What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Re: Elite ES  (Read 6783 times)

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
Re: Elite ES
« on: February 15, 2008, 12:34:33 pm »
A Lifetime Warranty is hard to beat!

Terminator
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

Hot Tub Forum

« on: February 15, 2008, 12:34:33 pm »

Richs100

• From a 1993 HS Prodigy to a 2006 HS Envoy
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2008, 12:42:24 pm »
In reality, I suspect the lifetime warranty is based on the lifetime of the tub.   ;)
Does it say anything about being Pro-rated?
If you don't have anything nice to say about someone, come sit next to me.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2008, 12:47:56 pm »
In reality, I suspect the lifetime warranty is based on the lifetime of the tub.   ;)
Does it say anything about being Pro-rated?

Lifetime warranty. ::)

There are tow things to know about a lifetime warranty. 1) Often times there are limitations and 2) the only things ever warranted for a "lifetime" are the things they know don't fail. Who has frame failures? By the time a frame fails the rest of the spa is landfill material. If you like the Elite buy it but IMO you should ignore the sales mumbo jumbo about the frame. As far as importance in determining what brand to buy I'd say the frame is maybe 39th on the list, just below whether or not the dealer carries the James Brown rubber duck.

We don't see too much talk about Elite but I know someone I met in my neighborhood who has one and asked me about a couple very minor issues he had so I've looked his over and it seemed decent for the price and he's been happy with it.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 12:53:36 pm by Spatech_tuo »
220, 221, whatever it takes!

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2008, 01:38:25 pm »

Not a MAAX Spa!
« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 04:15:29 pm by East_TX_Spa »

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2008, 01:40:14 pm »
From a LEGAL standpoint, in most states a "lifetime warranty" is only SEVEN years.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

spaman--

• Hot tubs are not for soaking, they are for selling
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2008, 01:55:39 pm »
O.k what I have seen in the last nine months, bent frames, warped shells, 9 spas with leaking air injectors that required a full set replacement, warped plumbing (i.e diverter valves). I have had a very hard time getting parts from Canada, when I called Maxx on it I was yelled at and told how rediculous I was for even implying that their service wasn't so great.(I don't think Kelly Ann and I will be double dating anytime soon)  ;DTheir panels are near impossible to put back on after removing them. Call and try getting an Elite 8500 stereo cover from Maxx in Ontario, I found it impossible. We have also had numerous major plumbing lines freeze. We absolutely had no luck getting any kind of service from the Canadian Maxx office, in fact they even called our customers and blaimed all of their short falls on us. Customers are frustrated with the repeated service they have needed. If it weren't for the customers being stuck in the middle I would't work on another Elite spa. Finally I got in contact with the Chandler Az. office and we were able to work out some kind of arrangement on some of these situations. This has only been my experience Though I don't believe they do any different by others.

Good luck! ;)
-SpaMan~

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2008, 02:11:30 pm »

So I assume that the picture is of an Elite tub. If that frame was bent like that was it covered by the lifetime warranty or was it dropped off the top of a loading dock?

Scott  :)

I'm not sure what brand it is.  One of our esteemed forum members Stuart posted it a while back.  He is spaman's co-worker.

Terminator

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2008, 03:57:51 pm »
Aren't the Coleman spas and the Maax spas made by the same manufacturer? Sorry, Term, I usually agree 100% with you, but unless you know that is a Maax tub, you shouldn't lead us folks to believe that.  ;)...(hope you don't shoot me and hang me up with the gator) Or were you just showing an example of the strength of various frames or types of insulaton?

I looked at Maax too, years ago. The dealer went out of business before he brought any in for wet testing. I almost think it would be good to talk to someone who actually has one, or see if Spa Happy stops in. She may have information about the manufacturer.

You're hearing a lot from technicians who are finding it very frustrating working with the manufacturer...not a great sign. How about the dealer? Will he be in business long enough to honor your lifetime warranty should you need it? ..just some thoughts :-/
Support your dealer so they can support you!

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2008, 04:16:31 pm »
I's sorry Miss Boni.  I went back and changed it.  Didn't mean to 'cause no confusion. :-[

Poor Ol' Term

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2008, 04:29:21 pm »
The picture Term posted earlier, looked as if someone was testing for a leak with the spa filled it with water and did not have it supported except in the corners by cinder blocks, which would not be advisable with any spa.  Even a Hotsprings.

Another thing would be, how often do reputable manufacturers have trouble with frames?   No real need for a lifetime warranty.  
« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 04:31:35 pm by Jacuzzi_Jim »

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2008, 04:31:58 pm »
As I look at construction of Spa's I have been impressed with efforts made by Elite. Now I'm a newbie rookie to the Spa business so maybe I'm to easy to impress....

The Elite website is:
www.elitespasbymaax.com

Thanks,
Scott  :)

IMO your enthusiasm over their frame presentation is a case of a good job of selling on their part but I really don't think you should be banking a large part of your decision on the frame. If you talk to long time spa owners I doubt you'll hear comments such as "I love my spa and the frame is great" nor should you hear "we had bad luck with ours due to frame issues".

I'd base my decision on things that really matter to me such as how it feels in a wet test (don't be surprised if a spa that "looks" great or feels nice in a dry test is not so great in a wet test), how you feel about the dealer (how long in business, how long with brand, do they service their own spas, etc.), what kind of reputation the manufacturer has for quality and how well they back their warranty (all warranties basically read alike, not all are backed alike). Personally, assuming you're looking at qaulity made spas I'd probably be more influenced with how it looks aesthetically and what color options they have before I'd worry so much about the frame because frame issues are just not common with premium spas.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 04:35:12 pm by Spatech_tuo »
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2008, 06:32:32 pm »
You didn't follow my advice in what to look for in a spa!

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2008, 07:04:25 pm »
A car sitting on it?  Phooey...that ain't nothin'.

This spa rebrander had a 6,000 lb crapmonster sit on his:

My wife sits on my spa all the time and it's still good as new.

Not-Terminator

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2008, 12:30:26 am »
The picture Term posted earlier, looked as if someone was testing for a leak with the spa filled it with water and did not have it supported except in the corners by cinder blocks, which would not be advisable with any spa.  Even a Hotsprings.

Another thing would be, how often do reputable manufacturers have trouble with frames?   No real need for a lifetime warranty.  
It was indeed a spa that was brought in for a leak repair in my shop...Like most of the MAAX spas I sold it had leaking air injectors and fittings coming loose throughout.

I had a new employee at the time that only put blocks under the four corners to test it. Funny thing was there were two other spas supported the exact same way filled right beside it with wood frames that did not fail.

These frames bend on the spa dolly cart, when you try to lift them and on concrete pads that shift.

If you want to try it out for yourself,  go to Home Depot, stand on a metal 2x4 stud with it propped on another stud, you will bend it. Next try it with a wood one and you won't phase it.

We’ve found the Elite spas to be of substandard quality and MAAX of Canada to be extremely difficult to work with…Rarely to we even get the correct parts when ordered.

Funny, often the only way we get things fixed is to call Coleman in AZ and they seem to get things done. I still have my doubts about anything made by MAAX!

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2008, 10:51:40 am »
This spa rebrander had a 6,000 lb crapmonster sit on his:
My wife sits on my spa all the time and it's still good as new.
Not-Terminator

Careful there Not-Term,

you may have just offended the Crapmonsters of the world.

I have often wondered what that guy has to eat to produce so much of it?

Leaving it wide open for ya ...

8-)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2008, 10:51:40 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42