What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Spa water loss and dealer problem  (Read 3803 times)

Plantguy

Spa water loss and dealer problem
« on: February 22, 2008, 07:02:16 pm »

I’m having trouble with a D1 Lotus Bay spa that a dealer installed for me on 10-16-07.  I noticed 3 days later that there was water on my concrete slab patio at one corner of the spa.  I called the dealer and reported what seems to be a leak since the install.  They did not come to check the spa until 11-6 and stated they thought it was condensation from the cover.  The water at that time would be noticeable and at other times the patio would dry up.  However, beginning in February the water never dried up so it appears that there is a constant leak.  I have begun to measure the water loss and it appears to be consistent the last few weeks at ½” every 5 days.  I cannot seem to get the dealer to service or replace the spa and at this point it seems clear he is not interested in making good on the spa he sold (it was a display model about 1 year old and sold as a new spa).  Additionally he still has not provided items that were missing at the install:  pillow, light, screws, etc and he has not installed the lifter to date.  I’m not interested in having the foam insulation poked or the water dyed as it seems clear that the spa has leaked from the beginning and should be replaced or refunded.  I’d like some advice from the group as to the loss of ½” every 5 days, what you might think the problem is, and how to get the situation fixed as it seems that the dealer is not going to stand behind his product.

Hot Tub Forum

Spa water loss and dealer problem
« on: February 22, 2008, 07:02:16 pm »

BauerN

• "...to feel is to believe."
Re: Spa water loss and dealer problem
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2008, 07:15:06 pm »
Additionally he still has not provided items that were missing at the install:  pillow, light, screws, etc and he has not installed the lifter to date.  

This is a bad sign.

I’d like some advice from the group as to the loss of ½” every 5 days

How often do you use the spa?  How long do you use the spa for?  What climate do you live in?
Bullfrog Spas Dealer.  Raising the bar for customer service.

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2008, 07:25:07 pm »
My advice is to contact D1.

Remember, it is the manufacturer's warranty.  Hopefully, a little pressure from the manufacturer will get you some action.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2008, 07:33:51 pm »
I’m having trouble with a D1 Lotus Bay spa that a dealer installed for me on 10-16-07.  I noticed 3 days later that there was water on my concrete slab patio at one corner of the spa.  I called the dealer and reported what seems to be a leak since the install.  They did not come to check the spa until 11-6 and stated they thought it was condensation from the cover.  The water at that time would be noticeable and at other times the patio would dry up.  However, beginning in February the water never dried up so it appears that there is a constant leak.  I have begun to measure the water loss and it appears to be consistent the last few weeks at ½” every 5 days.  I cannot seem to get the dealer to service or replace the spa and at this point it seems clear he is not interested in making good on the spa he sold (it was a display model about 1 year old and sold as a new spa).  Additionally he still has not provided items that were missing at the install:  pillow, light, screws, etc and he has not installed the lifter to date.  I’m not interested in having the foam insulation poked or the water dyed as it seems clear that the spa has leaked from the beginning and should be replaced or refunded.  I’d like some advice from the group as to the loss of ½” every 5 days, what you might think the problem is, and how to get the situation fixed as it seems that the dealer is not going to stand behind his product.

You don't mention what part of the country you're in.  In the northeast, I add five to seven gallons of water per week due to evaporation during the winter.  One half inch does not seem excessive at all.  Water also leaves the spa when you get out on your body and especially if you wear suits.  Water around the spa is not out of the ordinary, especially on the side that the cover gets lifted and stored.  When the cover is open, water will drain onto the ground.  If you use the spa a lot, then it can seem that it never dries up.  A lot depends on what your use is and where you see water.

As far as your other dealer issues....inexcusable.

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2008, 08:33:09 pm »

You don't mention what part of the country you're in.  In the northeast, I add five to seven gallons of water per week due to evaporation during the winter.  One half inch does not seem excessive at all.  Water also leaves the spa when you get out on your body and especially if you wear suits.  Water around the spa is not out of the ordinary, especially on the side that the cover gets lifted and stored.  When the cover is open, water will drain onto the ground.  If you use the spa a lot, then it can seem that it never dries up.  A lot depends on what your use is and where you see water.

As far as your other dealer issues....inexcusable.

I agree with what Tony has shared. You might have a leak but your water loss does not seem excessive. Your dealer does seem to have let you down and needs to step up and get you everything that was promised. Have you asked when he intends to get you fully delivered.

Plantguy

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2008, 09:41:34 am »
Thanks for the replies.  I live in Southern California and use the spa about 2 times a week for about 30 minutes each.  It has a tight cover.  The patio is covered and shaded so the spa is not in the sun.  While there is some condensation (it is visible as small spots at different spots around the spa) this does not seem to explain the now constant streamlet of water at the back corner of the spa.  The difference between the condensation drips and this back corner area that is always wet with a puddle of water that streams off the patio is my concern.  It seems to me to be a small but constant leak.  The factory is north of me by about 30-40 miles and the dealer is north of there about 80 miles.  He assured me that he could service the spa as he had them up and down the coast.  However, he does not return phone calls or emails, instead his service guy does sometimes.  The company is practically nonresponsive at this point.  I'm concerned what a small but constant leak might be doing to damage the spa over time as well as the puddle that is now constant at the base of the post that is supporting my patio cover near the back corner of the spa.  Actually, I have not paid for the spa yet as it was purchased on a spa-related credit card with 6 months deferred interest and payments.

Chris_H

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2008, 09:55:21 am »
Out of curiosity, was there a dealer closer than 80 miles away?  I’m in Philly and 80 miles is the practically the equivalent of me driving to Baltimore.  Seems like a long drive to me.  

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2008, 11:09:19 am »
You have leverage with the dealer through the finance company, as well as through D1.

If you have a leak, that is supposed to be covered under warranty.  If you have not received all you have ordered and it is in writing, you have issues.

Contact finance company today. They can help.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

Scott

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2008, 02:08:20 pm »
Oh this is just what i don't want to read as I am expecting delivery of my Lotus Bay next week. Please keep me posted Plantguy as I am concerned and hope you get satisfied really quick.

Scott

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2008, 06:20:01 pm »
Before this goes any further why not try to figure out for sure or not you do actually have a leak.  
Turn your spa down to about 85 degrees(if you want, go lower; the lower you go the less evaporation ), fill your spa to it's usually level, when it falls to the desired temp put a piece of masking tape at the top of the water line, don't soak for a few days and see if you're still loosing water.

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2008, 06:31:54 pm »
Oh this is just what i don't want to read as I am expecting delivery of my Lotus Bay next week. Please keep me posted Plantguy as I am concerned and hope you get satisfied really quick.

Scott

Why?

Simply because you bought the same make and model?  No brand is immune from this- I wouldn't worry about the spa you bought, unless of course you use the same dealer as Plantguy- it sounds like a dealer issue way more than a spa issue at this point.  

Brewman

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2008, 06:31:54 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42