What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Starting my search  (Read 24511 times)

IL Parrothead

• Owner of 2008 Marquis Epic #2
Starting my search
« on: October 20, 2007, 01:21:42 am »
Now that Solo has made his purchase, I figure I'll weigh in on the start of my search!  Congrats Solo!  I've been following along on your decision process.

I also have injuries and need for the therapeutic benefits of a spa.  So far, just on features and availability of dealers in my area, I've narrowed my search to Hot Springs, D1 and Caldera.  I take my first wet test tomorrow (Hot Springs Vista).  My wife and I plan to wet test 2 D1 tubs (Chairman II and Amore' Bay -- I know -- both ends of the spectrum) and a Caldera tub within the next week.  From what I've been reading here, it's a very subjective process and I can't wait to wet test.

If anyone wants to chime in on their opinion of these 3 manufacturers..........My biggest criteria are quality of construction and therapy for neck, shoulders, back and hip.

I'm looking forward to the journey and joining "The Club"!
Mike

Hot Tub Forum

Starting my search
« on: October 20, 2007, 01:21:42 am »

96SC

Re: Starting my search
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2007, 02:13:51 am »
Welcome to the forum.
We had our first spa delivered about a month ago and love it.  I'm not going to influence your decision by telling which of the 3 brands you mentioned we have.  All of them are reputable companies.

The ultimate decision will be made with you and your wifes butts in the seats and the jets on your neck, shoulders etc.  Enjoy the testing experience, don't make it a chore.

Enjoy. :)

Before I speak, I have something important to say--Groucho Marx

scromey

• 2007 D1 Nautilus (Love it)
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2007, 09:48:44 am »
Welcome IL Parrothead,
I used this site to help with my search and the best advice was to wet test. I wanted it to be an "ahh haa" experience for me. I tested a total of 4 tubs and chose the D1 Nautilus. My requirements were (therapeutic, quality, variety of jets/seating) which the Nautilus has. I had my tub delivered on 8/15 and I soak almost every day. I was told by some people (not on this site) that the newness would ware off, but so far it's still worth the effort to get off the couch and soak.

I positioned my hottub so I can see my tv and put speakers outside with a volume knob, so it really does add to my list of "reasons I  should soak".  We watch whole movies, football games, or just the news (not to say that I am watching tv all the time).  

Back to the D1 Nautilus for a second. It does not have a lot of "fancy" features, but everyone that has ever come over to soak says it's the best expirience they have had in a hot tub. Lots of room (7 person capacity) usually only 2-4 at a time, but still room for more.  We end up playing musical chairs to cool down or get a seat with different jets. One seat is a little deep for most people and is one of the therapy seats with an adjustable neck pad with 4 jets. I am 5'7". I was surprised that it was not my favorite seat. I still like it, but until the weather gets colder it is hard to stay in it for too long without overheating (only face up is exposed). It's funny how even a few extra inches of being out of the water helps cool you down.

I tried keeping my water at 103, then 101 and now at 100 which seams to be the most enjoyable and allows us to stay in the tub for a long time ( usually 30min-2hrs). After that the flesh starts falling off the bone. Actually, even after that long I don't really feel like I have to take a nap (sometimes I do).

I live in Northern IL and the weather is getting nice and cool (mid 40's this morning). I have to get out there now and soak. For the record, I will be soaking in silence (no tv, music), just the birds chirping, and watch the sun rising with the steam. Most relaxing time of the day.

I had to jump in and mention my D1 since it doesn't look like many people have them on this site. I LOVE MINE and the only thing I regret is that my dealer is pretty lax. I ordered special rounded steps and I still have not received them. Dealer says not much he can do. I wrote D1 directly yesterday and have not heard back yet.  

Checkout the pics I posted.
http://www.whatsthebest-hottub.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?num=1187397806/7#7

I look forward to hearing what you decide.
scromey
scromey

solo

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2007, 10:15:13 am »
Check your board mail.  I sent you a PM.

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2007, 10:22:24 am »
Hey Parrothead.

Isn't the key question, what would Jimmy Buffet do? :D
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

solo

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2007, 10:35:14 am »
The D1 Chariman II was probably the absolut nicest spa I sat in.  But there was no way to get that spa in my price range.  I loved the adjustable neck jet system.  The CVaptains Chaoir was a great seat.  And the lounger was nice.  Some people really like the sequncer in this tub but it did nothing for me.  I also liked the display on this tub, much nicer than the average display.  All around a great tub.  But I didn't have the jack to buy it.

Calderra Spas gave a nice therapeutic massage.  Very strong jets.  I really liked the Geneva and the therapy it provided to my lower back.  

Hotsprings just felt like a quality tub.  Lots of attention to detail.  Solid fit and finsih.  The moto massage seat is very nice, though I ended up liking a different type of therapy for my lower back.  

