What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Pantyhose over intake.  Anyone tried this?  (Read 4253 times)

tinybubbles

Pantyhose over intake.  Anyone tried this?
« on: February 26, 2008, 03:22:30 pm »
When we drained our spa I noticed a lot of lint stuck in the intake grate.  That might not be the technical term, but I think you'll know what I mean.  We don't use suits except for the times friends are using the tub with us.  I wash my suits alone, but they must wash theirs with beachtowels and have lots of lint on them.  I was thinking about putting a piece of nylone hose over the grate to keep the lint out.  Would this cause any problems?

Hot Tub Forum

Pantyhose over intake.  Anyone tried this?
« on: February 26, 2008, 03:22:30 pm »

BauerN

• "...to feel is to believe."
Re: Pantyhose over intake.  Anyone tried this?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2008, 04:24:25 pm »
About a year ago, a customer told me he was using panty hose in the same manner - said he'd done it for a while with no problems.

This was an "old timer" - he did say he hated having panty hose in his tub.

If doing so - I'd change them fairly frequently.
Caveat:  I don't know if it's entirely necessary.  I've never seen lint cause a mechanical malfunction (in theory it could - but that's an awful lot of lint).
Bullfrog Spas Dealer.  Raising the bar for customer service.

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2008, 05:33:23 pm »
Fwiw, Jacuzzi Spas come with intake covers.

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2008, 10:01:14 pm »
Your only concern would be a lack of flow problem and as mentioned, you would want to keep them clean. The issue being how? If it's not during a water change, all that debris floats in the water when removed.

We use to have a tub at the cabin that had a real issue with pine needles. They would end up in the filter basket and at the intakes in the footwell and I'd just grab them in my hand and chuck them out every once in a while. I wouldn't sweat the small stuff...literally!

Ronnie526

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2008, 10:51:37 pm »
Tiny ..... My '05 Sundance Optima has that "pantyhose" type "prefilter" in my filter compartment, but not over the intakes in the footwell area.

tinybubbles

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2008, 09:18:20 am »
It is the intakes in the footwell area that had so much material stuck in them.  Well actually, just one of them.  It was alot.  To be honest, it just grossed me out.  I had the same thought about the stuff floating in the water.  I thought maybe I could use a net to scoop it out.  I'd rather not have to pull it out of the intake they way I did this water change.  It wasn't just on the cover, it was strings that went inside.  I think it's only an issue if I have people in the spa, so I thought about slipping the nylon over it when we had company.

dax

• '07 Sundance Cameo
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2008, 09:24:06 am »
Tiny ..... My '05 Sundance Optima has that "pantyhose" type "prefilter" in my filter compartment, but not over the intakes in the footwell area.

My '07 Sundance Cameo has the same setup.  That prefilter does get a lot of junk buildup on it.  Never really looked at the intakes in the footwell to see if stuff is building up there.  The Mrs has been gracious enough to wipe down the tub between draining and refilling.  We're do for a water change as soon as the weather allows it.  I'll have her take a look....
« Last Edit: February 27, 2008, 09:25:36 am by dax »

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2008, 09:24:06 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42