the water that are too small to get stopped by the filter.  I would try a little bit of clarifier.

TubsAndCues

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2008, 02:16:15 pm »
The only time I ran into this was on another brand we used to carry, and I had to clean those filters constantly or it would get hazy/cloudy.  I tried enzymes and clarifiers, and it never seemed to help.  In fact, the clarifiers, because of the way they work, clogged up the filters faster.  The enzymes extended the filter cleanings, but not by much.

I have heard of new tubs taking a while to get good clear water because of a chemical that was put on the acrylic or what ever the shell material may be.  I don't know if this is true, but I've heard other "professionals" use it as an excuse/explanation.  Their solution was keep shocking/chlorinating the tub for 7 to 10 days to kill this mystery chemical.  

Pathfinder

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2008, 03:50:48 pm »
Bauer, is it a Bullfrog thats giving you issues???   A few years back when the dealership I managed picked up Bullfrog  we had water clarity issues as well. The problem came from the plastic tops of the filters, the top layer was slowly breaking down. This was a result of a filter producer switching a chem in the composition.

Besides that, I have always had one tub once a year that seems to have clarity issues no matter what you do. I chalk it up to hot tub gremlins.

In Canada eh

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2008, 06:57:03 pm »
I had a spa that I emptied about 2/3 on Saturday (due to time) and having been battling dull, a bit cloudy water since.

Mendo,

What do you use to fill your spas.  If you are using a 1" or 1.5" hose or larger you could be disturbing the sediment in the water line leading into your store.  Its quite common, when we flush fire hydrants at work in the warmer months, we always place a door card on all the residents front doors advising them that they may experience some discolouration of their water.  Your local municipality may also be flushing parts of the distribution system in your area and causing your troubles.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2008, 06:57:43 pm by Confused_in_Canada »
Bullfrog 451

BauerN

• "...to feel is to believe."
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2008, 12:59:09 pm »
Bauer, is it a Bullfrog thats giving you issues???  

Sorry been busy in the field and at home.  Yes.  New one with improved ozone - should be easier.  They've always been easy up 'til now.

A few years back when the dealership I managed picked up Bullfrog  we had water clarity issues as well. The problem came from the plastic tops of the filters, the top layer was slowly breaking down. This was a result of a filter producer switching a chem in the composition.

The filter plastic seems to be the same as any other modern filter I've handled.  Also a very isolated incident, I don't believe this could be the problem.

Besides that, I have always had one tub once a year that seems to have clarity issues no matter what you do. I chalk it up to hot tub gremlins.

I don't know what to think, we're draining today.
Bullfrog Spas Dealer.  Raising the bar for customer service.

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2008, 01:28:03 pm »
I have always had one tub once a year that seems to have clarity issues no matter what you do. I chalk it up to hot tub gremlins.

Yes it is that odd off the wall occurrence. It was kinda the reason I posted this in the first place that for home owners who battle this, it is just something that happens to us all. After working with the water last week it has come around and looks great now but it was a week watching and working it. I don't think it would have happened if I fully drained the tub but again I only drained it about 2/3's.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2008, 01:28:03 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42