What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Are we fools?  (Read 10818 times)

coldinMA

Are we fools?
« on: January 27, 2008, 09:53:40 pm »
So today we were at the Boston Home show, specifically looking to shop for hottubs.  Admittedly the only hottub we had looked at before today was Sundance Marin.  There was a pretty reputable business there, and they sold Artesian, Vita, and Down East (aka Master Spas).  We were impressed with the MS salesman(he was specifically a MS salesman and did not work for the store), and put a deposit on the MS Portsmouth...we specifically like the shoulder jets, and hip jets, that was what sold us, and admittedly we haven't looked at other models to see if these are options...of course the salesman said they were the only company that sold the shoulder jets (he called them rotator cuff jets).  It was $7295 + tax, and he threw in the cover and lift, stairs, upgrade to a fourth pump and full foam icynene sprayed underneath.  So now I read alot of badness about MS sales practices on this forum and I'm wondering if we've been had...we have 72 hours to cancel the order....should we.  We honestly liked the spa, we're going to wet test it Tues., and the business that sells the spa seems reputable.  Are people unhappy with the MS spas themselves, or the salesman?
Thanks!

Hot Tub Forum

Are we fools?
« on: January 27, 2008, 09:53:40 pm »

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
Re: Are we fools?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2008, 10:18:47 pm »
Is the dealer you purchased from a local established dealer, that's been carrying this brand for a while?
« Last Edit: January 27, 2008, 10:36:59 pm by lets »
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

searchinginfl

• 07 Caldera Niagra
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2008, 10:27:26 pm »
The foolish thing was the "impulse" buy. Many other spas offer neck jets. You should wet test that one and others before making your final decision. If they are a reputable dealer, they will give you the same deal if you go back to them in a week or two and say you decided that that was the one you liked best after testing others.

Wet testing is so, so important! Those neck jets may hit you wrong for instance. I tried 2 brands with neck jets (something I really wanted) and all they did was splash me all over my face! The Caldera I purchased didn't splash like the other 2  did (D-1 and Vita). Dynasty had great neck jets, but I found the rest of the jets to be very weak. Other people have had totally different experiences. My husband got in a Sundance Optima and found it so uncomfortable he couldn't wait to get out, and most people love that spa! I didn't like the moto-massage in the Hot Springs. I originally wanted a lounge but after wet testing changed my tune.

My advice would be to wet test that spa, research the dealer, and test at least one or two others for comparison! You don't want to always wonder "are we fools" every time you get in your spa.
Ivie

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2008, 11:02:53 pm »
Was the name of the company Crocker Sales? If so, according to their website they only carry Artesian, Vita, and Reflections. They do not mention Master spas. This could be another scam by the traveling circus of Master spas. They use a reputable dealer's name to get the sale, where in reality they have no affiliation with them at all. Terminator knows all about this scam first hand. I'd proceed with caution......

http://www.crocker-sales.com/showroom.html#spas

Btw, I think the closest master spa dealer to you is in Hartford, CT(100 miles away). Atleast that's what google told me.....
« Last Edit: January 27, 2008, 11:23:24 pm by WHY_NOT »

Vanguard

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2008, 11:29:13 pm »
First of all, he out and out lied to you.  He told you they were the only spa with shoulder jets.  Many brands have jets that will take care of your shoulders.  That would make me hesitate to deal with him.

I'd cancel the order now, then do your shopping.  Go to the local dealership that carries the spas.  Check them out and wet test the spa.  Then go see some other dealers and test their spas.

After you do all that, make the decision which spa is the best for you.  If it is Master, so be it.  But don't buy a spa on an impulse.  Bad decision.
The stars at night are big and bright, deep in the heart of Texas and my Vanguard!!!

