What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Dang ... No Soaking tonight!  (Read 3132 times)

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
Dang ... No Soaking tonight!
« on: January 18, 2008, 08:23:37 pm »
I just went out to my tub to check it out, add a little chlorine for later  and it was YUCKY!! (YUCKY=scientific term)

Water was cloudy and smelly. Last week I opened it to the same, I added over 10 PPM chlorine and let it run for at least 40 minutes. I closed the cover and figured it will be fine, I planned on going out there during the week and add some more chlorine and didn't - it's worse now.

I threw in some (5 teaspoons) chlorine and I'll measure it after 1 cycle. I guess I'll add some clarifier if the chlorine is still there. I was soooo looking forward to soaking too!

Hot Tub Forum

Dang ... No Soaking tonight!
« on: January 18, 2008, 08:23:37 pm »

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
Re: Dang ... No Soaking tonight!
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2008, 10:28:54 am »
Just goes to show even the experts have to deal with cloudy water at some point ;)
Support your dealer so they can support you!

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2008, 12:36:03 pm »
Yup!!!

It's so bad I'm going through these doses quickly. I added some more after the 5 and this morning it was down to 1 PPM chlorine; so I hit it with another 5 teaspoons.  At this rate I'll need to order another 5 lbs of chlorine from Doc real soon! And the PH which was in range is low now due to the chlorine and MPS (I figured going through this much chlorine my CC must be high) so I had to adjust this as well.

We all can screw up at times! I'd like to say I was doing an experiment to hide my screw up - but I'll be honest! ;D
« Last Edit: January 19, 2008, 12:36:31 pm by Vinny »

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2008, 02:13:14 pm »
Hey this is getting exciting and turning into a science experiment!!!

Whatever is in my tub LOVES chlorine and is eating up quickly!  I just threw in 13 tespoons which is approx 19 PPM chlorine. I wanted to see when it would be killed but it seems to be somewhat thriving - I can't lose this fight so I semi nuked the tub!

We'll see what happens.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2008, 05:34:07 pm »
I thought you were going to say its too cold.  I may set a new record for coldest soak . My record so far is 4F.  
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2008, 05:45:10 pm »
Vinny, check in the filter compartment, I had a dead squirrel in my pool once.. :o.who knows! ;D

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2008, 06:09:38 pm »
EWW!!!! I did quickly look before your suggestion and didn't see anything in particular - I was looking to see how dirty my filter was and it wasn't.

I went out there after putting in that 19 PPM chlorine and added about 12 more PPM as it was reading under 3 PPM. All total so far I am up to about 40 PPM chlorine and the tub still isn't clear. I should have double checked last week to make sure the chlorine I put in was enough and did the job. So now I am fighting bacteriazilla. I keep running the pumps with the higher chlorine concentration to scour the pipes and hopefully if a biofilm started I am killing it. I do see a patch of something in the tub and once the tub clears - I'll take a closer look, assuming it remains.

This actually came at a good time for newbies to learn if any are reading this - I haven't used "a capful" or 3 tablespoons - we're talking a total of 40 PPM.  :o  This is equivilent of almost nuking the tub to 50 PPM with chlorine which BTW I am thinking about if this batch goes to 3 PPM quickly.

I was joking before but I now do need to order chlorine from Doc! :-?

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2008, 06:11:52 pm »
I thought you were going to say its too cold.  I may set a new record for coldest soak . My record so far is 4F.  

The coldest I've been out there is teens.  Jersey really hasn't had too many cold days. I refuse to go into the tub when it's windy - did it once and it wasn't pleasant.

Still waiting for a snow soak as well.

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2008, 09:15:09 pm »
When we first got our tub it dipped to about 6 degrees. Being new to tubbing, we thought we were pretty brave but now the colder, the better.

Seriously, Vinny, could someone have brought something on their feet into the tub? My husband goes nuts if anyone walks barefoot to the tub across the deck. I put indoor outdoor carpet to keep the deck from getting slipery, but I think it really helps to harbor more critters.

I have different problem!! I invited my friend over tonight cause most of my guys are away and i thought we could have a girls night in the tub.  When I washed my filters, I usually finish them by rinsing and then soaking overnight in a container of bromine water.  It seems to keep them from getting a musty smell because they take so long to dry. Well I must have overdosed on the bromine because my son put the clean, dry filters in yesterday and today my bromine is off the charts!! So send me your filters, I'll fix your tub, Vinny!! ;D ;D

Doobiewah

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2008, 09:52:05 pm »

We did a minus 2 the other night....it was great while we were in; however, I must admit that's the fastest we've toweled off and gone into the house after a soak! :o

The Doob

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2008, 09:52:05 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42