What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: "Demo" models  (Read 4243 times)

Headhog

"Demo" models
« on: February 20, 2008, 02:24:16 pm »
Still on our search for the perfect tub.  Looking for pros and cons (price mainly)  of buying a last years model.  Not showroom new, but sitting outside for about 6 months as a demo.  I don't really like the idea of buying a "new" tub that is that "used".  What is the feeling about price consessions because of the outside exposure and use??

Hot Tub Forum

"Demo" models
« on: February 20, 2008, 02:24:16 pm »

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
Re: "Demo" models
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2008, 05:00:42 pm »
Welcome to the forum!

Personally, some of the best deals I've ever seen have been on demo models.  For instance:

I have a HotSpring Aria that's been outside on my deck for the last 6 months, almost exactly the same situation you've described.  It is being discounted dramatically because it has been exposed to the elements as opposed to a spa that was kept inside or wrapped in the warehouse.

There is a very nice man and his wife driving over this afternoon to do a test soak in it and I have spent most of my free time today between spa sales making sure the water is absolutely perfect for them when they arrive.

As to your particular situation, I would sure go at it with an open mind and you just might get a great deal!

Good luck and drive safely. ;)

Terminator
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

d8

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2008, 02:41:25 pm »
Consider this:

A demo model has been 'road tested' by folks that know hot tubs. If there were any issues with that particular spa, they have most likely been found and corrected by the techs at the dealership.  It is like having a professional mechanic checking out a new car for a hundred miles or so, then discounting the price to 'used car' levels.

caveat: your mileage may vary, depending on dealer/tech quality.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2008, 02:46:36 pm by d8 »
Catnip King of Montana. (and independant tech)

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2008, 03:53:32 pm »
Verify the price. Most legit dealers give a decent discount on thier demos. Others I've read about   tell uneducated consumers that they're getting a great deal beacuse it's a "demo" but really overpay or don't realize any  discount.

Verifty the price by comparision shopping.

On the flip side, we have all  read were folks thought they were gettinga, and paid for a shiney new tub, and they get the floor model. ("Hey...why is my filter already dirty, why are thier scuff marks in the foot well? ? ?"

Also:

Verify the price.

Confirm any warranty issues (full warranty from the date of purchase, or pro rated")

Go over the spa with a fine tooth comb. Both you and the dealer should document any damage to the spa, scrapes, scuffs, dents, dings.  Don't forget the steps, cover and lifter as well in your inspection. You don't want this showing up at your house with the side panel falling off and the dealer telling you that's the way it was.

Have the dealer provide new filters.

« Last Edit: February 22, 2008, 10:02:53 am by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2008, 07:25:24 pm »
Although it may be a demo spa and a good deal can be had be wary if the dealership looks not so nice.

I once went to a dealer that sold Beachcomber and Hydropool spas. Out in the front of the store were 4 or 5 Beachcomber spas that were out in the open. They were filled with green skanky water and critters were swimming around in them. They were not covered and by all I've read sunlight destroys the acrylic in the spa.

I could have had the top of the line Beachcomber (750 ?) for around $6500 - great price! But it was a nasty dealership and since I knew something I knew not to buy any of those spas.

Don't be blinded by the spa - look around and see how the dealership is. It may be a great deal or it may not.

Headhog

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2008, 07:55:18 pm »
Interesting that one dealer ( who knows my concerns about the tub) has never come back with a price on the "demo spa" vs a new one sitting on the showroom floor.

BauerN

• "...to feel is to believe."
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2008, 02:04:03 pm »
Verify the price. Most legit dealers give a decent discount on thier demos.
Verifty the price by comparision shopping.

("Hey...why is my filter already dirty, why are thier scuff marks in the foot well? ? ?"

Also:

Verify the price.

Confirm any warranty issues (full warranty from the date of purchase, or pro rated")

Go over the spa with a fine tooth comb. Both you and the dealer should document any damage to the spa, scrapes, scuffs, dents, dings.  Don't forget the steps, cover and lifter as well in your inspection. You don't want this showing up at your house with the side panel falling off and the dealer telling you that's the way it was.

Have the dealer provide new filters.

This is GREAT advice!

Just because you buy a demo you shouldn't have to deal with an excessively beat up spa.  You're already settling on it as it is (color, options, etc.), as opposed to brand new custom.

When we sell a demo model - we always clean, polish, and/or repair anything that should be.  It should ALWAYS come with new filter(s) - any dealer here can tell you it's a relatively minor cost.  Go over EVERYTHING with the dealer - don't be shy, if they're professional you won't hurt their feelings.

Watch out for a dealer who wants to take very many shortcuts - in any industry this is usually a bad sign.

...and yes - VERIFY THE PRICE!
Bullfrog Spas Dealer.  Raising the bar for customer service.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2008, 02:04:03 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42