What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Ozonator question  (Read 4779 times)

riddler

Ozonator question
« on: January 10, 2008, 05:07:59 pm »
I have a Caldera Martinique that is about 3 years old. The question I have is pertaining to my Ozonator. I have been noticing that every now and then I cannot see any tiny bubbles spurting out of the ozonator. I have plenty of water pressure coming out , but sometimes I get no fizz. I know that it should look like a newly opened can of coke with the bubbles , but im not sure what would cause the ozonator to have a steady srteam of power with no bubbles at all.  It is still under warrenty , should I consider a service call ?  Any help would be greatly appreciated !

Hot Tub Forum

Ozonator question
« on: January 10, 2008, 05:07:59 pm »

Lars

Re: Ozonator question
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2008, 05:19:23 pm »
Can't bubble if it can't suck air.

Check that it isn't plugged somewhere.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2008, 05:22:17 pm »
Could be a bad check valve, could be a clogged injector, could be a drop in pressure, ...
220, 221, whatever it takes!

riddler

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2008, 05:23:33 pm »
Could be a blockage in the line. Im not sure yet . I havent opened the cabinet yet to look. I am just waiting to get some responses as to what could be wrong.

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2008, 05:28:44 pm »
It is not a warranty situation.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

BauerN

• "...to feel is to believe."
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2008, 05:40:06 pm »
Caldera won't cover the ozone system?
Bullfrog Spas Dealer.  Raising the bar for customer service.

clover

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2008, 05:47:43 pm »
Your filter is dirty, take your filter out and see IF there is a difference.  A dirty filter will reduce the ability of the pump to suck water, reduce the flow of GPM and you can terminate the ability to draw air to produce bubbles.
Trying to be the unbaised voice of reason.

riddler

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2008, 05:48:42 pm »
I just got done checking the lines behind the panel. I did not see anything wrong with the lines. I did notice a thick solution in the bottom of the line. It resembled a mapel syrup consistency.  I noticed it in two spots. I settled in the bottom of the loops. Also the ozonator has a humming noise that I am not used to hearing.

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2008, 06:15:03 pm »
Caldera won't cover the ozone system?

Ozone system has 1 year warranty.  Clogged injector is not covered.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2008, 06:19:32 pm »
I just got done checking the lines behind the panel. I did not see anything wrong with the lines. I did notice a thick solution in the bottom of the line. It resembled a mapel syrup consistency.  I noticed it in two spots. I settled in the bottom of the loops. Also the ozonator has a humming noise that I am not used to hearing.

First make sure your filter is clean as was suggested. That can cause the problem.

The humming noise is normal, it just means it has power and now you hear it with the panel off.

I wouldn't expect you to just see the problem by opening the cabinet. The line coming out of the ozonator goes to an injector (a "T"). In between the T and the ozonator there is a check valve. I would suspect that is the culprit. If you remove the line at that T and the bubbles resume you probably just need to replace that check valve.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2008, 06:20:47 pm by Spatech_tuo »
220, 221, whatever it takes!

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2008, 06:25:24 pm »

The humming is normal.

To clean the lines and injector:

1.  disconnect power
2.  unplug ozone from control box.
3.  Place 16 oz. white vinegar in a container.  Place container on equipment floor.
4.  Loosen ozone tubing from the bottomof ozoe.  [glow]Do not come into contact with the liquid.  It can cause severe chemical burns.  Wear protective gloves.[/glow]
5.  Place the end of the tubing into the container.
6.  Reconnect poser.
7.  Run spa until all 16 oz. of vinegar are gone.
8.  Disconnect power.
9.  Remove container.
10.  Reinstall tubing.
11. Plug in ozone to control box.
12.  Close equipment door.
13.  Reconnect power.

Let us know how it is going.

riddler

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2008, 06:41:11 pm »
Hottubdan you were right . I took the line off and first I tried to run water through it and it did not work. Then I carefully blew my hot air through the line,[ of course being careful not to touch acid on my lips ! ] and it must have been enough to clear out the blockage.  I took the advice from a senior hot tub man and now its blowing fizz and bubbles like new. Thanks for the help !  I did not realize that over time the lines tend to clog with the acid from the ozonater. I guess we do learn something new everyday !

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2008, 06:47:23 pm »
Hottubdan you were right . I took the line off and first I tried to run water through it and it did not work. Then I carefully blew my hot air through the line,[ of course being careful not to touch acid on my lips ! ] and it must have been enough to clear out the blockage.  I took the advice from a senior hot tub man and now its blowing fizz and bubbles like new. Thanks for the help !  I did not realize that over time the lines tend to clog with the acid from the ozonater. I guess we do learn something new everyday !
:) ;) :D ;D
 ::) ;D :D ;) :)

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2008, 06:47:23 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42