What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Just an observation  (Read 5627 times)

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
Just an observation
« on: February 16, 2008, 02:47:12 pm »
I noticed here that a couple of folks have put their tubs up sale (just two I think). But it did make me wonder. Rarely do I ever hear from the customer who does not enjoy their tub each and every time they use it, how it makes them feel better, how they sleep better, how much they enjoy spending time with their spouse or children or friends. But for some reason some people at times seem to get to busy to use it on a regular basis but once they get back in they comment on what had been thinking that was keeping them away. I wonder do we as people just get bored by routine even if it is something we really enjoy?
« Last Edit: February 16, 2008, 02:50:55 pm by Mendocino101 »

Hot Tub Forum

Just an observation
« on: February 16, 2008, 02:47:12 pm »

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
Re: Just an observation
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2008, 03:12:24 pm »
Good philosophical question.

I think the answer is maybe!  ::)

We sometimes do get into a routine and even if it is something we like or love we forget how great it is. How many mornings do we look at the sunrise and say "WOW how beautiful" or even evenings with sunsets. Do we appreciate things that we drive by every day.

Even something such as tying our shoes can be made different by tying them in opposite sequence. We do get into a rut.

But I think with something like a spa - we like or love it but life gets into the way to enjoy it. I will speak from experience that I don't use the spa the way I thought I would. My family doesn't enjoy the spa at all so I soak alone 99% of the time when I do soak, which is no fun for me. I can't sell it as I have it built into my deck and I don't want to sell it because the times I do use it, it's great. It did not become the great oasis that I was envisioning it to be, which may be one of the reasons to get rid of a spa for a lot of people.

I guess for those of us where it didn't become routine - we appreciate using it. I would imagine anything routine isn't apprecaiated as much.

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2008, 03:30:03 pm »
  I have more people use our trade in trade up program, for existing customers,  some people are just moving to another house, or they leave all together out of the area?

We also do a referral deal, you send us 5 people that buy a spa we will give your your choice of any Jacuzzi you want for free.  Only done one so far but we sold 5 out of the deal.

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2008, 05:26:47 pm »
I make it a point to start my day with a soak, as long as the weather allows.  Its an easy routine to keep.  If I were to rely on evening soaks, my spa would not get nearly as much use because life does get in the way at night.  The rest of the family uses the spa afternoons or evenings but not nearly as often as I do.

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2008, 06:55:38 pm »
It's strange, I was thinking the same thing. I think there have actually been more than two trying to sell tubs, remember the guy who gave his Marquis tub away for $500.00 because he was so angry that it had depreciated so much? And the other couple that we all tried to talk into giving the tub one more chance...Campsalot, I believe.

I know how excited I was after I ordered my tub...it was going to get so much use..all the time. But even though I love my tub and I really believe it is the reason that I am not suffering with Lyme symptoms anymore, I don't use it nearly as much as I did when we first got it. My husband has changed jobs and travels, so I don't go out at night (my favorite time), because I won't go by myself. He is not here to have coffee and a morning soak, so I just get right into my routine and skip that soak too. so I think sometimes it is about how and why you soak. If your routine included time with your spouse, and he or she isn't around, then part of the  enjoyment of the spa is gone. :(

I also think that in a better economy, people bought luxury items like hot tubs almost like status symbols...Now when electricity costs are crazy and other utility costs are skyrocketing, the extra cash that was spent heating the hot tub and buying chemicals isn't really extra cash anymore. :-/  Maybe people are just analyzing what they really need and what they can do without.

I finally bought a new freezer and I changed virtually every light bulb in my house to florescents...I am running my tub in economy mode and doing everything I can to keep my electric costs down, When I changed my bromine cartridge in my tub this morning, I was thinking, I have probably spent more time checking my water than I have soaking lately :-/  It's really kind of sad :'(  
Support your dealer so they can support you!

D.P. Roberts

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2008, 07:00:37 pm »
And how many times do people post a hundred million questions, and start one billion flame wars about different brands, as they search for their new tub. Then, after buying the tub of their dreams, they promise to be back to help other new shoppers in their research. And they're never heard from again.

How many of those people are still using their tubs? If they are, perhaps a twinge of thought would occur to them to post their more experienced opinions.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain

Zep

• Cal Spas SQ92 Dallas-Texas
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2008, 07:31:04 pm »
i think for some they tire of the upkeep

the electric bills

the chemicals and water issues.....the foam and/or cloudy water

the draining & filling

the weather

not as many friends/parties coming over for a soak as envisioned before purchase

the novelty wears off

for some it is just easier to jump in the bathtub for a soak

« Last Edit: February 16, 2008, 07:33:34 pm by Zep »

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2008, 08:21:04 pm »
I know we have customers whose daily soak is just a normal part of there day and would not go without it. I find that if I get busy and go a week without soaking when I get back in I think to myself why did I get away.....

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2008, 09:18:25 pm »
I make it a point to start my day with a soak, as long as the weather allows.  Its an easy routine to keep.

That's exactly what I do.  

I find that on the days I'm unable to soak, I'm very irritable.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2008, 09:55:23 pm »

the electric bills

the draining & filling

the weather

not as many friends/parties coming over for a soak as envisioned before purchase

the novelty wears off

There are some questions that have no answer than is 100% for everybody.  However, i think your answer may be it for more people than any other.  The things somepeople think of as an extravagance, others consider a neccesity, like the hot tub is for me.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2008, 10:09:14 am »

the electric bills

the draining & filling

the weather

the novelty wears off

This is a prime example of an impulse shopper. If one would just have thought out this purchase and done a little research, they wouldn't be in these types of situations.
Heck, it took me a week and a half to pull the trigger on a new cordless drill/driver.  I got to the point where I was having dreams about drills b/c I was doing so much research. In case your wondering, I got the Makita 18v Lithium Ion.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2008, 10:09:57 am by WHY_NOT »

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2008, 12:47:58 pm »
So Chad, everyone that  is NOT an impuse shopper has a consistant, unchanging life style?  It took me two years of research and discussion to finally get my tub. Since I have my water management under control, the tub isn't really a maintence issue, but my electric bill is. The point of this whole conversation being that for different reasons people do decide to get rid of their tubs. I will never get rid of mine, but situations change which sometimes results in people reevaluating why they even have a tub.

This morning I took a relaxing soak to bring my blood pressure down..my son had an accident last night and it is really upsetting to see your kid show up with his car on a flat bed tow truck! So for the couple of weeks of minimal use...this morning was well worth the electric, the chems...whatever I have paid to have that big hot water heater on my deck waiting... ;)
Support your dealer so they can support you!

IL Parrothead

• Owner of 2008 Marquis Epic #2
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2008, 01:41:13 pm »
Chad, that's too funny!  I'm exactly the same way!  (By the way, I went Ryobi 18v Lithium +1.)
I've been in the market for a spa since this past October and I haven't pulled the trigger yet.
But I'm getting close!   ::)
Mike

rick_in_cleveland

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2008, 02:58:43 pm »
5 weeks ago I had surgery for a torn tendon in my foot and have been in a cast.  I really thought I would miss soaking but actually I don't.   I am not ready to sell my Reward yet but  not really looking forward to soaking  in it in another couple of weeks.  When I get in again maybe it will be back to 3-4 times a week or maybe once in a while....we will see

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2008, 03:38:14 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42