What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: hot tub folliculitis  (Read 14686 times)

grizz

hot tub folliculitis
« on: January 01, 2008, 02:12:41 pm »
Well I don't know where I've gone wrong. My water was 12 weeks old but crystal
clear and test strips showing all ok, then I started to itch - doctor says
its HOT TUB FOLLICULITIS. Thankfully I'm the only one in the family with the problem. I've given the tub a massive chlorine shock,drained it and cleaned it, thoroughly cleaning the filter. I have now refilled it and it looks very inviting.
Has anybody else had this problem. How long till I can use my tub ?
I am on antibiotics and still itching .  What can I do to prevent this happening again ?
regards Richard
 :'(

Hot Tub Forum

hot tub folliculitis
« on: January 01, 2008, 02:12:41 pm »

Cyn

Re: hot tub folliculitis
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2008, 02:44:01 pm »
What are your chemicals of choice?  Dichlor, N-2, ozonator, bromine?  What is your regimen with the chemicals?  

grizz

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2008, 03:00:59 pm »
Hi,
I use bromine and check with the test strips daily dosing accordingly keeping PH within the the OK range.
I shock with Spa LIte oxidiser once every 2 weeks.
 Thanks for your help,

Richard

Cyn

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2008, 03:07:13 pm »
Hi Richard...I thought I would get the ball running, but I do not have any experience with bromine usage.  Hopefully one of our faithful bromine users will chime in for you before everyone returns to work tomorrow...or actually they maybe more likely to chime in from work tomorrow  ;)  Good luck...wish I could help.

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2008, 05:47:33 pm »
You say you keep pH in range.  What about bromine reading.

Oxidizing every week with cover off is recommended.

I am curious about the diagnosis.  If you are the only one effected and everyone else uses tub makes me wonder.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2008, 06:43:01 pm »
I was thinking the same thing as hottubdan wrote.

Are you using a floater that puts in the bromine/chlorine? Did you use the bromine reserve that is for startup? What was the readings for bromine on a weekly or daily basis?

If the proper amount of sanitizer was used I can't see how you got HOT TUB FOLLICULITIS especially after 12 weeks.

Cyn

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2008, 06:47:25 pm »
I have read that hot tub folliculitis, for some odd reason, does affect men more than women.  

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2008, 08:09:25 pm »
Everyone has a different level of resistance to bacteria, so it is possible and common for one person to be affected while another is not.  The only way to get hot tub folliculitis is to let the sanitizer level get low.  Crystal clear water does not necessarily mean safe water.  As hottubdan mentioned, oxidizing weekly rather than every two weeks may be in order to regenerate the bromine to the better sanitizing form of the chemical on a more regular basis.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2008, 08:15:23 pm by tony »

kokanee001

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2008, 08:30:27 pm »
I used my Vanguard all summer w/o incident. Then suddenly this fall, I developed a rash. Doc gave me a prescription cream for the itch (worked great). I dumped the water, cleaned the tub and filters, waited till all the spots were gone (almost a month). Went in the water and got a rash again. Went back to the doc, told him my sanitizer levels were great, but I got the rash back.

He said: Hard to tell the difference between chemical dermatitis and rash caused by Pseudonomas arugulera. Also said pseudonomas is very antibiotic resistant and only some antibiotics will work, but they have to be carefully monitored. He suggested I try adjusting some of my chemicals (one at a time) to see if possibly the rash was caused chemically.

The same info was given to me by my HS dealer who seems quite knowledgeable.

BTW, my son and his girlfriend don't seem to be affected.

Doc also said I might be overly sensitive to the chemicals or the bacteria; but then again, there should be no bacteria in water that's well sanitized.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2008, 10:01:50 pm »
Some people have reactions to non chlorine shock as well.

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2008, 10:09:25 pm »
I know it is unpopular around here, but these could be perfect BaquaSpa applications.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2008, 10:19:37 pm »
I know it is unpopular around here, but these could be perfect BaquaSpa applications.

Actualy I think you are right. If someone has tried bromine and/or chlorine and it isn't right then Baqua might be the way to go.

kokanee001

« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2008, 10:47:37 pm »
I was on bromine when I got my first rash. The HS dealer thought I might have become allergic or sensitive to the bromine and suggested I switch to chlorine. After dumping, cleaning and switching, I got my second bout. That's when I talked to my doc.

Gonna try lowering the level of the chlorine just to the low end of the safe range. If that fails, I'll raise the pH just a tad or two.

kokanee001

« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2008, 10:50:21 pm »
I don't know anything about the Baquaspa method. Will have to research that. Thanx. :o

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2008, 11:35:57 pm »
I was on bromine when I got my first rash. The HS dealer thought I might have become allergic or sensitive to the bromine and suggested I switch to chlorine.

What type of bromine system? Most bromine tablets contain up to 60% CHLORINE.

Doc also said I might be overly sensitive to the chemicals or the bacteria; but then again, there should be no bacteria in water that's well sanitized.

Not necessarily 100% true. If you were to have a bio film that's formed somewhere (in the plumbing), it could release small amounts of bacteria into the water. No sanitizer kills instantly. Some bacteria takes up to 20 minutes or more to be killed.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2008, 11:39:32 pm by lets »
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2008, 11:35:57 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42