104 degrees

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2008, 06:43:12 am »

Btw, I think the closest master spa dealer to you is in Hartford, CT(100 miles away). Atleast that's what google told me.....[/quote]

This is where they load up there trucks to go to shows. They do have tubs there(or they did six months ago).There are alot of spas with the neck jets, they do splash you. caldera has a cover over theres,look at there video it will show you.

coldinMA

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2008, 07:47:42 am »
Was the name of the company Crocker Sales? If so, according to their website they only carry Artesian, Vita, and Reflections. They do not mention Master spas. This could be another scam by the traveling circus of Master spas. They use a reputable dealer's name to get the sale, where in reality they have no affiliation with them at all. Terminator knows all about this scam first hand. I'd proceed with caution......

http://www.crocker-sales.com/showroom.html#spas

Btw, I think the closest master spa dealer to you is in Hartford, CT(100 miles away). Atleast that's what google told me.....

I hope I did this right, I was trying to quote you...
It was Crocker Sales, and we thought the same thing, and saw the same thing on their website, but it was a Crocker Sales booth at the home show, not a MS booth, and the owner Hal was there at the show (we were introduced to him but didn't speak with him).  The hot tub was sold under the name "Down East Spas", and if you go to thier web site and locate a dealer, Crocker is the only one that comes up. The "shoulder" jets on the particular model we liked are above the water line and shoot water down from above onto your shoulders, not neck jets at the side...he said they were the only brand that had those specific jets...I haven't seen them on others so I'm just asking if anyone else has jets like this....we really like them.  We did dry test them, and are going to wet test it and an artesian model tomorrow...I'm still going to call the show room and ask why MS/Down East isn't advertised on their website...
Thanks for your quick and honest replies!

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2008, 07:52:27 am »
First of all, he out and out lied to you.  He told you they were the only spa with shoulder jets.  Many brands have jets that will take care of your shoulders.  That would make me hesitate to deal with him.

I'd cancel the order now, then do your shopping.  Go to the local dealership that carries the spas.  Check them out and wet test the spa.  Then go see some other dealers and test their spas.

After you do all that, make the decision which spa is the best for you.  If it is Master, so be it.  But don't buy a spa on an impulse.  Bad decision.

Not neccesarily.  He made has said they were the only one with the "rotator cuff" jerts.  In my travels, MS is the only one wiht pulsating jets at the shoulder.  I never wet tested it, but they were the only ones with anything like it.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2008, 08:09:24 am »

I hope I did this right, I was trying to quote you...
It was Crocker Sales, and we thought the same thing, and saw the same thing on their website, but it was a Crocker Sales booth at the home show, not a MS booth, and the owner Hal was there at the show (we were introduced to him but didn't speak with him).  The hot tub was sold under the name "Down East Spas", and if you go to thier web site and locate a dealer, Crocker is the only one that comes up. The "shoulder" jets on the particular model we liked are above the water line and shoot water down from above onto your shoulders, not neck jets at the side...he said they were the only brand that had those specific jets...I haven't seen them on others so I'm just asking if anyone else has jets like this....we really like them.  We did dry test them, and are going to wet test it and an artesian model tomorrow...I'm still going to call the show room and ask why MS/Down East isn't advertised on their website...
Thanks for your quick and honest replies!

If Crocker Sales really is affiliated with the tub your interested in(no matter the brand), it looks like you'll be backed by a very reputable dealer. They've been in business for quite sometime now and have only had 4 claims against them in the past 36 months.

http://reports.bosbbb.org/Boston/Public/Reports/BrandedReport.aspx?firm=3228

It sounds like they're a fairly large company as well. Specializing in all sorts of things.

