What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Jacuzzi glue joints  (Read 4557 times)

Chubby Johnson

Jacuzzi glue joints
« on: February 16, 2008, 02:30:07 pm »
While speaking with a repair tech I asked about Jacuzzi hot tubs. Asked if they are a good, reliable brand or one to stay away from.   He told me to stick with the a newer Jacuzzi, meaning 5 years old or less.   He said that the older Jacs had troubles with the glue joints.

Since there are Jac dealers on this forum I would like to know if Jac changed the glue they used for a better one or is there some other reason the plumbing joints are improved.

As a side note, he told me that the brand he gets the least number of service calls on is Marquis.

Hot Tub Forum

Jacuzzi glue joints
« on: February 16, 2008, 02:30:07 pm »

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
Re: Jacuzzi glue joints
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2008, 03:15:33 pm »
 We have been selling Jacuzzi since late 2002, so that would be news to me, I suppose its possible especially the ones built for Home depot and costco, not sure where they were built?

I know Sundance in the mid 90s got a huge batch of bad glue, and I know it was a pain in there side.  The Sundance dealer I use to work for, replaced a lot of those spas on Sundances dime.

In Canada eh

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2008, 08:39:35 pm »
  The Sundance dealer I use to work for, replaced a lot of those spas on Sundances dime.

How did a guy named Jacuzzi Jim ever get a job at a Sundance dealer? :-?
Bullfrog 451

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2008, 11:05:24 pm »
How did a guy named Jacuzzi Jim ever get a job at a Sundance dealer? :-?

Back in them days, he was known as the Sundance Kid.
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2008, 12:59:31 am »
I think it was the late 90's... The EPA made changes to the allowable VOC's in glue, and a number of manufacturers got big batches of "bad glue"....
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

clover

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2008, 11:16:39 am »
The glue problem was VERY real and a very big problem.  It affected all of the '95, '96, & '97 production.  Jacuzzi bought Sundance in 1998 and unknowingly inherited the problem which first began to manifest itself around the year 2000. It was specifically, as Doc mentioned,  a glue problem which affected other industries that used glue also, cabinet makers, counter top laminates etc.

The only solution was a complete replumb and re-insulate.  We replaced over 300 RMA units, replumbed another 400 units and the majority of customer blamed us, the dealer, for selling it to them.  Jacuzzi sued the original manufacturer and was awarded 20 million.
Trying to be the unbaised voice of reason.

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2008, 03:18:54 pm »
The glue problem was VERY real and a very big problem.  It affected all of the '95, '96, & '97 production.  Jacuzzi bought Sundance in 1998 and unknowingly inherited the problem which first began to manifest itself around the year 2000. It was specifically, as Doc mentioned,  a glue problem which affected other industries that used glue also, cabinet makers, counter top laminates etc.

The only solution was a complete replumb and re-insulate.  We replaced over 300 RMA units, replumbed another 400 units and the majority of customer blamed us, the dealer, for selling it to them.  Jacuzzi sued the original manufacturer and was awarded 20 million.

These types of things happen all the time in all sorts of fields (anyone catch 60 minutes last night and Bayer I am sure it will be in the billions the suits they may lose) Do you know of the 20 million covered the costs to do the replacements/repairs ?

hottubber

• Hottubbing under the stars...PRICELE SS
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2008, 06:35:39 pm »
Chubby,
I don't think you'll have anymore of the glue problems like Sundance had in the mid 90's. These things happen and it is only fortunate for the customers that the dealers that sold them spas stand behind them. The same way Sundance and now Jacuzzi have. It must have cost them a bloody fortune, but they did it.
We've repaired, replumbed and refitted plumbing lines for a long time. I believe its over now.
I wish for industry sake that every manufacturer would stand behind their product like this.
As a dealer, I still hear horror stories in the field. I feel bad for the consumer in these cases. :'( Although, I do see more manufacturers bringing better quality to their products. It's good for the industry. 8-)

clover

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2008, 06:40:50 pm »
Do you know of the 20 million covered the costs to do the replacements/repairs ?
The COST to do the replacements and repairs was very heavily subsidized by the dealer network.  Let's just say the 20 mil satisfied their need to cover their losses.  

The dealer may get some subsidy under warranty, but not enough to cover his actual cost of providing such intensive repairs.  Many customers were just out of warranty, and had to pay for what the dealer could not provide free.  Needles to say, customers weren't happy, that directly affects the dealer sales, customer relations and referrals.
Trying to be the unbaised voice of reason.

hottubber

• Hottubbing under the stars...PRICELE SS
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2008, 06:59:45 pm »
Clover,
Does the dealer EVER get enough to cover the cost of doing warrantee work? Unfortunately, it is the cost of doing business. That's why, as dealers,we look at who covers what and at what cost.
I find that if my guys go out on 8 calls per day, 1/2 under warrantee and half not, I can justify sending them out to make a small profit.
Service in the spa business is a neccessary evil, I honestly love it because it brings allot of referral business my way. There are alot of companies that are still looking at business the old way, just get the sale.
With the economy where it is, it's those dealers that develope a stategy to do quality service that will be the ones who will excel when things turn around.
Our service department motto is; "Service with a Smile" ::), even for those who don't yet get it... :-/

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2008, 06:59:45 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42