What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: I can't believe it took me 5 years to figure out..  (Read 5518 times)

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
I can't believe it took me 5 years to figure out..
« on: February 16, 2008, 04:48:35 pm »
I normally have a 100ft hose that rolls up into a carrier.  It I would leave it out, it would freeze, its too big and heavy to take in the house, so it goes in the garage.  I'm way overdue for a water change, and today is slightly warm.   It finally occurred to me that it is only 6 feet from the spicket to the tub.  I bought a cheapo hose at a discount store, cut it to 8 feet, bucketed out about 100 gallons and refilled.  Temp dropped to 84, but should be back for tonight.   Normally when I drain and refill I use two hoses at once, but for only 100 gallons this was fine.

I guess I should have paid attention in school

Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Hot Tub Forum

I can't believe it took me 5 years to figure out..
« on: February 16, 2008, 04:48:35 pm »

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
Re: I can't believe it took me 5 years to figure o
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2008, 05:54:20 pm »
"Short Bus Bill" strikes again.

How's the brain doing these days...

Or do you remember? Actually, with the way my brain is 'functioning' today, I have absolutely no room to poke fun at anyone. Trust me.

8-)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Shanezam203

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2008, 06:06:31 pm »
haha, nothing wrong with riding the short bus to school.

Gomboman

• My Pride and Joy
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2008, 06:38:10 pm »
Bill do you have a drain at the bottom of the spa? Never thought about using a bucket before. Sounds like good exercise. I'm assuming you used the bucket because it was faster?
2005 Hot Spring Envoy still going strong. Million-Mile Club....

I want to get in the spa business so I can surf the internet and use Photoshop all day long.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2008, 09:40:18 pm »
Bill do you have a drain at the bottom of the spa? Never thought about using a bucket before. Sounds like good exercise. I'm assuming you used the bucket because it was faster?

Much faster, the drain on this particual model is painfully slow. It would probably take 2 days to drain through it.   With a 5 gallon bucket I can get 100 gallons out in just a few minutes.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

searchinginfl

• 07 Caldera Niagra
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2008, 09:55:08 pm »
I'm new to this and I'm having a CC problem. I never thought of a partial drain. Can this help my issue do you think?
Ivie

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2008, 10:11:32 pm »
How long have you had your tub? I recommend drain and refill right at 30 days of ownership. All sorts of reasons, but let's just say it is a one-time thing which works wonders for a new tub owner.

8-)

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2008, 10:17:23 pm »
I'm new to this and I'm having a CC problem. I never thought of a partial drain. Can this help my issue do you think?

Many of us in the frozen tundra north of the Mason Dixon can't easily totally drain the tub and refill during the cold. Partial drains help me limp along until I can do a total drain and refill.

How long have you had your tub?  With reverance, we recommend all new users dump and refill after a month, and call it, "Chas' law."   If you search on that term, you may find it interesting

Gomboman

• My Pride and Joy
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2008, 11:00:38 pm »
Yes, I recommend Chas's law myself. I over did the chemicals when I was a spa virgin.  

I typically connect a garden hose to my HS drain at night after my soak and wake up to an empty spa ready for a re-fill in the morning.....
2005 Hot Spring Envoy still going strong. Million-Mile Club....

I want to get in the spa business so I can surf the internet and use Photoshop all day long.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2008, 10:22:08 am »
Yes, I recommend Chas's law myself. I over did the chemicals when I was a spa virgin.  

I typically connect a garden hose to my HS drain at night after my soak and wake up to an empty spa ready for a re-fill in the morning.....

My sister in law has a Dynasty and she can do that as well. Our tubs are similar models, with hers being a little smaller and no lounger, works like yours.  But the drain system on mine is really poor.  If you have ever used a water cooler to fill a glass of water, that is about how mine drains on its own.

My tub is very functional, and we still love it, but this is one of several small points that show some poor engineering with my particular model.

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2008, 01:16:46 pm »
Bill,

Go buy a vac hose for a pool. To save money, buy one for an above-ground pool. You should be able to get one at a home center for a low amount of cash, and if not, let me know and I will send one to you.

I would look at your yard and figure out exactly where you want the water to go, and then get a hose just long enough to reach, sort of what you did with your garden hose.

Now, put the end in the tub, close the lid or use other tricks to keep it in place, and start a siphon. If you have a 1.25" vac hose, it will drop fast - a 1.5" hose faster, and a 2" hose will go amazingly fast. You can use this for partial or full water changes, and these hoses are pretty easy to empty so you can store it safely away from sun in summer and freezing the rest of the year.

I have three or sections of suction hose for pool cleaners - they come in 36" lengths and snap together. That way I can put them side by side for massively fast draining, or end to end to put the water farther from the tub at a more controlled rate.

You're almost there Bill!

8-)

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2008, 04:39:09 pm »
That's exactly how I drain and it works so fast it is unbelievable! I just use my pool hose. ;)
Support your dealer so they can support you!

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2008, 06:58:26 pm »
I use the same method of draining that Chas does...However, if my hose is frozen or even stiff from the cold I throw it in the spa while it is draining to keep it warm and then have a pliable and thawed hose to refill! ;) 8-)

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2008, 06:58:26 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42