''They offer energy efficient windows and doors, build decks and sunrooms, install all types of porch enclosures and sell and install swimming pools, spas and supplies.''
« Last Edit: January 28, 2008, 08:28:20 am by WHY_NOT »

searchinginfl

• 07 Caldera Niagra
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2008, 09:12:24 am »
I have a Caldera. My neck jets are adjustable, and really shoot down onto the tops of my shoulders where they attach to my neck, but I can move them more towards my neck, or out more to my shoulders. They are above the water.
Ivie

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2008, 10:59:48 am »
It does seem that you'll have a local dealer at least and that’s helpful but I would definitely wet test that before the right to cancel date is up. Neck/shoulder jets are certainly not unique to them and you really want to make sure they work for you. There have been many people who can tell you that they were sure of the spa they wanted until they wet tested and found that what looked good dry was not for them. That’s not a knock on any spa in particular, it ahppens with all models, you just can't tell until you wet test them. With their legendary sales practices and the less than stellar reports I’ve seen from owners about energy consumption and quality I'm not a Master fan but start with the wet test.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2008, 02:20:19 pm by Spatech_tuo »
220, 221, whatever it takes!

coldinMA

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2008, 02:06:03 pm »
Here's an update. My husband called Crocker Sales to ask about Master Spas, Hal (the owner) said they do indeed carry and service Down East/MS, it's not on their website yet because they just started carrying them. He offered to honor our "show special" price for the next two weekends so we could get in there and wet test.  They also sell Artesian, Vita, and Reflections spas and he would have comparable models of each filled for us, and that he would match the discount to the other brands if we decided we didn't like the Master Spas, and if we didn't like any of them we could still walk away. This should also give us time to visit and test Caldera, LA Spas, and Arctic which are also in our area.

tanstaafl2

• Keeping a close eye on the new spa...
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2008, 05:49:41 pm »
Here's an update. My husband called Crocker Sales to ask about Master Spas, Hal (the owner) said they do indeed carry and service Down East/MS, it's not on their website yet because they just started carrying them. He offered to honor our "show special" price for the next two weekends so we could get in there and wet test.  They also sell Artesian, Vita, and Reflections spas and he would have comparable models of each filled for us, and that he would match the discount to the other brands if we decided we didn't like the Master Spas, and if we didn't like any of them we could still walk away. This should also give us time to visit and test Caldera, LA Spas, and Arctic which are also in our area.

Have never seen or tested a Master Spa and can make no comment on them personally. But this would appear to say a lot to me about the quality of the dealer (I live in Atlanta and know nothing about this dealer. I do have and like my Reflections spa though!) and if it were me, unless I found another tub I just can't live without, I would probably give thought to buying a tub from this guy, even if you end up with a different brand than the Masters Spa. Seems like he is doing business the right way.

I have liked what I have read and heard from others about Artesian but have never seen one myself and don't know if they have shoulder jets that would work for you. Reasonably familiar with Vita and Reflections and happy with my own spa. Mine has neck jets but no downward facing shoulder jets.

I can tell you that any jet that is above the water line tends to splash a lot at high pressure and at 5'12" the spas I did test with shoulder jets tended not to fit me well. So you definitely need to wet test.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2008, 05:50:31 pm by tanstaafl2 »
In hot water with my '06 Reflections Granada

H823Putt

• My backyard oassis
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2008, 05:54:11 pm »
Would'nt 5'12" be the same as 6' ::)  ;)

ndabunka

• 2003 Jacuzzi J370 Platinum/Coastal Grey Synthetic
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2008, 07:03:40 pm »
Down East is Master's "lower-end" of their products.  It compares to Tiger River or the 3-series Jacuzzi's (as far as features).  I personally did not like th e"Plasticly" look of the Down East product line a couple of years back compared to other available products but maybe they have gotten better since then.  As as lower-end line the price should be aggressive.  Lower-end does NOT mean lower quality.  Many lower end products are VERY good values.  But, it it was me I would call the dealer and thank him for his honoring the sale price.  I would also review both the Tiger River and Jacuzzi 3-series products to see how the Down East stacks up with those alternatives.  If you still like it and the price, it sounds like you have a solid dealer there and that is FAR more important than anything else in my opinion.
...The gene pool could use a little chlorine....

Quickly approaching a mid-life crisis one day at a time.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2008, 07:03:40 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42