What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Softub - DreamMaker questions  (Read 14233 times)

carolahb

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Softub - DreamMaker questions
« on: April 09, 2006, 10:45:40 pm »
Can anyone give me info/opinions on the Softub or the DreamMaker portable tubs?  I understand that these are very low end products.  The Softub only has 5 jets and I'm wondering it 5 jets will produce enough bubbles.

Hot Tub Forum

Softub - DreamMaker questions
« on: April 09, 2006, 10:45:40 pm »

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
Re: Softub - DreamMaker questions
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2006, 01:10:24 am »
Jets useful for more than just making bubbles - they are what makes a tub fun and enjoyable.

You want variety, adjustability, and if you can't wet test you should carefully examine where the various jets will be massaging.

The problem with just 5 jets isn't that it's just five, the problem is that you most likely don't get much in the way of variety or a chance to really get a good massage.

Carefully check the price on the Softub you are looking at, and then see what else you can get for the same dollar amount. If you fall in love with a tub that's a bit more, save up, or use 90 days same-as-cash or whatever. Years from now, you'll be very glad you went for more instead of less.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2006, 09:24:23 am »
My first tub was a  nordic, and it had only a few jets and I had a ball with it.   Hot swirling water and a decent sized jet on my back was great. Add a few friends, and a cold beer  and it's   a real nice time.

So, yes, you can have a great expereince in a tub with a few jets.  Most of your hot tubs in the resorts only have a few jets.  However,  It can't compare to the more exspesive tubs.

how are you planning on using this tub? (year round, seasional, how often?  inside, outside?).  I don't think you can have the jets and the heater on at the same time with a 110v tub.    The insulaiton and cost to keep this tub up to temp  would be a concern.

Can you wet test the tub?

The things let drove me away from my used low end tub was heating costs, filtration, noise, comfort, realiability....

What are your expectations for this tub?
« Last Edit: April 10, 2006, 10:27:56 am by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

Skellman

• There's more horses asses than there are horses!
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2006, 10:54:12 am »
I had a friend give me a 10 year old Softub for hanging two ceiling fans. It was considered a four person tub. All it needed was a liner.
Of course it only lasted another two years.  However, I think the fact that I had 8 people in it one night might have done something to the heater. Based on the guests that were in the tub with me, it was worth it. ;D 8)
Anyway, I actually liked it. It was low maintenance. It only weighed 75 pounds empty so I was able to roll it down the stairs during the winter and use it inside. When spring came I'd empty it and take it back outside. Thus, the cost to heat wasn't so bad even though it was 110v.
It's not much for therapy but it's a practical tub if you just want a hot soak.

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2006, 10:57:43 am »
Sounds like a ball Skellman.

but would you drop $2000 on it?
07 Caldera Geneva

Skellman

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2006, 11:26:26 am »
Drewstar-As you know I'm about to spend 7k on a Sundance or HotSprings.
The question is what does Carolahb want to spend. If their budget is 2k then their options are limited.
The Softub served it's purpose for me at that time.

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2006, 11:39:36 am »
Absolutely  Skellman.  :)
07 Caldera Geneva

Micah

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2006, 11:49:00 am »
I had a soft tub 220 when I lived in a condo and I loved it. It had five jets and you could switch between 3 types of jets. Strait, spinners and a handheld jet ;D
When I hear people talk about energy cost on a soft tub being a concern, thats when I know that they have no idea how it works.  There is no heater. They use a heat excange system that cost less than $10.00 a month for me in S. California (home of the highest energy cost this side of the mississippi).
The real down side to a softub is that it only comes with one 20sq.' filter. But for $30.00 you can double the filteration and go to their "no bypass filteration system".  It's not needed, but you have that option.
Keep in mind, I don't sell softubs!
Good luck.
Jacuzzi, Hot Springs and Caldera dealer in Los Angeles

Tatooed_Lady

• Participating in the Witness Protection Program
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2006, 11:50:11 am »
I think I'd also consider buying an older, reconditioned tub from a local dealer...they may even offer a limited warranty (30-90 days) along with it...that is, if the size and weight of the tub can be accomodated....
But then.....that's just me and my $.02. ;)
RIP C-Rod

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2006, 12:04:29 pm »
I had a soft tub 220 when I lived in a condo and I loved it. It had five jets and you could switch between 3 types of jets. Strait, spinners and a handheld jet ;D
When I hear people talk about energy cost on a soft tub being a concern, thats when I know that they have no idea how it works.  There is no heater. They use a heat excange system that cost less than $10.00 a month for me in S. California (home of the highest energy cost this side of the mississippi).
The real down side to a softub is that it only comes with one 20sq.' filter. But for $30.00 you can double the filteration and go to their "no bypass filteration system".  It's not needed, but you have that option.
Keep in mind, I don't sell softubs!
Good luck.

How does the heat exchange system work?

I've seen  these small, very  portable, soft sided spas that do have heaters, and being sold in New England, with salesman telling folks they're great on a fall night.
07 Caldera Geneva

kvnlaw

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2006, 12:28:03 pm »
The heat exchanger is stailess steel coils wrapped tightly around the motor. When the spa is in a heating mode water passes through the coils and takes the waste heat from the motor and returns it to the tub. When the tub is not heating the heat exchanger closes so the water is not heated continually only has needed.
Very energy efficient. In S. Fla a Softub will cost you less than $5.00 per month to operate on average.

Skellman

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2006, 12:30:07 pm »
I actually have the heater here in my office.
Here is my best guess as to how it operates.
It uses the heat generated by the motor. There is a stainless steel (approximately 3/8" diameter)tube "coiled" around the motor. It's connected to the 1-1/2" inlet and outlet of the pump. Thus, I believe the water simply circulates through this tube while the pump is running, picking up the heat transfer from the motor to the coil to the water.
Regarding the cost to heat. If the tub is outside during winter months it will obviously cost more to keep warm. It's just a practical option to think about for saving operating costs in the winter.

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2006, 12:34:10 pm »
The heat exchanger is stailess steel coils wrapped tightly around the motor. When the spa is in a heating mode water passes through the coils and takes the waste heat from the motor and returns it to the tub. When the tub is not heating the heat exchanger closes so the water is not heated continually only has needed.
Very energy efficient. In S. Fla a Softub will cost you less than $5.00 per month to operate on average.

Ah. From the Softtub page:

http://www.softub.com/justthefacts.html

AS opposed to these guys that have a 1000w heater
http://www.spadepot.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=PS3500&Category_Code=under2000
« Last Edit: April 10, 2006, 01:30:51 pm by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

SocioSam

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2008, 10:09:55 pm »
I just bought a DreamMaker Fantasy and I'm having some problems with the company. There is a serious design flaw. The rim of the tub is not even - there are 5 large gaps where the cover does not touch the tub so there is a serious loss of heat.

Because it heats only when the motor is on, it is on a lot, in part, because it loses so much heat due to those gaps. Now it is winter (so is is using more electricity) but I'm also worried about summer when we like to sit on the deck. Since the motor is on virtually all the time I worry about the noise.

The company claims gaps between the rim and the cover have no effect on heat loss (but refuse to provide their test data) and so far have not agreed to fix the problem. They claim I am the only person of 1000 sales to complain. However, I've seen other complaint on the web about the high electric costs which you would expect with significant heat loss.

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2008, 12:00:47 am »
for the same dollars you can get a free flow or a Nordic both of which I think far better products.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2008, 12:00:47 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42