What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Columbus Home Show  (Read 5155 times)

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
Columbus Home Show
« on: February 09, 2008, 08:59:29 pm »
We went to the annual home show here in Columbus.  3 years ago it was also the infamous Master Spa traveling circus.  That was the only year the show was affiliated with that travesty.  This year, the show, which is usually a good one had to relocate to a smaler venue because of problems at our convention center.

There was only one hot tub dealer, if you don't count Soft tub, which I don't, call me a hot tub snob  :D  That was Royal Spas out of Indianapolis.  They only had one of their spas up and running, and I just don't find them impressive.  They did have 4 or 5 of a spa I saw at a show last year, its a small spa with its own built in cover. Interesting looking, and maybe good for people in condos.  I did find out that the local Royal dealer is now carrying Coleman.  Coleman is one of the spas that has a decent reputation that I have never seen personally.  It might be worth a look in case I do decide to get back in the market.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Hot Tub Forum

Columbus Home Show
« on: February 09, 2008, 08:59:29 pm »

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
Re: Columbus Home Show
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2008, 09:16:33 pm »
Back in 2004 when I was looking Coleman was an impressive spa. I didn't wet test but I did dry test. I didn't like the dealer so that was one of the reasons I didn't persue them. The other thing was they only had 2 colors, even if I liked the dealer I might not have chosen Coleman because of that reason. I remembered the colors not striking me too much.

Chubby Johnson

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2008, 09:40:07 pm »
Royal reminds me of Arctic in that they have very thick shells but they seem to be behind the times as far as their pushbutton controls go.

It's as if Royal has intentionally antiquated themselves. Sort of like a carmaker that just refuses to progress to power steering or air conditioning.

Shaamus

• America's SPA-MART
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2008, 10:07:52 pm »
Royal stays away from electronic controls by design.  Their owner doesn't believe in them.

Summitman

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2008, 10:17:28 pm »
Royal reminds me of Arctic in that they have very thick shells but they seem to be behind the times as far as their pushbutton controls go.

I guess I would like you to go in detail on how Arctic is behind times "as far as their pushbutton controls go".

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2008, 10:28:15 pm »

It's as if Royal has intentionally antiquated themselves. Sort of like a carmaker that just refuses to progress to power steering or air conditioning.

It definitely is intenional, simplistic less to break is their philosophy.

This is the model they had at the show.

I find it somewhat ironic that the one they were showing was stereo equiped.  If I think of things that are going to break on a spa, I would think stereos, would rank up ahead of electronic controls.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2008, 10:35:49 pm by wmccall »
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2008, 10:35:08 pm »

It definitely is intenional, simplistic less to break is their philosophy.

When a $10 relay goes out, you replace a $10 relay, not a $600 circuit board.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

D.P. Roberts

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2008, 11:49:59 pm »
We went to the annual home show here in Columbus.  3 years ago it was also the infamous Master Spa traveling circus.  That was the only year the show was affiliated with that travesty.  This year, the show, which is usually a good one had to relocate to a smaler venue because of problems at our convention center.

There was only one hot tub dealer, if you don't count Soft tub, which I don't, call me a hot tub snob  :D

The Home & Garden Show, which starts in a few weeks, will be much bigger. Miller's Pools & Spas, Spa & Hot Tub Outlet, Backyard Oasis, & Spas Direct will all be there. None of the big dealers, but many smaller ones.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain

Spa Crime Buster

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2008, 12:45:54 am »
This is your local Royal Spa and Coleman Spa Dealer  

http://www.enquirer.com/editions/2002/02/03/loc_1fiorini_investors.html

Here is his BBB member info....funny the name is spelled differntly, off by one letter.  I wonder if the BBB knows who this guy is?

http://centralohio.bbb.org/WWWRoot/Report.aspx?site=49&bbb=0302&firm=70015371

Advertises with Google on this home page. >:(
« Last Edit: February 10, 2008, 03:50:25 pm by wmccall »

Chubby Johnson

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2008, 04:58:29 am »

I guess I would like you to go in detail on how Arctic is behind times "as far as their pushbutton controls go".

Maybe it was poor sentence structure on my part or you read my post incorrectly, not sure. I was comparing Arctic to Royal only in terms of both having a thick shell.

Wow. You are touchy and quick on the defense.

104 degrees

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2008, 05:56:19 am »

responding to warrentee service is behind the times.ask around here.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2008, 03:47:42 pm »

The Home & Garden Show, which starts in a few weeks, will be much bigger. Miller's Pools & Spas, Spa & Hot Tub Outlet, Backyard Oasis, & Spas Direct will all be there. None of the big dealers, but many smaller ones.
Fair grounds?

Tom

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2008, 10:32:37 am »
I'm not sure to what you're referring.  Ask, and I'll answer just as quickly as I can.  Sometimes we have not been able to respond as swiftly as I would like, but we do our best to take care of customers and I believe that we have demonstrated that on this forum over the past few years.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2008, 11:34:27 am by Graybeard »

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2008, 10:53:33 am »

I don't agree with this "blanket statement" at all. If you are referring to a couple of posts a while back, I can show you a few for every manufacturer over the years on this forum. Why so bitter 104 and what's your point? Your posts seem senseless in nature and without guidance nor insight...

These one-line jabs hold little value.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2008, 10:55:23 am by Steve »

Summitman

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2008, 11:34:27 am »

Maybe it was poor sentence structure on my part or you read my post incorrectly, not sure. I was comparing Arctic to Royal only in terms of both having a thick shell.

Wow. You are touchy and quick on the defense.

I was reading like a customer would and just wanted it clarified that Arctic doesnt use pushbutton controls.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2008, 11:34:27 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42