What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Smooth or textured shells?  (Read 6339 times)

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
Smooth or textured shells?
« on: February 08, 2008, 09:31:05 am »
I don't know how much thought goes into selecting the spa shell once you have gone through the exhausting process of deciding on a brand and model, but are colors more important to most people, or the surface? I was wondering how many people have smooth shells (like the pearls) and how many have the textured shells? And if you are happy with your selection. We didn't give too much thought when we got our tub since my hubby liked the color and thought the lights would reflect well off a smooth shell, but I am wondering if a textured shell is less slippery, but tougher to clean? Any thoughts?
Support your dealer so they can support you!

Hot Tub Forum

Smooth or textured shells?
« on: February 08, 2008, 09:31:05 am »

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
Re: Smooth or textured shells?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2008, 09:43:37 am »
Is yours slippery?  We are on the other side of the fence, I wanted to buy on color and how it would look with the lights on.  My wife thought they would be too slippery. But 5 years later, I think we do a good enough job with the water that it wouldn't be a problem.   Spots on my textured tub can get slippery.  I drain usually 4 times a year, and in the summer drain I wipe the tub down with the clorox wipes.  I really like the look of some of the tubs with the white shells and the lights on.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2008, 09:51:16 am »
I didn't spend too much time deciding. Once I saw Jacuzzi's platinum shell with silverwood skirting, I knew that's exactly the combo I wanted. Smooth all the way for me. I have never liked the looks of the textured shells but that's just me. I think the smooth ones have more of a "rich" look to them. 8-)

It's a good thing I went with what I did too. I really don't think I would have noticed my brown spots otherwise. I bought a pearl white car for the same reason - it's one of the few colors where you can actually tell if it's 100% clean. I wouldn't be surprised if some of you that have darker color shells, have similar spots to the ones that I had but you just can't see them.

Btw, Happy 2000 Boni!!

« Last Edit: February 08, 2008, 09:53:10 am by WHY_NOT »

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2008, 10:44:44 am »
Bill, I have a smooth shell, and I haven't had any problems with slipping when the tub is full. When I clean the spa though, it does get slippery. And from what you are saying, the textured ones would too. I am just curious as to the thought process that others have used to justify either smooth or textured and if the textured shells are tougher to keep clean since they have raised surfaces.

Thanks Chad, I didn't even notice...just goes to show I tend to jabber as much on line as I do off line!! ;D

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2008, 10:52:11 am »
When I am scrubbing my textured tub, I feel like it is more work than if I was just wiping off a smooth tub.  We went with textured because Gina liked it better.

Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

dax

• '07 Sundance Cameo
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2008, 10:55:32 am »
We have a textured shell.  Sundance calls it bluegrass, but it's more greenish.  We just liked the color.  I liked the smooth pearl color as well, but the wife thought it would be a PITA to keep clean.  So to answer your question, we didn't care so much about the surface as the color.

Zep

• Cal Spas SQ92 Dallas-Texas
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2008, 11:30:56 am »
it's a 2EachHisHerOwn decision...

personally i really like the smoothe pearl look

dealers?....what are the sales percentages?
50% smoothe? ----- 50% textured?
is there any price difference?

Brookenstein

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2008, 11:31:50 am »
I grew up with a smooth and always liked how they looked... more elegant and classy IMO.  When my parents replaced their 20+ year old tub, they went with a textured because they thought it might last longer than the old one did, lol.  It is fine, but to me, they just look cheaper.  My tub is a pearl and I think it looks beautiful, but it scratches easily.  Not a big deal, because they are on the seats and you only see it when you clean it, but the scratches shocked me.  Its not like I have a swimsuit on with metal pieces or anything... but I think we must sit on sand sometimes and that has done it.

For me, the next tub color smooth/textured won't really make a difference... I'll just buy the best deal I can cause I'm cheap like that.

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2008, 11:36:52 am »
No Brooke, you are just honest and smart! ;)

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2008, 03:57:20 pm »
I've got a textured shell.  I chose a textured because I thought it would be easier to maintain and would look good for a long period of time.  At five and a half years old, it looks as it did the day it arrived.  It is also very easy to keep clean...as a matter of fact, I do nothing.  Once a year, though, I do spa gloss it.  Though I like the look of the smooth shells, I would probably purchase another textured (I like the look of these too).

searchinginfl

• 07 Caldera Niagra
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2008, 05:07:27 pm »
I've got a textured shell. When I was wet testing, I noticed water spots around the tops of all the smooth shelled tubs, and that would make me nuts. Since I don't like high-maintenance things, textured is great. The only time I ever see a water spot is on my display, and it gets me nuts. I have not had a slippery issue, but the tub is only 2 months old. I love it, and would buy again.
Ivie

In Canada eh

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2008, 05:20:30 pm »
We have a smooth shell,  black onyx, it looks great sort of like marble.  I don't find the shell slippery at all but it does show water spots.  I think that has more to do with the black colour and not the shell type.  If I was to buy another tub i think I would choose a smooth shell again but probably not black
Bullfrog 451

Cyn

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2008, 06:43:03 pm »
I didn't spend too much time deciding. Once I saw Jacuzzi's platinum shell with silverwood skirting, I knew that's exactly the combo I wanted. Smooth all the way for me. I have never liked the looks of the textured shells but that's just me. I think the smooth ones have more of a "rich" look to them. 8-)  

I have the same combo and for the same reason.  I did notice a scratch, pretty quickly, on the top edge of the shell and wondered if I had made a mistake.  But since then I have had no complaints and to this day I have no idea where that scratch came from or if it might have been there on delivery.  

The_Pa._Lady

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2008, 02:54:32 pm »

Our spa is a smooth pearl color, we like it, especially when the lights are on at night, it shows up really great, cleaning is easy.  Now as far as being slippery, yes it is a bit, but I got some good advice from some good people on this forum to wear
flip-flops or clogs and the problem was solved.  No more slipping.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2008, 02:54:32 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42