What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: hottub cover handles  (Read 2961 times)

anne

hottub cover handles
« on: February 18, 2008, 02:14:48 am »
OK, something has bugged me since I got my spa almost two years ago, but I never bothered to ask about it, since it seems like such a little and silly thing. My cover has its handles on the "ends," or the two sides parallel to the fold in the middle. Initially, this makes sense, since I guess it seems like that is where you'd grab it to initially open it, but at least for me, I have to grab it from the other side(s) to open all the way and close it.

Are all tub covers like this? Who thought to put them on the ends of the cover- really really tall people?

::) :P
Dance like nobody's watching

Hot Tub Forum

hottub cover handles
« on: February 18, 2008, 02:14:48 am »

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
Re: hottub cover handles
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2008, 08:16:20 am »
I've had my spa for 16 months and have never used the handles even once.....no joke.  
« Last Edit: February 18, 2008, 08:17:59 am by WHY_NOT »

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2008, 08:19:11 am »
I don't really know the true purpopse of the handles, because I was told my my dealer NOT to use them to open the spa and not to pull on them. I don't know if they are a decoration ;D or what, but I don't think they are strong enough to be very functional. :-/
Support your dealer so they can support you!

dax

• '07 Sundance Cameo
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2008, 08:51:52 am »
I had my tub less than a month when one of the handles ripped off taking some of the cover with it.  The dealer replaced it, but  I no longer use the handles.

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2008, 09:02:33 am »
My cover treats handles in a different way for each "half".  The front half which is lifted first has a handle in the middle on the end and a handle near the front corner on each side.  The back half has only one handle in the middle of the end.  I use the handles to adjust the cover when closed and to start to lift when ready to open.

Shanezam203

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2008, 09:13:30 am »
I see what you are saying.  I use my front handle when I open the tub to put in shock...  Open it with one hand, dump in the checmicals, and then close it...  

It would be nice to have one on the side, or on the inner underside of it (when it is fully OPEN) to bring it back closed...

anne

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2008, 12:07:27 pm »
Tony- it sounds like your optima has the most logical set up. I'd love a handle near the corner on the side that I open and close all the time, especially to close it gently. Makes A LOT more sense! I guess if as Bonibelle said, they are not inherently strong, then it is better to lift the body of the lid as I do, but how about just making stronger handles ?  :-?
Dance like nobody's watching

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2008, 01:01:57 pm »
 Who thought to put them on the ends of the cover- really really tall people?

::) :P

As the wise philosopher Randy Newman once said, "Short people have no reason to live"
« Last Edit: February 18, 2008, 02:27:50 pm by wmccall »
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Josh

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2008, 02:02:19 pm »
Mine has big handles on the end (that I never use) and smaller ones on the side that I try to use...but sometimes don't.

It also has the straps with buckles on them, which is what I tend to use most often (even though I probably shouldn't).  It was the same on my old hot tub cover.

I wonder why no one makes a tub with more easily accessible handles.

spa-ing

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2008, 02:33:35 pm »
I have never had a problem with hot tub handles and use them all the time. the cover is several years old and not a problem with them.

I lift on side using the handles and flip it over using gravity. I do the same when closing it. When completely removing the cover, my husband and I each take a side and hold the handles with the cover completely spread out between us. This part is tricky as our tub is level with the deck and you don't want to lose your footing and fall in!

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2008, 07:14:40 pm »
My tub is going to be 3 YO and I use the handles all the time. It has 1 handle in the center of the back cover and 3 handles on the front - 1 in the center and 1 each on the sides. I usually flip the cover onto itself then use the lifter to lift it up.

I never thought of not using them.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2008, 07:14:40 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42