What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Snow  (Read 2772 times)

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
Snow
« on: January 31, 2008, 10:36:03 pm »
It's been snowing here in the STL pretty much all day and isn't suppose to commence until tomarrow morning. I've already swept off 2'' of snow from my cover twice and there is already another 1'' on it. For a total of 5''. They said 5-8'' inches total but I think that's gonna be a rather modest estimate. At least this time around it has just been snow and no ice first, so removal has been fairly easy. Anyone else gettin hit right now?

On a side note, my neighbors always give me grief b/c I never shovel my driveway but always clear a path to my spa. :)
« Last Edit: January 31, 2008, 10:40:34 pm by WHY_NOT »

Hot Tub Forum

Snow
« on: January 31, 2008, 10:36:03 pm »

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
Re: Snow
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2008, 07:43:00 am »
The snow finally stopped. We got about 7 inches total in these parts. Pretty much every school and college is closed. We're very slow at work, so I had the day off any way.

There's a good 3 inches of snow on my cover right now. I was wanting to wait until the sun comes out before I start shoveling a path and clearing off the cover but I'm starting to think that since I don't have a http://rhtubs.com extreme cover, I need to get that weight off asap.

How much weight can a standard spa cover withstand?

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2008, 08:05:58 am »
Just a little ice here today.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

mattNY

• '91 HS Highlife
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2008, 11:35:21 am »
We got about 7 inches total in these parts. Pretty much every school and college is closed.

Lol - I'm sorry, that just struck me as really funny.  I'm sure the other northerners feel the same, my sister's house got 7 feet in a weekend last year, that was finally enough that things started closing down.  To answer your snow load question, I've had over a foot on mine, no problem.

Only about an inch here today though, with some freezing rain mixed in.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2008, 11:37:16 am by mattNY »

Cyn

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2008, 11:58:32 am »

Lol - I'm sorry, that just struck me as really funny.  I'm sure the other northerners feel the same, my sister's house got 7 feet in a weekend last year, that was finally enough that things started closing down.  To answer your snow load question, I've had over a foot on mine, no problem.

REALLY?  I have lived in a lot of different climates in this country, but I live near Chad these days, and I have to say there are very few places that could get 7 feet of snow, or anywhere near that amount, and not have to close schools down.  Just pushing that amount of snow with a plow to a spot where it wouldn't block most of a road/highway would be near to impossible.  And, yes, St. Louis shuts down quicker than most places due to our lack of knowledgable snow drivers.  They drive like idiots and end up in a ditch with several cars piled up around them and then no one is going anywhere.  And we have a bussing system...if the bus can't get the kids to school by the time it is supposed to start, then they close schools.  Where you live are the parents responsible for getting the kids to school????  We live in just a congested enough area where you can't get to your destination in a reasonable amount of time.  You must live where the roads don't have hundreds to thousands of people trying to climb that icy highway at one time.  We still get mail.  The banks still give out money.  The hospitals still take in the sick...our schools just close, that's all  ;D

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2008, 12:52:55 pm »
When I was flying back home to Upstate NY last fall I was reading the in-flight magazine that stated that Syracuse was the #1 metro US city for snowfall due to the lake effect snow (Buffalonians may be surprised and I’m sure some mountain towns get more way up in the Rockies). My father always had a plow on this truck in winters so we never had an issue and my brother has huge contracts for plowing to this day so we've always been used to it. I just looked on-line to see if I could find info on who gets what and found a few articles one of which was similar to what I read.
http://www.syracuse.com/weather/snow/stories/

The fourth sentence sums it up. They know how to deal with the snow.

I have family in Georgia, Virginia and Seattle and every year they get a dusting and everything shuts down because they're not prepared but why should they be? If you were running those cities would you put the expense into dealing with the crippling ONE snowfall of a few inches you might get every year? Of course not which is why they'll be so much more effected by a snowy day than a city that expects these snowfalls like its just another day. Should St Louis have the resources to deal with snow the way Denver or Chicago have to?

This map is kind of nice as it visually shows the degree of snow throughout the US.
http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/national_atlas_1970/ca000076.jpg
« Last Edit: February 01, 2008, 12:55:04 pm by Spatech_tuo »
220, 221, whatever it takes!

mattNY

• '91 HS Highlife
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2008, 01:09:24 pm »
I just looked on-line to see if I could find info on who gets what and found a few articles one of which was similar to what I read.
http://www.syracuse.com/weather/snow/stories/

Yeah, I grew up north of Syracuse in the Tug Hill Plateau area, which is mentioned in your link down at the bottom.  Snowiest place east of the Rockies, over 400 inches a year of snowfall in some areas.

This is my sister's area last year (article with video): http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17063535/  I'll quote one section: "Residents of the nearby town of Mexico see 5- to 6-foot snowfalls every two or three years, but this time even hardened locals are amazed. The only sign of parked SUVs are their radio antennas or roof racks sticking up above the snow. Front doors are buried and footprints lead to second-story windows. Sidewalks that have been dug out look like miniature canyons."

20 minutes south, downtown Syracuse gets about half the snow since it's just on the edge of the jetstream from Lake Ontario.  I moved to Rochester after college, and as "bad" as it is here, I get so much less snow than my folks.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2008, 01:12:52 pm »

20 minutes south, downtown Syracuse gets about half the snow since it's just on the edge of the jetstream from Lake Ontario.  I moved to Rochester after college, and as "bad" as it is here, I get so much less snow than my folks.

... but I went to school in Rochester and I'll never forget the biting wind off the lake there!!!! It just seems so much worse due to that wind and I'll take less wind and more snow!!!
220, 221, whatever it takes!

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2008, 09:23:03 pm »
The snow finally stopped. We got about 7 inches total in these parts. Pretty much every school and college is closed. We're very slow at work, so I had the day off any way.

There's a good 3 inches of snow on my cover right now. I was wanting to wait until the sun comes out before I start shoveling a path and clearing off the cover but I'm starting to think that since I don't have a http://rhtubs.com extreme cover, I need to get that weight off asap.

How much weight can a standard spa cover withstand?

I've had well over a foot of snow on my cover a number of times with no issue.  I believe I have the same cover as you...except mine is going on six years. ;)

I have a tarp I cover the whole spa with when expecting heavy snow just because its easier to shovel off.

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2008, 09:38:53 pm »

I've had well over a foot of snow on my cover a number of times with no issue.  I believe I have the same cover as you...except mine is going on six years. ;)

I have a tarp I cover the whole spa with when expecting heavy snow just because its easier to shovel off.
Thanks Tony

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2008, 10:20:21 pm »
Thanks Tony

Of course the spa gets shoveled out and cleaned before anything else.  Priorities, you know!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2008, 10:20:21 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42