If you are going for hydrotherapy, I would look at Jacuzzi too.  

Happy Wet testing!  

ndabunka

• 2003 Jacuzzi J370 Platinum/Coastal Grey Synthetic
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2007, 11:59:22 am »
Buffet would have a 20 or 30 ladies go pick up a tub, chill the margarita's and call him when the thing got to temp.

"Thank god I don't live in a trailer"...
...The gene pool could use a little chlorine....

Quickly approaching a mid-life crisis one day at a time.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2007, 01:05:53 pm »
I also have injuries and need for the therapeutic benefits of a spa.  So far, just on features and availability of dealers in my area, I've narrowed my search to Hot Springs, D1 and Caldera.  

If anyone wants to chime in on their opinion of these 3 manufacturers..........My biggest criteria are quality of construction and therapy for neck, shoulders, back and hip.

I'm looking forward to the journey and joining "The Club"!

One wod of advice I always give is to try your best to wet test all of them on the SAME day (or same weekend at a minimum).

This is a VERY subjective test. To wet test one on a Saturday and another 5 days later and be able to compare them well can be difficult, especially if all 3 are good choices and there is a good chance you'l like each one fairly well.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

IL Parrothead

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2007, 07:57:04 pm »
Solo -- thank you very much for the message.  I will certainly look for more of your advice after my round of upcoming wet tests.
Scromey -- beautiful install!  Also being a Northern IL area guy, I can't wait to get through the bad weather months (with all of my old war wounds) sitting in a spa!
As for Buffett, being a Chicagoan, I'm thinking this tub will be the closest thing I'll get to sitting on the beach, sipping a Margarita every day after work!   :)  Can't wait!
Spatech -- considering my wife wants to wet test at the end of the business day, and since most dealers around here close around the same time, I don't know how I'll get all of the tests done back-to-back.  I'm lucky in that the 3 brands I've mentioned have dealers all within about a 10 minute drive of my house.  I'm hoping to get at least 2 stores in on the same day and the third within a couple of days after.
The best knowledge I've gathered from this forum is the info on the salesmen. It really has helped me separate truth from fiction when they start the "My spa is better than all the rest" stuff.  And reading what people have paid for their spas helps a lot too.
Solo -- thanks again for taking the time to send me an individual msg.  Thanks to all, and I'll keep you up to date on my search!

Mike
Mike

IL Parrothead

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2007, 08:09:34 pm »
Okay, went back to HS dealer today to set up a wet test for later this week.  They also have a couple of Artesian tubs filled, so I'll do those back-to-back.
The Caldera and D1 dealers aren't really close enough to each other to west test those the same day.  So far, though, it looks like Caldera is offering the best price and D1 the highest (with the upper level Artesian close behind).
Let's see what the wet tests reveal.......
Mike

scromey

• 2007 D1 Nautilus (Love it)
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2007, 08:12:07 am »
Not sure which D1 you were looking at, but I paid $9100 out the door for my D1 Nautilus. I think I got a pretty good deal. I didn't pay full price, but also did not steal it.
scromey

IL Parrothead

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2007, 01:40:57 pm »
Scromey, I'm not sure which D1 model I'd settle on, but they have a Chairman II and an Amore' Bay filled, available for wet test.  I'm hoping to get a good idea on the therapy available from D1 with these two tubs.  Without even negotiating yet, the different tubs I'm looking at have prices from the low end of about 8K (Caldera) to 13K or so (D1 Amore Bay).  I think the first opening price they gave me on the Chairman was about 10K.
Mike

96SC

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2007, 01:59:51 pm »
Once you get comfortable with a couple spa go to the next level of questions:  Do we want ozone? (optional in some spas, standard in others.)  110 or 220? 24 hour circ pump or not? Would I mind pumping water out at refill or just opening the drain and letting it all go?  Silver ion or not?

Sorry IL Parrothead but you still have several decisions to make.  In most cases, I would wager to bet, when someone picks out a spa because of comfort they won't give a rat's a** about the above and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.  But they, and others, are things to consider.
Before I speak, I have something important to say--Groucho Marx

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2007, 02:03:47 pm »
 My wife and I plan to wet test 2 D1 tubs (Chairman II and Amore' Bay -- I know -- both ends of the spectrum)

This is another good reason to wet test. I'm sure many people that buy the top end later find out they would be as happy or more happy with the other end.  West testing may not be mandatory, but I don't think it ever hurts.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

bohms

• 2006 Artesian Piper Glen
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2007, 02:47:07 pm »
Are you going to wet test the Artesian?  Is so, which model?  I have a Piper Glen, let me know if you have questions.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2007, 02:47:07 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42