What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Newbie Question #2  (Read 12451 times)

thatbpguy

Newbie Question #2
« on: January 04, 2008, 09:47:04 pm »
OK, thus far we have negotiated 3 potential deals on our entry level spa. One of them (the last I will mention) is particularly interesting and I'd like opinions.

The first 'deal' is a South Pacific (70"X60"X29") for $2,900 to include delivery & set-up. The upside is the price and size. The down side is that if there are more than 2 people in this 4 person spa it gets very chumy and not a lot of foot room.

The second 'deal', so far, is a new Hot Spring Solana model RX for $3,400 including delivery & set-up. The upside is the brand name.

Now here's an unusual deal. We were at a dealer that both sells Bullfrog spas, builds new spas & reconditions used ones for resale. He's been in business for about 6 years and has a nice shop. He offers to build me a new spa using all new equipment, a new Nordic 7' round shell and place 14 jets in it. The pump is as I recall made by Aqua Flow. Total price inclusing delivery & set-up is $2,900. The upside is that it's a perfect sized tub with lots of foot room and fits 4-6 people (4 easily) and cheap. The down side is that this guy could be out of business in a year and my 3 year warranty is down the tubes.

PLEASE, any comments.

Hot Tub Forum

Newbie Question #2
« on: January 04, 2008, 09:47:04 pm »

IL Parrothead

• Owner of 2008 Marquis Epic #2
Re: Newbie Question #2
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2008, 09:49:49 pm »
I would go with the Solana...Watkins makes good, solid tubs.
Mike

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2008, 10:00:36 pm »
I would not say that south pacific is any real deal.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2008, 10:03:55 pm »
I'd go with the Solana.

Sometimes even the pros who design tubs miss the mark in the design.

If price is that much of a concern ($500 difference) you really shouldn't be buying a spa.

Pathfinder

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2008, 10:53:44 pm »
Would the water even be over your chest in a 29" tub.  Go with  whatever your going to be comfortable in.  

Zep

• Cal Spas SQ92 Dallas-Texas
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2008, 12:20:51 am »
"Go with  whatever your going to be comfortable in"

in other words.....WET TEST!

Scaramanga

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2008, 12:52:49 am »
Curtain #2.  No contest.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2008, 09:59:49 am »
We give advice on this board NOT to buy tubs from Costco, HD and the like and I don't understand the "wet test" logic on 2 tubs that I believe aren't mainstream tubs.

I may be wrong but is South Pacific a "brand name" tub - does it have good customer service, parts are available and he won't be holding a piece of junk in 2 years? The sames hold true for a modified Nordic; I will say I doubt this will be true with the Solana.

IF and that's a BIG IF (as I don't know) the modified Nordic and South Pacific are worth while - please let me and him know why. If not, then why give the advice to not buy a Costco tub and get the same garbage (if they indeed are).

Maybe I'm being stupid here but I may be missing something in the advice that's offered.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2008, 10:48:06 am by Vinny »

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2008, 10:18:46 am »
I vote for the HotSpring, also.  This is really a no brainer.

thatbpguy

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2008, 11:31:04 am »
Ya know, I really appreciate the input.

My wife & I live on a small income (and always will) and having a spa was one of those things we could never afford. Now, with this small $3,000 check we can finally do this. Two weeks ago I knew nothing about spas. The internet research was greatly misleading and I had to come here to learn a few things that opened my eyes. I feel I've been saved from making at least a few big mistakes.

Vanguard

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2008, 11:52:12 am »
Based on some of the information you have given about yourself, I'd go with the one spa you have mentioned that has an unbeatable reputation for quality and customer service.  The other spas you mentioned are going to be questionable.

Since you are using very hard earned money to buy this spa, go with the best possible spa you can.  You don't want to have to spend a lot of money down the road fixing a spa that starts to give you problems.

I'll be the first to admit, the RX is not the most therapeutic spa out there, but it sounds like you are more interested in soaking in the hot water than receiving therapy from the jets.  The RX will fit that need perfectly.
The stars at night are big and bright, deep in the heart of Texas and my Vanguard!!!

Zep

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2008, 12:28:31 pm »
"I don't understand the "wet test" logic on 2 tubs that I believe aren't mainstream tubs"

I don't understand the criticism of wet testing ANY tub regardless of maker before buying.

Seems like a no-brainer.

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2008, 12:33:07 pm »
"I don't understand the "wet test" logic on 2 tubs that I believe aren't mainstream tubs"

I don't understand the criticism of wet testing ANY tub regardless of maker before buying.

Seems like a no-brainer.

If brand has reputation of high cost of operation, poor customer service, unreliabilty or other negatives, it might not manner how good it feels at wet test.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2008, 12:48:27 pm »
Ya know, I really appreciate the input.

My wife & I live on a small income (and always will) and having a spa was one of those things we could never afford. Now, with this small $3,000 check we can finally do this. Two weeks ago I knew nothing about spas. The internet research was greatly misleading and I had to come here to learn a few things that opened my eyes. I feel I've been saved from making at least a few big mistakes.

I'm going to sound like Suze Orman here but ... If you live on a small income I don't think a spa is the correct thing to buy. $3000 is better put into the bank or invested in case something more important is needed (roof, refrig and essentials to life) vs a luxury item. Regardless of what anybody says this item can and will put a little more financial burden on your monthly income.

Personally, I wanted a tub for 10 + years. I couldn't afford one and during most of those 10 + years we lived in a townhouse developement where I couldn't put one out anyway. We decided to have children, have my wife stay home and we cut our salary in half - we couldn't afford $h*t. After about 5 years my wife started working and we were able to move into a house and still not able to afford luxuries but we were in a house with a backyard for the kids.

The ONLY way I was able to afford a tub was by my mom dying and leaving me an inheritance which was a heck of a lot more than the tub. I'd give it all up to have my parents back!!!

My suggestion is don't buy any tub, save your money and keep it safe for a more serious reason. If for any reason after you buy the tub you need the money you won't have it and will be put into a larger financial burden. Really think about it before buying this tub!

Sorry to rain on your parade but I am giving you an honest answer in this situation.

Zep

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2008, 01:18:52 pm »
"If you live on a small income I don't think a spa is the correct thing to buy. $3000 is better put into the bank"

I do not have the knowledge Vinny has about Hot Tubs, but I respectfully totally disagree.

If you are a "smart shopper" you can find a very nice $3000 hot tub on CraigsList from one of the top makers in the industry. As long as you are not in a hurry you can find someone that needs to get rid of their nice working near mint condition tub. Yeah you wont get a warranty, but if it's from a top quality maker you probably will get years of enjoyment of out it. Plus...so what if something goes wrong a year or two down the road......and you have to spend a few dollars fixing something....heck dont we do that with used cars....and just about everything else we buy?

Be patient and watch your local CraigsList.....you'll find something every nice for $3000.

Don't give up on tubbing!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2008, 01:18:52 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42