What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Just got a Jacuzzi J-345  (Read 11228 times)

Shanezam203

Just got a Jacuzzi J-345
« on: February 13, 2008, 11:19:10 pm »
Hi guys, I just wanted to say Hello.  I bought a Jacuzzi J-345 and it is my 1st spa.  

I got it Saturday, but just finished the electrical today and filled it.  I fired on the breaker, the temp read 64, and then I got an ICE message here in Illinois it is cold.  Then it went from ICE to - - - .  

I called Great Escape and they advised I turn the breaker off for 20+ minutes and try it again.
I did that, and I still have the - - - .  Any suggestions?  Do you think some water in the lines are frozen, or is it something else?

Thanks much,
Shane

Hot Tub Forum

Just got a Jacuzzi J-345
« on: February 13, 2008, 11:19:10 pm »

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
Re: Just got a Jacuzzi J-345
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2008, 03:55:04 am »
Welcome.  I'm sure you will get a good answer soon. 64 degrees in Illiinois? Must be southern Illinois!
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2008, 04:03:53 am »
Welcome aboard Shane. Nice choice of spas. 8-)

That sucks to have your inagural soak postponed like that. I too had to wait an extra day as my electrian(friend of mine) had to reschedule.  :'(

Anyways, on to your problem...I really don't think it has anything to do with the temperature of your water as I've done refills with starting temps in the 40s. The spa will still operate with the ICE message. What will happen is pump #1 will operate in low speed, circulating heated water until the spa is no longer in danger of freezing.
Your message --- is what's called the "Watchdog". It will completely deactivate your spa b/c it has detected a potential harmful problem.
I'm thinking that it's being displayed due to an improper electrical hook-up. Was it performed by a professional?
« Last Edit: February 14, 2008, 04:16:34 am by WHY_NOT »

Shanezam203

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2008, 09:01:28 am »
Welcome aboard Shane. Nice choice of spas. 8-)

I'm thinking that it's being displayed due to an improper electrical hook-up. Was it performed by a professional?
Thanks for all the replies.  It was done by my Dad who is a Union Electrician, he has been doing Electrical for more than 15 years, done plenty of tubs / 220 too...  With that said, any idea where I can suggest he starts checking our work?  

Again the tub turns on, reads 62 or 64, then the RED light comes on which I read is HEAT.  
Then I see a flashing ICE 62 ICE 62 ICE 62 ICE...  Then after about a minute it shuts off and goes into safety / lock --- .  

Some more notes -
I saw oH once before it shut down...
I was able to adjust the temp + and -
I could turn on the LED's, and change the color...  
Jet 1 is quiet, Jet 2 sounds like it has 2 cycles to it.  (But I don't see anything coming from the jets)
Now it is sitting with water filled, filters in, but the breaker is OFF.  

Thanks everyone for the help, hope it is something simple.

Shane

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2008, 09:19:29 am »
Welcome Shane.

It sounds odd that it could be electrical as in my experience, the spa generally doesn't even run for a minute or 2 properly if wired incorrectly.

To me, (and I'm no tech), it sounds like a lack of flow. Running for a bit, reading ICE (which is normal in freezing conditions) and OH briefly and then shutting down all all sound like a flow issue to me with a blockage of ice in one of the lines. Usually, a spa will read FLOW or FL so I'm not sure why the ---?

A trouble light or other source of heat in the pak area would be a good choice while it's off and it may even solve your issue...

Steve
« Last Edit: February 14, 2008, 09:22:06 am by Steve »

Shanezam203

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2008, 09:26:49 am »
Welcome Shane.

It sounds odd that it could be electrical as in my experience, the spa generally doesn't even run for a minute or 2 properly if wired incorrectly.

A trouble light or other source of heat in the pak area would be a good choice while it's off and it may even solve your issue...

Steve
Steve, it doesnt run longer than 60 seconds.  I turn the Breaker on, it reads the software 356 or something.
Then a temp of 62 or 64, then ICE.  The RED heat light comes on like it wants to warm it up.  But flashes the TEMP and ICE.  

I bought an Electric Water Pipe Heat Cable I can string along some lines if I take the other 3 pannels off and sense they are cold.  Do you advise I remove more than just the front pannel?  

