What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: steam escaping from tub  (Read 13710 times)

lagator43

• My wings are a shield of steel.
steam escaping from tub
« on: December 22, 2007, 06:59:31 pm »
http://[IMG]http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q10/lagator43/PC080178.jpg[/IMG]

My son just noticed the steam escaping from our tub the other day.  How much $$$ money is this problem costing me. Keep in mind that I live in Edmonton Alberta and we have had a cold winter so far. Help :-[

Hot Tub Forum

steam escaping from tub
« on: December 22, 2007, 06:59:31 pm »

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
Re: steam escaping from tub
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2007, 07:27:56 pm »
You have some degree of heat loss, but I don't think it's horribly dire, or anything.   
 Only way to know for sure it to monitor your electrical consumption.  
 You might try and block those areas that are "steaming" with something.  Might save a little on your electric.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2007, 07:28:41 pm by Brewman »
Brewman

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2007, 08:07:07 pm »
I've had steam escape from the tub. Do you turn off the air injection to the tub?

Also, you can try a spa blanket and see if that helps. I have one on mine and it does seem to help insulate the water a little bit better.

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2007, 09:29:54 pm »

My son just noticed the steam escaping from our tub the other day.  How much $$$ money is this problem costing me. Keep in mind that I live in Edmonton Alberta and we have had a cold winter so far. Help :-[

Assuming the escaping steam isn't due to air injectors being open......... What might it cost you if the windows and doors on your house had cracks around them and heat escaped through there?
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Gomboman

• My Pride and Joy
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2007, 03:51:59 am »
Lag, is that a HS cover?
2005 Hot Spring Envoy still going strong. Million-Mile Club....

I want to get in the spa business so I can surf the internet and use Photoshop all day long.

lagator43

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2007, 11:46:17 am »
No, it is a Arctic Spa.  How much overhang should there be between the edge of the cover and the spa itself?  I think my cover is too big. :-/

clover

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2007, 11:54:54 am »
As previously indicated, steam is the result of warm humid air being introduced into the water while the cover is on.  As the air is introduced, the pressure increases and pushes at the seams and the path of least resistance which is where you see evidence of steam or icicles.  Ozone injectors are constantly introducing air/ozone, but it is a relatively small amount.  While this is one source, lave your air venturri's to pump 1 open and when it is filtering it is constantly introducing air that will cause the warm, heatedwhen exiting the spa, warm, humid air escapes causing condensation and ice build up.  This is a very good indicator of heat loss that can be controlled and eliminated.  Simply be sure to close your air venturri's.

Without the introduction of air, there is nothing that will "push" warm, humid air out at the seams of the cover.

A good cover will meet the acrylic and form a seal.  The skirt of the cover is intended to form a vacuum seal around the perimeter of the cover reducing or restricting the ability for air to excape.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2007, 11:57:03 am by clover »
Trying to be the unbaised voice of reason.

lagator43

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2007, 02:57:47 pm »
My air is closed.  Could the cover be to blame??

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2007, 09:08:52 pm »
The skirt of the cover is intended to form a vacuum seal around the perimeter of the cover reducing or restricting the ability for air to excape.

?????Where does the suction come from to create this vacuum???? No suction, no vacuum  ;D Steam naturally rises (unless you can create an "inversion layer" under the cover :P) and any gaps or openings in the cover it will escape out of.

Actually, the only intention of the skirt is to protect the edge of the spa from direct sunlight (damaging to most spa finishes)  ;) The skirt adds virtually nothing to the insulating qualities of the cover, other than it may miniscually help cut down on air infiltration.

lag, try pushing the two halves of the cover slightly together. Normally, over time, the vinyl of the cover shrinks slightly, and in time the problem may take care of itself.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Shaamus

• America's SPA-MART
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2007, 10:57:23 pm »
Doc's right.  That "vacuum" you feel while removing the cover is only a water bond from the inside of the vinyl skirt being wet and grabbing onto the shell.  No insulation / no vacuum whatsoever.

Markus

• HS Vanguard 2005
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2007, 07:41:17 am »
I always thought that steam coming from that area was perfectly normal. My Vanguard original cover does the same thing although if you push the cover halves together it helps minimize the amount of steam.

AstaLaVista

• 07 Hot Springs Vista
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2007, 07:43:44 am »
I would imagine I must get a little steam escaping too...although I have not seen anything visible.. there is sometimes an icicle on my skirt in that same area.

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2007, 10:02:42 am »
I would imagine I must get a little steam escaping too...although I have not seen anything visible.. there is sometimes an icicle on my skirt in that same area.

I also get the little icicle there at times, but never steam as in the photo.  The seal between the two halves of my cover looks like a different style.

clover

« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2007, 10:30:46 am »
?????Where does the suction come from to create this vacuum???? No suction, no vacuum  ....Actually, the only intention of the skirt is to protect the edge of the spa from direct sunlight (damaging to most spa finishes)  ;) The skirt adds virtually nothing to the insulating qualities of the cover, other than it may miniscually help cut down on air infiltration.
Try lifting the cover without creating a vacuum.  If the skirt is continuous, it will draw tight to the shell when lifting.  The air draw is the cover "sucking air" in as it is lifted.    This minimizes the movement or loss of air while the cover is in place and passing wind is not pulling or drawing air from under the cover.  If the corners are split, the vacuum is less effective.  With a continuous skirt, they at times bunch up in the corners and need to be straightened out, where split corner skirting "flaps" allowing the skirt to not bunch up at the corners.  

I am of the opinion that the cover skirting has a more meaningful purpose than just to shade the sun light.  If I had a cover without the skirting, the wind would be getting uner it and picking it up all the time.

clover

« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2007, 11:21:41 am »
Doc's right.  That "vacuum" you feel while removing the cover is only a water bond from the inside of the vinyl skirt being wet and grabbing onto the shell.  No insulation / no vacuum whatsoever.
The vacuum you feel is the suction of air as the cover is lifted up.  The wet edges enhance the seal as it is lifted, but it is all about the air that draws the vacuum.  I do not believe your statement "no insulation, no vacuum whatsoever," is accurate.  But then, many covers are made differently, and they vary by manufacturer.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2007, 11:21:41 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42