What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Could be a snowy soak  (Read 2943 times)

sonofsail

• Hi Y'all
Could be a snowy soak
« on: January 19, 2008, 01:07:22 am »
Dixie (Alabama) is supposed to get some snow tonight and tomorrow.  Could be our first (rare) chance for a snowy soak.  When it snows down here, everything shuts down.  No one can drive in the stuff and we don't have salt/sand trucks or removal ability.  It will probably melt quickly anyway.  I just want to sit in the tub and watch it snow.   ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)
"Growing older but not up..."

Hot Tub Forum

Could be a snowy soak
« on: January 19, 2008, 01:07:22 am »

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
Re: Could be a snowy soak
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2008, 06:37:01 am »
Yeah, that artic blast is dippin way down there. I'm in a town just west and slightly north of St. Louis and we're currently at 7 with a windchill of -8. I have aproximately 10 seconds when exiting the spa before I'm shaking.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2008, 06:38:41 am by WHY_NOT »

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2008, 07:49:46 am »
We had a nice soak at 25f last night, supposed to be near 0 tonight.   I'll be skiing tomorrow, hopefully it will get up to 10.  The tub will be at 104 this weekend.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

sonofsail

• Hi Y'all
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2008, 02:22:41 pm »
Well we did get a little of the white stuff.  Maybe 1/2 inch but it is melting fast.  I did get a nice soak in while it was falling.  Very nice.  Something I will certainly remember.  The wife took one look outside at me in the tub and went back in next to the fire.   She doesn't know what she missed.  
"Growing older but not up..."

orbitaljoe

• 2007 J480...        It's a Jiquewzy, Hon
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2008, 08:43:00 am »
We were out there last night @ about 23 degrees...
Had some "internal anti-freeze" workin' too
If it's down around zero tonight...Don't think Mama will be venturing out there
Ain't the beer cold!

Cyn

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2008, 10:28:00 am »
I have to ask...here in St. Louis we have had single digets a couple of nights in a row and yesterday the high was 18 degrees.  It was windy so I had no desire to soak, but since it had been a couple of days of no soaking I opened the spa to add dichlor.  The skirt on the cover was as stiff as a board and not with ice, just cold.  I had a heck of a time getting the latches open.  After running the spa to mix in the dichlor, I closed the cover after about 30 minutes of having it open (ice everywhere and the cover was cracking like crazy) and I couldn't get one of the latches to close 'cause everything was so stiff.  HOW do the winter soakers in areas where you don't see a thaw very often, and the temps are in the teens or below most of the time, manage?  Do you ignore the brittle feeling of everything and hope nothing cracks??  You certainly can't maintain your filters for a few months.  Adding water to the tub must be a real ordeal.  I love to soak in the cold (with minimum wind, thank you), but I am not sure I would want to maintain a winter tub where winter is so harsh.  Would love to hear from real tub lovers in the northern regions!!

Spiderman

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2008, 11:07:11 am »
I think it was around -5F actual with about -23F windchill when we went in the tub last night here in upper Michigan.  Whenever it gets this cold it always amazes me how hot you really are while in the hot tub even though the temps are fatally cold.  It was a great soak last night.  The only problem we've had the past few days is the "clean" button is froze so I have to go back out after about ten minutes to turn off the jets.  Other than that, no problems.  I may have to install an IQ 2020 remote control to eliminate that problem.

As far as the cover and other stuff being stiff, I'm just careful so nothing snaps off in this really cold weather.  I have Tri-X filters so I can go for months without cleaning them, and when I do have to clean them, I just throw them in the dishwasher, so no problem there.  Adding water can be tricky.  If I can't get the hose out, I'll use a 5 gallon bucket and make a few trips back and forth from the bath tub to the hot tub.

We manage in the cold, but I always ask myself, "Why in the world do we live here?"  ;D
People suffer one of two pains in life:  the pain of discipline, or the pain of regret

Cyn

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2008, 12:06:26 pm »
LOL  ;D ;D  Do you live in the upper pennisula??  I have been there skiing and I have never been so cold in my life!!  Wind chills on the mountain were -50 degrees!!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2008, 12:06:26 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42