What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Pumbing repair tips...Article research  (Read 3903 times)

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
Pumbing repair tips...Article research
« on: February 07, 2008, 12:24:48 pm »
OK, here is where I need the pros to weigh in a give their best tips on plumbing.

1. What kind of glue do you use
2. Do you use primer
3. Ball valve or slice valve
4. Do you use a cleaner or sandpaper
5. How do you replace a fitting in a tight place you have to save either the fitting or the pipe.
6. Do you leave your glue in your service van and at what point do you throw it away.

Any tricks, tips or opinions are appreciated...Even from those outside the industry.

Hot Tub Forum

Pumbing repair tips...Article research
« on: February 07, 2008, 12:24:48 pm »

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
Re: Pumbing repair tips...Article research
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2008, 01:13:46 pm »
OK, here is where I need the pros to weigh in a give their best tips on plumbing.

2. Do you use primer
5. How do you replace a fitting in a tight place you have to save either the fitting or the pipe.
6. Do you leave your glue in your service van and at what point do you throw it away.

Any tricks, tips or opinions are appreciated...Even from those outside the industry.

We use flexible PVC cement (# 747 I believe) primer absolutely, slice valves if needed,none if not. Emery cloth to clean pvc before priming.

How to replace a fitting in a tight place would be to long to explain, an honest answer is, what ever it take to get it fixed!  

Glue life not sure he probably replaces it as needed??

A good tip! Measure twice cut once, dry fit if possible because once its glued, it's not coming off.  Unless your Term and can use your mind powers to will it off, or explosives in moderation.  ;)
« Last Edit: February 07, 2008, 01:16:56 pm by Jacuzzi_Jim »

loosenupspas

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2008, 01:45:35 pm »
fit all joints together first to double check your tolerances then glue.  
Primer will help as a kind of a lubricant, use it check the fit and then glue.
Once glued all pieces will fit together quickly and dry fast too.
I use water-proof fast dry glue from the home depot.
Let all fresh joints sit 24 hours if possible, particularly those with pressure on them.

Pathfinder

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2008, 02:28:26 pm »

2. Do you use primer

1) I have used many of the Weld.On products like wet n dry & Hot n Cold both work great. For normal everyday apps I use normal clear Pvc sch 40 cement for spas & pools either sch 40 or Sch80 depending whats there.

2) Always use primer, it not only cleans the pipe & fittings but also softens it up for a better bond. Visible installs I use clear primer. For hidden & multiple connections I will use a colored primer so nothing is missed. (In Canada plumbing apprentices are only allowed to use colored primer)

3) If there's room I prefer a ball valve from Praher. If it has to be a slice Valve then I prefer the serviceable ones from Praher.  Knife valves all too often dont close properly & its a pain especially when they are one piece & you cant just take it apart to replace the o-rings or w/e caused the prob.(most of the probs are glue from factory built up in the channel for the divider.)

4) Refer to #2  but I will use open emery cloth for pipe with foam residue on it. Then I will apply primer.

5) To save the fitting a Ram-bit has never failed me along with a Dremel. To save the pipe I have used a pipe extender fitting on flex as well as rigid PVC.  They work the best especially when the pipe is under ground.  In a spa though you can always cut back more pipe to do it right.  The worst I have seen is someone used a     Fernco(boot coupling) to join a high pressure connection the result wasnt pretty.

6) Summer is ok to leave glue in Vans as long as your not in the 100's. In the Cold never, it actually changes the structure of the glue & becomes useless. I use a big can of colored primer and a small can of clear. It takes a lot to contaminate primer so it lasts. Glue, I always have an unopened can of wet dry inside & I only use small cans of sch 40 clear then dispose after the job or 5 days if it was only opened to do a couple fittings.  Sch 80 glue I will use all summer until it done.(I dont remember the reason why I could use for multiple uses over a long duration but you can)

I managed a pool & spa division for a large plumbing company so I learned quite a bit from the plumbers there.   I am not a fan of the one step PVC glue seen to many factory fittings come apart.  Always remember when gluing PVC together keep pressure on the joint for 30 secs or it will push itself apart.  Oh ya clear primer works wonders for removing silicone, tar and abs glue from your hands.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2008, 02:56:13 pm by Pathfinder »

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2008, 02:53:19 pm »
loosenup,
I usually start these and then let everyone comment without interuption but I have to comment here...You should NEVER primer a joint, put the peices together and then pull them apart!

PVC glue does not really glue, it cold welds using a solvent that penetrates the top layer of the PVC causing it to soften and swell. The primer is similar in nature and if you paint on primer, slide the fittings together and then pull them apart you will score both peices of the joint and potentially cause a leak.

If this is what your doing I would caution against it...It could cause some real headaches down the road.

Thanks again for you input, I just wanted to correct this.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2008, 02:53:19 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42