What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Baja spas  (Read 11726 times)

IL Parrothead

• Owner of 2008 Marquis Epic #2
Baja spas
« on: February 26, 2008, 05:29:22 pm »
Anyone know much about Baja Spas?  I just realized that there's a pool place about 2 blocks from my office that sells them.  Went in today.  Dealer was a very nice guy.  He was pretty knowledgeable, except when it came to insulation.  Told me that Baja was full foam. Gave me a brochure, and it shows that they use a "Weather Wrap" as an "alternative to full foam insulation".  It appears to be an insulating blanket that goes around the shell and plumbing, but doesn't fill the rest of the inside of the cabinet.
Anyone know about the quality of the tubs and their energy use.  The salesman claimed they have an Energy Star rating, and that they're second only to HS in low energy use.
I've been frequenting a couple of forums for 6 months or so and have read very little about them.  Just curious.
Mike

Hot Tub Forum

Baja spas
« on: February 26, 2008, 05:29:22 pm »

Richs100

• From a 1993 HS Prodigy to a 2006 HS Envoy
Re: Baja spas
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2008, 06:26:00 pm »
You may have been mislead by that dealer.  

I could be wrong, but as far as I know there is no tub that has an qualifed for Energy Star rating like you see with appliances.  I have seen pictures of a phony label used by some manufacturers that is made to look like the yellow sticker you see on a refrigerator, but it's not real.

Am I right, guys?
If you don't have anything nice to say about someone, come sit next to me.

IL Parrothead

• Owner of 2008 Marquis Epic #2
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2008, 06:30:01 pm »
Yep.  Went to their website.  They say they're an "Energy Star Partner -- a voluntary EPA program.....".
And their website has the garbage about fixing a leak on a full-foam spa.  
I'm getting turned off....... >:(
Mike

Vanguard

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2008, 08:43:23 pm »
Are they still in business?  I thought they had finally gone away.

There is not one spa in the industry that is Energy Star certified.  Watkins looked into it, but I can't remember why it couldn't be done.  I think it might have something to do with EPA having to test all spas manufactured, but I could be wrong - probably am.  

I went to the Energy Star website and could not find anything about hot tubs/spas.  I did a search and it did not return anything related to hot tubs.  FWIW
« Last Edit: February 26, 2008, 08:48:28 pm by aquatub »
The stars at night are big and bright, deep in the heart of Texas and my Vanguard!!!

In Canada eh

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2008, 09:50:14 pm »
You may have been mislead by that dealer.  
I could be wrong, but as far as I know there is no tub that has an qualifed for Energy Star rating like you see with appliances.

I think Pacific has been and maybe D1 (not real sure on D1).  Pathfinder may be able to shed some light on whether or not Pacific is.
Bullfrog 451

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2008, 10:14:57 pm »
Are they still in business?  I thought they had finally gone away.

;D DUDE, Baja made and sold the first ever portable spa, beating out Jacuzzi by 6 months.

I think Pacific has been and maybe D1 (not real sure on D1).  Pathfinder may be able to shed some light on whether or not Pacific is.

Nope. No spa has EVER been Energy Star Rated. Now D1, did for a time, have their own little yellow label they put on their spas designed to fool you into thinking they were Energy Star Rated. Again, D1 themselves, designed and printed this label themselves. I believe there's been at least one other manufacturer that's sunk to similar marketing ploys.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Pathfinder

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2008, 10:23:00 pm »
Pacific doesnt have the Energy Star rating  but a couple years back they had Warnock Hersey/Intertek  who are an Energy Star accredited lab, conduct some efficiency testing for operating costs in certain climates.   With what was said earlier, I also believe spas have not been put into the Energy Star fold as of yet...

In Canada eh

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2008, 10:23:44 pm »

Now D1, did for a time, have their own little yellow label they put on their spas designed to fool you into thinking they were Energy Star Rated. Again, D1 themselves, designed and printed this label themselves.

Doc,

That may be what I was thinking of.  I stand corrected
« Last Edit: February 26, 2008, 10:24:54 pm by Confused_in_Canada »
Bullfrog 451

Vanguard

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2008, 12:30:40 pm »

;D DUDE, Baja made and sold the first ever portable spa, beating out Jacuzzi by 6 months.

Not sure why that means anything today.  Just because they were first does not mean they have to still be around.  Besides, others claim to be the first in portable spas.  Watkins for one used to have a poster that claimed they were the first stand alone portable spa.  Maybe it was the insulation they were laying claim to.

Regardless, you don't see much of Baja around anymore.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2008, 09:31:27 am by aquatub »
The stars at night are big and bright, deep in the heart of Texas and my Vanguard!!!

Micah

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2008, 05:38:57 pm »

Baja claims to have made the first "acrylic" spa.  Is there a reason that they have to specify "acrylic" instead of just saying first?
Jacuzzi, Hot Springs and Caldera dealer in Los Angeles

Richs100

• From a 1993 HS Prodigy to a 2006 HS Envoy
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2008, 06:20:50 pm »

Baja claims to have made the first "acrylic" spa.  Is there a reason that they have to specify "acrylic" instead of just saying first?

That's because the first "spa" was made in Italy by Incontentious Buttocks, who was Caesar's pool guy.
 ;D :D ;)
« Last Edit: February 27, 2008, 06:21:43 pm by Richs100 »
If you don't have anything nice to say about someone, come sit next to me.

The_real_Clown_Shoes

• Hot Spring Salesman since '05.
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2008, 06:37:23 pm »
We sold Baja tubs WAAAAAAAAY back in the day, then switched to Coleman before switching to Hot Spring in '83.  I can't vouch for their energy efficiency, as I find it suspect myself, but we still have a few Baja spa customers out there.

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2008, 07:01:26 pm »
Excerpt taken directly from Termipedia:

The portable spa (hot tub) was first originated by Dr. Phartemus "Pharty" Harris, an aristocratic and well-known "gent about town" in San Francisco, CA (USA) circa 1906.

After polishing off a case of pinto beans at one of the local brothels, he filled the empty crate with kerosene in an effort to treat a particularly resillient case of Pthirus pubis.

Unfortunately, the Great San Francisco Earthquake struck at the very moment he was trying out his "newfangled contraption", causing his Monte Cristo (ref. needed) cigar to dislodge from his mouth and fall into the tub.  The naturally occurring side effects of the legumes caused the kerosene to flare up and instantly incinerated the young visionary before he could bring his product to market.

Only Known Photo of Phartemus Harris:

« Last Edit: February 27, 2008, 07:10:20 pm by East_TX_Spa »
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2008, 07:01:26 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42