Thanks so much for the help,

Shane

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2008, 09:39:33 am »
I have to ask: did your dealer just drop the tub off and expect you to do the entire set up? Maybe my dealer wasn't typical, but my tub was set up, filled, and everything was checked before he left. (maybe you had to wait for the electric hookup??) I think your dealer needs to get to your house pronto...It's too cold to have a tub full of water with no heat available. :(
Wish Jacuzzi Jim would stop in...
Support your dealer so they can support you!

Shanezam203

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2008, 09:56:42 am »
Bonnie, I got it delivered before the Electrical was ran...  I did it backwards.   ::)

It is warming up now, staying running and no --- after a long reset of the breaker.

I will keep yall posted.  

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2008, 10:08:06 am »
great...maybe it just needed a few extra minutes. I know when I do a refill with my very cold well water, I get an ice message and after a short delay the heat kicks in.  Good luck
Support your dealer so they can support you!

Water Boy

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2008, 10:18:03 am »
Congrats on your new hot tub. Hopefully you will get it going soon. Be sure to post some pics of the completed job! Feel free to chime in if you have any questions on chemicals, etc.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2008, 10:18:36 am by Happy_Madison »
Arctic Spas Dealer of the Year- 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009

Shanezam203

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2008, 10:20:56 am »
great...maybe it just needed a few extra minutes. I know when I do a refill with my very cold well water, I get an ice message and after a short delay the heat kicks in.  Good luck
Looks like it was too cold here in Chicago last night.  
It is getting warmer now, the red heat light is on.

I will report back when it is 100+

8-) 8-) 8-)Shane

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2008, 10:33:15 am »
Great news, we had a nice soak under 165 degree clear skies last night.  Valentines Day might be a good day for a good first soak
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Shanezam203

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2008, 11:04:58 am »
Valentines Day might be a good day for a good first soak
Don't mind if I do...   ;)      It is 73 and rising.   8-)

I will look on here for a thread already started, but is there anywhere you can suggest I go for Chemical / Maintenence 101?  I bought a starter kit from Great Escape and need to know what I put in daily, and what goes in once a week...  Shocking, PH up, PH down...   :-/ :-/ :-/

Right now it is just filled with water, and has 2 filters + one yellow Nature2 Spa Purifier Cartridge.

I got the starter kit and I will read through the manuals...

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2008, 01:13:10 pm »
 Sorry I am late to the party! :-[   First off congrats on buying a Jacuzzi!   The J-345 is a very popular spa, and fits the needs of a lot people, size wise and hydrotherapy wise.  ;)

Usually the watch dog error can mean a few different things sensor wise, what, if ever we see in a brand new spa situation is a loose connection where the temp sensor and high limit plug into the circuit board are not all the way plugged in.   Most of the time its an electrician that bumped it, or it came loose during shipping, even though its practically locked/snapped on to the board.

I would still call your dealer and have him make sure the connections on the board are secured.    Not saying it will come back but its possible it could still be a faulty sensor and the watchdog may come back.

Chemical wise, not sure why you paid for a start up kit? But I would find out what the system is they want you to use.

Most common is dichlor (chlorine) after use, shock once or every other week depending on bather load. Make sure you put the nat2 cartridge on the circ pump side, if you remove the filters it will be the side with the screen/grid in the fitting that your filter screws into.  Watch PH and alk don't let it get to low or real high for that matter.

Anyway congrats again on the spa,  There are a lot of people hear that can help you with any questions you might have regarding chems,and various other things you might come up with!!  

Shanezam203

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2008, 02:26:58 pm »
Thanks for the info Jim, I love the 345, its a perfect 1st spa.  

I bought the starter kit because it had the word starter in the title...  I don't know a thing about Hot Tubs or Chemicals so I want to try to learn...  I don't want to be draining the tub every week trying to get it right.  I think with the right routine, I can have it down in no time...  I am going to bring in a water sample to them today, is that a good start?  

The water temp is 92 or so and rising 5-6 degrees an hour here.  Can I jump in it tonight, or wait some time if I throw in shock or chemicals for the 1st time...

Thanks all for the help and welcome.

Shane

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2008, 02:26:58 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42