What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Begining the process - What are the costs?  (Read 4873 times)

Tailhooker

Begining the process - What are the costs?
« on: January 26, 2008, 12:37:30 pm »
I am really early in the game.  I really want to get a new spa for my new home but the home is not setup for a spa in the back yet.

1.  How much does it cost to get the house wired for 220V roughly (~$450)?  The circuit breaker box is outside close to where the spa is going to be hooked up.

2.  I have read all about the forum on 50 amp or 60 ampfor running pump and heat.  Should the house be set up for 60Hz if I am starting from scratch?

3.  I have a little slab in my backyard and I am in need to add a new bigger slab addition to the one I already have.  How much does it cost for the average 8'x8' or 9'x9' re-enforced slab and what options are out there to add a new slab in the back.  

4.  Ideally looking at the Sundance Cameo (about $8995 - likely '07 too early to ask about extras , but there is only one dealer in town (Corpus Christi, TX) hope they do wet-testing or I might have to try a bigger city.

Any hope would be appreciated...Thanks
« Last Edit: January 26, 2008, 11:17:40 pm by Tailhooker »

Hot Tub Forum

Begining the process - What are the costs?
« on: January 26, 2008, 12:37:30 pm »

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
Re: Begining the process - What are the costs?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2008, 01:34:18 pm »
I am in California here for example if your electrical run is say 40 ft as a example your run by a licensed electrician would be $450.00 including all parts, breakers, etc. If you just want a 10x10 slab than Depending on who you use you are looking at $600.00 to a $900.00 on average. If you are a DIY you could do a nice brick/stone pad layed over construction sand for less and have a nice look as another option.

loosenupspas

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2008, 01:59:01 pm »
US voltage is 60 hz.  In Florida a standard electrical quote is $310, breaker etc and $7.00 per foot for the 4 wire through crawl space, up to $11.00 is trenching is involved.  Amperage typically is 50

searchinginfl

• 07 Caldera Niagra
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2008, 02:23:11 pm »
Wow, I got 3 quotes for electrical, all about $750-900, and my box was included with the spa! I did have to run the line from front to back of house though.
Ivie

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2008, 02:26:03 pm »
Loose alluded to this - the HZ here in the US is 60. But the Amperage is what I think you were asking about -

50 amp will run most 220 volt tubs, some require 60 amps. The wire size is not much different, fortunately, however you should trust your local electrician to choose the wire size according to the length of the run and the amperage of the tub you choose.

There should be a shut-off near the tub - HotSpring includes a sub-panel with each 220v spa which does this job and more. other makers of tubs do not, but I would wait until you choose the tub to have this device installed, just in case.

HTH 8-)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2008, 02:34:14 pm »
Wow, I got 3 quotes for electrical, all about $750-900, and my box was included with the spa! I did have to run the line from front to back of house though.

The length of your run will determine the cost.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2008, 02:53:13 pm »
Electrical costs vary depending on your location and what you need. If you need an upgrade to 200 amp service then that is an additional $1500 to $2000 extra. Running the circuit  can be $450 but as you see people got quotes of $750 to $900.  If the breaker box is too close, the local codes may not allow a tub there.

What Chas said about Hz and Amperage. If you do buy a Sundance they can run on either. The only difference seems to be most 220 volt tubs running on 50 amps shuts the heater off when all the pumps are on. Shut offs are about $100.

Concrete can be somewhat expensive IMO. If you have the ability to do it yourself you wil may be able to get by cheaply. Also, a lot of concrete people (actually a lot of contractors) don't want to do small jobs.

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2008, 03:31:53 pm »
Electrical costs vary depending on your location and what you need. If you need an upgrade to 200 amp service then that is an additional $1500 to $2000 extra. Running the circuit  can be $450 but as you see people got quotes of $750 to $900.  If the breaker box is too close, the local codes may not allow a tub there.

Concrete can be somewhat expensive IMO. If you have the ability to do it yourself you wil may be able to get by cheaply. Also, a lot of concrete people (actually a lot of contractors) don't want to do small jobs.

Vinny,

You are correct about the length of the run now a 40 ft run is a non issue as far being to close. If you do need to upgrade your whole panel it is something most would already know about and probably have considered with or without a adding a spa. But I would disagree about most costing between to 700-900 dollars those numbers reflect runs that are closer to 60 to 70 ft. It is all going to come down how long a run in the end.

You are sure right about small jobs a 10x10 pad is something most have no real interest in doing.

d8

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2008, 04:18:49 pm »
3.  I have a little slab in my backyard and I am in need to add a new bigger slab addition to the one I already have.  How much does it cost for the average 8'x8' or 9'x9' re-enforced slab and what options are out there to add a new slab in the back.  

I'm of the opinion that a slab is not the best surface on which to set a spa. A lot of our customers use 3/4 crushed gravel in a 4x4 frame. The gravel allows for drainage so the spa owner has less chance of mold forming underneath the spa, and in cold climates, avoids ice forming around the spa.

Also, the gravel pad set up is less expensive than concrete, and is very simple to DIY.
Catnip King of Montana. (and independant tech)

Tailhooker

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2008, 12:08:07 pm »
Are there any good sites or recommendations for plans on preparing the ground for a spa?

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2008, 12:55:00 pm »
Go to your Hot Spring dealer and get the Hot Spring Spas Custom Installation Guide.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

d8

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2008, 02:48:18 pm »
Are there any good sites or recommendations for plans on preparing the ground for a spa?

This thread is what prompted me to start the "What's the best surface" thread. Have a look at that, see if anything there helps you.
Catnip King of Montana. (and independant tech)

Vanguard

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2008, 11:23:20 pm »
Tailhooker, Check your messages.  I sent you a PM.
The stars at night are big and bright, deep in the heart of Texas and my Vanguard!!!

Tailhooker

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2008, 12:11:02 pm »
Got the pm thanks... haven't looked in to the different spa repair capabilities in the south Texas region.  Guess too many people think that its not worth having a spa in the warmer area of the country, not a large selection here.

Vanguard

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2008, 12:20:23 am »
I had recommended that Tailhooker go see the Caldera dealer in San Antonio - Sweetwater Spa Store.  Told him the guy was a great dealer and had great service.

I ran into that dealer out here at the Atlantic City show today.  Seems I'm not the only one who thinks he's a good dealer.   Sweetwater was awarded Caldera's International Dealer of the Year Award yesterday at their annual dealer meeting.  

Pretty cool that both of Watkins' Dealer of the Year came from the Great State of Texas.
The stars at night are big and bright, deep in the heart of Texas and my Vanguard!!!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2008, 12:20:23 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42